Eric Moulds

If they put 8 in the box, then that Bltiz by the CB is coming on pretty fast...

If our OL can't handle that then JP might not have time to throw to the

3 open WRs...

Up until now, only Flutie could avoid the blitz with his mobility. It'll be interesting to watch 3 things during blitzes this year:

(1) JPL's collectiveness under fire--does he try to do too much

(2) Our ability to stave off the blitz with WMcG, Bennie, Gandy, and an improved MW

(3) Any change in the TE's role when there's a blitz and the Bills must improvise

Who drops more balls than TO does? Face it: if Moulds played on a team that had a legit offensive scheme and a consistent QB, especially one that would allow Eric to get RAC yards he would definitely be a top 5 WR. If he had left for Philly back when he was a free agent, McNabb wouldn't be having this fued with TO and he'd probably have a ring or two as well. Face it our QB's and gameplans have sucked for the years Moulds have been here and that goes hand in hand. I always wondered why don't we throw more timing passes, quick slants, etc, routes that allow RAC yards but then I realized that all of our QB's either were too slow in setup and recognition or too short. I just feel for Moulds for while he will still be considered good, imagine if he had played a few years earlier in our K-Gun offense. He'd be a Hall of Famer!

363131[/snapback]

You couldn't be more off of the mark. Moulds drops a lot of passes. More than TO and of course he isn't the playmaker TO is either. How soon we forget that up until that second loss in NE last year, the dropped passes by receivers were a big reason for the poor offensive showing. At the end of that game, the ESPN announcers ripped the Bills receivers for their relative stone-hands vs. those of the Patriots much less heralded corps.

As for McNabb having a ring if Moulds were in Philly. Not likely. Up until last season, the Eagles were overachievers in a fairly weak conference. McNabb is not an accurate passer, having TO in the fold gave him a huge target and a playmaker who really helped him raise his game. Moulds is not the TD producer/red zone factor that TO is.

More timing passes and quick slants? We had that with Sheppard. Moulds hated it. Probably because he drops enough passes to kill a drive or two every game. If you are going to play like a WCO team, your receivers need to catch all of those "extended handoffs".

As for Moulds being in the K-Gun, he did play with Kelly when Kelly was calling plays. Moulds sucked for his first two seasons. If his career numbers are disappointing, it's because he didn't take his game seriously early on. It's not the QB's fault.

I'm not a Moulds hater, but having him is like having a .275 hitter who hits 25-30 HR in your outfield. It's good, but it's not great. No way is he a top 5 receiver. Not even close. He tries to come off like the smartest guy on the team, but he makes his share of incorrect reads and drops way too many passes. For my money, a guy like Lee Evans with great speed, great hands and who has been much quicker to adapt to the NFL is likely to be a better player than Moulds, whose career is all about peaks and valleys because of his lack of consistency.

Moulds is a very, very good player who makes extraordinary plays at times, and he is one of few receivers in the league that can literally do it all. He is big and fast, can beat you short, deep, break tackles, run after catch, leap, take the ball away from defenders, score touchdowns, play big in big games, etc. He simply drops too many balls that are right in his hands to be considered great or in the top five. If he only did this once in a while, as all receivers drop some, he could be considered great. But he just blows far too many, and they have hurt us.

363084[/snapback]

Thank God I'm not the only one who's noticed this and have actually pointed it out here. The last few years, Eric, has hurt his QB more than he has helped him. No way should he drop easy passes like he has.

Thank God I'm not the only one who's noticed this and have actually pointed it out here.  The last few years, Eric, has hurt his QB more than he has helped him.  No way should he drop easy passes like he has.

363872[/snapback]

It really has seemed that over the past 3 years we have had TONS of drops from everyone. Moulds is the case at hand, but Evans dropped a bunch of easy ones, Reed made every catch his rookie year, now drops 70% thrown his way, Remiersma was a solid TE until he dropped 3 a game his last year....I don't remember the 90's Bills, other than Lonnie Johnson and Don Beebe having the dropsies.

Moulds has top 5 talent, but isn't top 5. Ever since his hammy, he's lost his breakaway speed. That was Andre's undoing also.

Now last year, Moulds dropped a lot of passes. But over his career he hasn't been known to drop that many catches as the issue of him dropping catches has nver came up before - until we drafted Lee Evans. The fans on this board are sick an forgetful; once a player has one off year, a contract year, or see another potential replacemenet they start bashing the incumbent. Like I've stated before TO drops way more passes than Moulds and that is the knock on TO is that he drops the occansional pass. But he makes way more plays than Moulds for he played with better QBs in better systems. In the first 5 games last year everybody here was all on Moulds you know what for he was all the offense we had as he scored most of our TD's. Granted in the second half of the season his play slipped as he UNCHARACTERISTICALLY dropped a lot of passes. Does that mean that he sucks know because Lee Evans stepped his play up in the second half of the season. Let Moulds get hurt and then we will see all the fans who are starting to mildly bash him satrt to say what if we Moulds hadn't got hurt. If you had a poll right now as to which season injury would effect the Bills more, one to Moulds or to Evans and a lot of those would go with the hot guy Evans. But in reality which seems more formidable: 2 smurf WRs in Evans and Parrish or Parrish and Moulds? The second would be for Moulds is irreplaceable on this offense for no other WR on this team could beat good press coverage.

I doubt that opposing defensive coordinators take Moulds lightly. He certainly was guilty of a bunch or drops, but since the departed QB seemed to think that the best placement of a 10 - 15 yard pass was a rocket into the groin area or the top of the skull, I'll cut some slack. :devil:

Ok. Here is Moulds stats from nfl.com

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

1996 Buffalo Bills 16 5 20 279 14.0 47 2 4 1 11

1997 Buffalo Bills 16 8 29 294 10.1 32 0 1 0 18

1998 Buffalo Bills 16 15 67 1368 20.4 84 9 22 8 54

1999 Buffalo Bills 14 14 65 994 15.3 54 7 13 6 44

2000 Buffalo Bills 16 16 94 1326 14.1 52 5 23 4 62

2001 Buffalo Bills 16 16 67 904 13.5 80 5 13 5 42

2002 Buffalo Bills 16 15 100 1292 12.9 70 10 14 6 64

2003 Buffalo Bills 13 13 64 780 12.2 49 1 10 1 35

2004 Buffalo Bills 16 16 88 1043 11.9 49 5 12 2 53

TOTAL 139 118 594 8280 13.9 84 44 112 33 383