Bills are winning the battle in the trenches

Magox

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Except for the key spot. Ekwonu continues to be rough at left tackle. But agree the other four have been reasonably solid. 

Terrible early down pass rate and 2nd and long run rate.  They are run, run, pass punt.  With the obvious play action roll out to flat or tunnel screen for no gain sprinkled in for flare. 

10 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Yeah, I think those grades were BS.

I put little into pff grades.  Especially, interior line play and second level defenders. 

• Like (+1) 1

I tend to agree the Bills' lines have looked good

But these grades seem like random guessing, or to be kinder, highly subjective 

Look at the Packers and Chargers in the last image. Grades range between 15 and 91 (!) and 26 and 92 (!). 

Pretty wild range of grades for people watching the same game!!

And the Pats have an actual 0 rating from one source 😂

Edited by ScottishBills
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, balln said:

So why is Josh Allen bailing out of pockets 

Sometimes -- not always, but sometimes -- I think he does it because there's nothing open, and his being on the move manipulates defenses in a way that allows someone to get open.

The play against the Dolphins where he hit Ty Johnson for 30+ yards was one such play. I don't recall whether or not Allen was actually under pressure on that play, but the threat of his breaking the pocket and rolling right commanded just enough attention and respect from the defensive players on that side of the field that it allowed Johnson to get open against the Dolphins' zone defense for a big gain.

So I think that in part, Josh will always sometimes bail from clean pockets. It's something that's been on his tape going back to Wyoming. But I think sometimes he also intentionally does it as a way to create offense where there is none to be had.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

The last game in particular, I don't recall such a domination by a Bills OLine. Yet in the past, both the DLines and the OLines have had dominant games in stretches followed by bad ones. I never could get it. I wasn't a clear cut thing like opposition, schemes or injuries. Anyway, regardless, this is great! Josh had to play Hero Ball on game 1 but besides that, the safeties, LBs, WRs, TEs have had little to do so far yet both are wins. Both lines and the corners are dominating, and of course JA17 is there.

Bills DOMINATED Cowboys and ran ball down their throats when they knew they were going to run.

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Sometimes -- not always, but sometimes -- I think he does it because there's nothing open, and his being on the move manipulates defenses in a way that allows someone to get open.

The play against the Dolphins where he hit Ty Johnson for 30+ yards was one such play. I don't recall whether or not Allen was actually under pressure on that play, but the threat of his breaking the pocket and rolling right commanded just enough attention and respect from the defensive players on that side of the field that it allowed Johnson to get open against the Dolphins' zone defense for a big gain.

So I think that in part, Josh will always sometimes bail from clean pockets. It's something that's been on his tape going back to Wyoming. But I think sometimes he also intentionally does it as a way to create offense where there is none to be had.

This. 👆

But also because it's funner 'n hell. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Simon said:

This. 👆

But also because it's funner 'n hell. 

I actually get a jolt of confidence when I see Josh rolling right. It's when he's at his most lethal. I'm actually MORE confident in him making a big play when I see him roll out than I am when he's standing there in a clean pocket. I'd be willing to bet that if you put together a 10 minute highlight video of Josh Allen's best career plays, the majority of them would come with him bailing from the pocket, clean or not.

If I was a defense, my number one objective going into each Bills game would be "keep Josh Allen from rolling right". Easier said than done, since Josh is what would happen if an elite purebread golden retriever made a baby with a tank. Grown ass man. Must have a hose like a can of tennis balls hangin there. Like an 80s policeman's flashlight hangin there. Like a baby's arm holdin an apple hangin there. The dude absolutely fux.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Logic said:

I actually get a jolt of confidence when I see Josh rolling right. It's when he's at his most lethal. I'm actually MORE confident in him making a big play when I see him roll out than I am when he's standing there in a clean pocket. I'd be willing to bet that if you put together a 10 minute highlight video of Josh Allen's best career plays, the majority of them would come with him bailing from the pocket, clean or not.

If I was a defense, my number one objective going into each Bills game would be "keep Josh Allen from rolling right". Easier said than done, since Josh is what would happen if an elite purebread golden retriever made a baby with a tank. Grown ass man. Must have a hose like a can of tennis balls hangin there. Like an 80s policeman's flashlight hangin there. Like a baby's arm holdin an apple hangin there. The dude absolutely fux.

If he gets out clean to his right, my ass automatically starts sliding forward on its own til it gets to the end of the couch, then my feet instinctively scoot back under my ass, then my chin drops a little and I am suddenly and involuntarily in full launch position to jump over the coffee table without hitting my head on the ceiling fan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

There is an old saying in football, “ The game is won and lost in the trenches” 

Every offensive plays outcome rides on  the O-lines execution, 

in importance on offense, it is  the QB, then the O-line, skill players are third, like it or not, 

Every Defensive play calls outcome rides on the D-Line execution,

if they don’t execute the D backs are effectively screwed, 

it is what it is, 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Punching Bag said:

True analytics are willing to update their formula; false ones make up reason why analysis is correct and time will tell.

Did we really need these charts to tell us the Bills are winning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball?  We all watched the games.  The Bills have run the ball well, which doesn't happen without the OL winning upfront.  Josh has had clean pockets and rarely have teams pressured him through 2 weeks; another sign the line is winning. 

Groot, Miller, Oliver etc  have consistently pressured two explosive QB, shutting down to potent passing attacks and we are holding up against the run on defense.  The counting stats show this as well. 

Advanced analytics are interesting, but most of the time they just confirm what we already knew.

Maybe it’s not true, but my gut tells me our OL is much better under Brady than Dorsey.  Scheme and coaching (execution) is a big part of it.

we better be careful, Brady is destined to be Carolina’s head coach next year. 

• Haha (+1) 1