Long-term future of the Bills defensive backfield?

GASabresIUFan

Douglas is our best DB and I'd welcome re-signing him so long he not getting franchise (see top 10) CB money as he about to hit 30 and could see his trajectory lower. Benford is an up and comer and would like to keep him beyond his current contract but would hope it be team friendly. I would also retain Lewis and Ingram. I would move on from Elam unless he shows something later this season. So next years we'd have CBs Hardy, Codrington maybe a Round 1-3 ipick n the mix to be a long term replacement for Douglas or replace Benford if his contract get out of hand in two more seasons. At Safety I appreciate what Hamlin's done but think he's best served as a depth guy behind Rapp and Bishop, I'd welcome bringing a veteran to replace Hamlin and maybe take a chance on a kid in Rounds 5-7 to man the 4th Safety spot. 

I might be wrong but I think Elam for the most part could go out and play for us based on his coverage skills.  Aside from having two great starters I think the reason Elam doesn't see more time is because he gets run over all the time.  I don't think he's trusted to tackle guys in the open field.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ingram started over him if Douglas or Benford went down not because Elam can't cover but because Ingram can bring a RB down.  Bishop would appear be have been drafted to play more of Poyer or Rapp role so I'm guessing Hamlin is playing Hyde's.  Although our safeties are as close to interchangeable in coverages as it gets so I'm not sure if you can read anything into that.  It wouldn't surprise me if Ingram ends up in the mix somewhere.  He seems to make plays every chance they give him.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Like anything else, the answer is it depends. How does Douglas play in the next 15 games? Does Douglas stay healthy? How does Elam play when he gets a chance? What is our cap situation?  Does Douglas want to be here or is the biggest payday his only concern? How big is Benford’s extension? Does McBeane think Elam or Ingram could do the job just as well?  Ultimately this could be a Gilmore situation in that he takes his services to the highest bidder each year.  If so, Beane lets him go, but I don’t think we can say for sure he won’t be back.  You may put the odds close to zero, but I’m more in the 50/50 camp.

I wouldn't say zero.... but 80/20 against. Because I believe he does want the maxim pay. You have to remember this is not a guy with big career earnings (relative to the NFL average for a player of his ilk) because he broke out late. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't say zero.... but 80/20 against. Because I believe he does want the maxim pay. You have to remember this is not a guy with big career earnings (relative to the NFL average for a player of his ilk) because he broke out late. 

I'm not losing sleep for Rasul.  His career earnings are 25 million and going up from there.  I wouldn't begrudge Douglas going for the money, but at the same time, winning is important to these guys.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I'm not losing sleep for Rasul.  His career earnings are 25 million and going up from there.  I wouldn't begrudge Douglas going for the money, but at the same time, winning is important to these guys.

Again, if it was that important to him he'd have got something done with them last offseason. He is going to go where the money is best and that won't be here.

15 hours ago, mrags said:

More likely that they would give Benford a new contract and allow Douglas to walk while taking the 3rd or 4th comp pick, and using that pick on an other CB to replenish the ranks. Benford, Elam (5th year option), Johnson, Ingram, Lewis, rookie. 

they arent picking up a 5th yr option on Elam.

I think Douglas walks, Benford is extended. We go FA at CB and draft another

4 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

It all really depends on how Elam, Bishop, and Edwards progress through the year.

If they grow nicely, we can let Rasul go and have a solid DB room. 

I would love Elam to come alive in this defense. 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

11m is fairly cap friendly for a veteran CB.

Maybe for a decent player, but Elam isn't even a decent player.  He is a career backup that doesn't see the field.  No one is paying 11 mill for such a player.  Even if he becomes a starter next year, the Bills won't be keeping him for 11 million.  Taron Johnson's second contract was 3 years 24,000,000.  

40 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Maybe for a decent player, but Elam isn't even a decent player.  He is a career backup that doesn't see the field.  No one is paying 11 mill for such a player.  Even if he becomes a starter next year, the Bills won't be keeping him for 11 million.  Taron Johnson's second contract was 3 years 24,000,000.  

Sure 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Again, if it was that important to him he'd have got something done with them last offseason. He is going to go where the money is best and that won't be here.

Repeating this doesn't make it true.  I honestly believe that Beane is taking a wait and see approach to the position. 

One other note, Douglas is excelling in our system.  I'm not sure there is another perfect fit for him elsewhere given his athletic profile and age. 

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Repeating this doesn't make it true.  I honestly believe that Beane is taking a wait and see approach to the position. 

One other note, Douglas is excelling in our system.  I'm not sure there is another perfect fit for him elsewhere given his athletic profile and age. 

It seems very plausible and I would say very highly likely Beane wanted to extend Douglass with his contract vs just modify it for void years.  Obviously they did not agree on terms so they did the restructure.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH