Eric Moulds

Eric Moulds has never been considered a top 5 receiver in the league. Sure he gets respect, but he is never mentioned in the same sentence as Moss, Harrison, and Owens.

In my opinion Eric Moulds life time stats has suffered because he has never had any consistency at QB

Look at the QBs that Eric had since he was a rookie.

Kelly - 1st year (I think?)

Todd Collins (sucked)

RJ (hurt)

Flutie (short)

RJ :doh:

Drew (knocked down 1/2 of the time)

Losman <_<

You also have to think that EM has had as many Offensive Coordinators.

This is all a BIG What if? But I wonder where Eric Moulds would be ranked if he had 1 or 2 decent QBs in his career.

This is all a BIG What if?  But I wonder where Eric Moulds would be ranked if he had 1 or 2 decent QBs in his career.

363049[/snapback]

He'd be ranked prett high...whichever team he left Buffalo for.

great WRs make QBs better.

Garcia sucks. but Owens made him a probowler.

moulds is a top WR, but wont make a sucky QB a probowler.

363063[/snapback]

Flutie and Bledsoe both made the Pro Bowl with Moulds as their primary receiver.

Moulds is a very, very good player who makes extraordinary plays at times, and he is one of few receivers in the league that can literally do it all. He is big and fast, can beat you short, deep, break tackles, run after catch, leap, take the ball away from defenders, score touchdowns, play big in big games, etc. He simply drops too many balls that are right in his hands to be considered great or in the top five. If he only did this once in a while, as all receivers drop some, he could be considered great. But he just blows far too many, and they have hurt us.

Moulds is a very, very good player who makes extraordinary plays at times, and he is one of few receivers in the league that can literally do it all. He is big and fast, can beat you short, deep, break tackles, run after catch, leap, take the ball away from defenders, score touchdowns, play big in big games, etc. He simply drops too many balls that are right in his hands to be considered great or in the top five. If he only did this once in a while, as all receivers drop some, he could be considered great. But he just blows far too many, and they have hurt us.

363084[/snapback]

And has not shown up at crucial times when the game is on the line. The only

game that I knew he really excelled and we still fell short was the playoffs

against Miami when he had 240 yards receiving or something close.

Other than that he has choked pretty good...especially against the Pats

in the last few years....

And has not shown up at crucial times when the game is on the line.  The only

363090[/snapback]

An argument could be made that it is the Offensive Coordin. job to come up with plays that get the ball in our playmaker's hands!

363090[/snapback]

Great point. I was at that game, and have never seen anything like it again. He was double covered, they knew it was going to him, and he just kept making big plays. Too bad he fumbled that first bomb, because I think we had a better chance that year with all the Flutie momentum.

IMO moulds is a great WR who doesnt get the credit he should, and hes easily was a top-5 WR in the league...i think the reason he was never mentioned with the top tier of WR's is mostly because others dont necessarily hafta game plan for him...yes they need to keep an eye on him and he draws the top defenders, but with moss, owens, and harrison, you specifically need to plan your defense with them in mind on every play...i dont think this is the case with moulds...

that being said, hes a great WR, and still one of my favorite all time Bills...

363090[/snapback]

I disagree with that. Moulds has had huge games against Miami all throughout his career, his latest coming this past season in Miami. Two years ago he was a huge contributor against Cincinnati. Back in the Johnson/Flutie days he almost single-handedly beat the Chargers at home. He had over 100 yards against the Pats in Buffalo last season.

These are games just off the top of my head, but if you check the stats, you'll see that Moulds has been an excellent contributor to the offense.

363084[/snapback]

Who drops more balls than TO does? Face it: if Moulds played on a team that had a legit offensive scheme and a consistent QB, especially one that would allow Eric to get RAC yards he would definitely be a top 5 WR. If he had left for Philly back when he was a free agent, McNabb wouldn't be having this fued with TO and he'd probably have a ring or two as well. Face it our QB's and gameplans have sucked for the years Moulds have been here and that goes hand in hand. I always wondered why don't we throw more timing passes, quick slants, etc, routes that allow RAC yards but then I realized that all of our QB's either were too slow in setup and recognition or too short. I just feel for Moulds for while he will still be considered good, imagine if he had played a few years earlier in our K-Gun offense. He'd be a Hall of Famer!

I disagree with that.  Moulds has had huge games against Miami all throughout his career, his latest coming this past season in Miami.  Two years ago he was a huge contributor against Cincinnati.  Back in the Johnson/Flutie days he almost single-handedly beat the Chargers at home.  He had over 100 yards against the Pats in Buffalo last season. 

These are games just off the top of my head, but if you check the stats, you'll see that Moulds has been an excellent contributor to the offense.

363108[/snapback]

My point was that he has not been consistently the clutch player that a

TO or a Marvin Harrison has been...or even a Hines Ward for the steelers...

Eric is a good player and he has done very well for the bills during the

last 10 years when our offense has been in a constant flex, but still as

some one mentioned TO made the SF QBs look great (look how garcia

fared when he got out of SF).....The same goes for Hines Ward too....

The steelers have had a constant flux in their QBs ......from Maddox to

Kordelll to Ben over the years....and still has managed to get good #s

and more importantnly has made all the clutch plays whether it is

getting the TDs or getting the 1st down....

My point was that he has not been consistently the clutch player that a

TO or a Marvin Harrison has been...or even a Hines Ward for the steelers...

Eric is a good player and he has done very well for the bills during the

last 10 years when our offense has been in a constant flex, but still as

some one mentioned TO made the SF QBs look great (look how garcia

fared when he got out of SF).....The same goes for Hines Ward too....

The steelers have had a constant flux in their QBs ......from Maddox to

Kordelll to Ben over the years....and still has managed to get good #s

and more importantnly has made all the clutch plays whether it is

getting the TDs or getting the 1st down....

363172[/snapback]

Actually what you said was that the only big game Moulds ever played was the Miami playoff game, which was wrong. That's what I replied to.

It's much different than comparing Moulds to other WRs in the league, although I believe that he also stacks up better than you suggest.

While Owens and Ward have made their QBs look good, I've pointed out in a previous message that Moulds has helped two of his QBs make the pro bowl.

I think that the perception of inconsistency with Moulds comes from his injury history. He had good seasons in 2002 and 2004, but was injured in 2003.

I wouldn't rank him top five. I do think EM's output suffered after the departure of Peerless Price. Having Bledsoe flounder for his life didn't help either.

Now, having an emerging Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish (please God!) and the continued success of Willis, should loosen up the double teams that Moulds has had in the most recent past. A quality, dependable tight end would be nice as would be a competent offensive line to further the education of one Jonathan Paul Losman.

Did I leave anyone out? Oh yeah! Don't drop the bawl Eric! Squeeze de bawl like a bag of dinero!

If Eric Moulds actually had a good quaterback he'd be a top 5 wr. He's worked with some really lousy quaterbacks none of who are the caliber of daunte culpepper, peyton manning, donovan mcnabb, jon kitna and carson palmer. Instead he gets the likes of flutie, rob johnson, alex van pelt, drew bledsoe and the unknown in JP Losman not to mention we haven't exactaly had a good coach or all around productive offense in quite awhile.

Maybe it's cause it's been of a lack of weapons around him. Owens in san fran also worked with steve young, jerry rice when rice was still productive, garrison hearst, uber productive fullback fred beasley not to mention charlie garner. Owens has constantly been on a team where there was other productive players around him. The same could be said for Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson, torry holt and hines ward.

While Eric Moulds really didn't start until levy retired and than was surrounded by the great supporting cast of antowain smith, kamil loud, quinn early, really old andre reed, kevin williams, jay reimersma. Not exactaly Marshall Faulk, kurt warner, ike bruce, Edgerin James, chris carter, marcus pollard,reggie wayne, brandon stokley dallas clark or culpepper mcnabb or manning :w00t:

While Moulds has obviousily declined some, He's a still an upper echelon wr, and I'm happy to have him play for my team.

after his 1st year with bledsoe he was in the same breath with moss harrison owens....... he has drifted back ever since.

go bills. go eric

363545[/snapback]

Well that was 2003, when he was injured a good part of the year. He had a solid year last season.

I always wondered why don't we throw more timing passes, quick slants, etc, routes that allow RAC yards but then I realized that all of our QB's either were too slow in setup and recognition or too short. I just feel for Moulds for while he will still be considered good, imagine if he had played a few years earlier in our K-Gun offense. He'd be a Hall of Famer!

I think this is it. Moulds may like the current situation the best of the last 6 QB's that have thrown to him. He'll profit from teams trying to stop the running of McG, and he'll like having Evans-Parrish when they go 3-wide. In time, he'll also profit from the timing passes and quick outs you speak of.

I'd like to see teams put 8 in the box and try to go 1 on 1 with Moulds-Evans-Parrish, and later with the TE's in full swing.

I'd like to see teams put 8 in the box and try to go 1 on 1 with Moulds-Evans-Parrish, and later with the TE's in full swing.

363579[/snapback]

If they put 8 in the box, then that Bltiz by the CB is coming on pretty fast...

If our OL can't handle that then JP might not have time to throw to the

3 open WRs...

We all love Eric and his play here...The question by the original poster was

not whether he is the bills best player (which he is), but is he on equal footing

with the NFL bests like Moss, TO etc......Unfortunately, he has not had the

same impact...I don't buy the argument by the previous poster as to him

not having quality support cast...For two years he had Henry running for

over 1300 yards....He had Willis run for 1100 yards last year...