Long-term future of the Bills defensive backfield?

GASabresIUFan

At CB: The starters are Douglas, Johnson and Benford.  Ingram and Lewis are proving to be capable backups at the nickel and dime.  Douglas is a UFA after this season, but carries a dead cap in 2025 is already 4.125 and another 1.375 in 2026 and 2027 if not re-signed.  The primary backup at boundary corner looks to be Elam.  Elam's dead cap if released after this season is 4.356.  Johnson is signed through 2027, but there is an out in 2026.  Benford is signed through 2025 a very cheap rookie deal.  I can see him being extended next off-season.  Ingram (27), is also signed through 2025 and is an RFA in 2026.  Lewis (also 27) is signed though 2025 as well and then a UFA.

So what's the plan?  Obviously, Benford, Ingram, Johnson, and Lewis will all return next season.  The question is re-sign Douglas and keep Elam as a backup, or let Douglas walk and give Ingram or Elam a shot at the job.  My guess is Beane re-signs Douglas for a year and trades Elam for whatever he can get.

At Safety Hamlin and Rapp are currently starting and they seem to be doing an adequate job.  Bishop and Edwards are now healthy and getting some reps.  Edwards has a one year deal and is an UFA after this season.  Bishop is signed through 2027 on a rookie deal and is the future at safety.  Rapp is signed through 2026 at 3.7 for 2025 and 4 for 2026.  Dead cap to move on is only 1.33 in 2025 and 667K in 2026.   Hamlin is on the last year of his rookie deal and is a UFA.  The only thing I'm certain of here is Bishop will be starter next season.  McBeane can clear the rest out if he unimpressed with some or all of the group at minimal cost.  Is Rapp's play so far worth 3.7 next season?  Would you keep Hamlin?  I suspect this will be Edwards only season here.

Thoughts?

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm guessing Rasul has an impressive year and the Bills let him walk to somebody for a huge contract, recouping the draft pick they gave up to get him in the form of a compensatory pick.

This is certainly possible, but Beane typically likes stability and I've also seen it argued the Douglas could convert to safety at some point.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFan said:

This is certainly possible, but Beane typically likes stability and I've seen it argued the Douglas could convert to safety at some point.

More likely that they would give Benford a new contract and allow Douglas to walk while taking the 3rd or 4th comp pick, and using that pick on an other CB to replenish the ranks. Benford, Elam (5th year option), Johnson, Ingram, Lewis, rookie. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

25 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm guessing Rasul has an impressive year and the Bills let him walk to somebody for a huge contract, recouping the draft pick they gave up to get him in the form of a compensatory pick.

I assume Douglas gets that big FA contract.  Elam will move to a starter in his final year.  Ingram, Benford, Hardy will be in the mix for CB position and we will draft a CB in the 1st or 2nd round next year. 

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Simon said:

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

More likely that they would give Benford a new contract and allow Douglas to walk while taking the 3rd or 4th comp pick, and using that pick on an other CB to replenish the ranks. Benford, Elam (5th year option), Johnson, Ingram, Lewis, rookie. 

Can't really count on compensatory picks as we have found out the last couple of years.  We got screwed out of a 3rd rd pick by the NFL just this past draft.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Can't really count on compensatory picks as we have found out the last couple of years.  We got screwed out of a 3rd rd pick by the NFL just this past draft.

You may be right about that. But still doesn’t matter. They will roll with an extended Benford, Elam on a 5th year option, Johnson, Ingram who has been a great find most like Benford, and Lewis. They’ll get another DB in the draft regardless of comp pick or not. They might even trade Elam for a mid-late round pick instead of picking up the 5th year option.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, mrags said:

You may be right about that. But still doesn’t matter. They will roll with an extended Benford, Elam on a 5th year option, Johnson, Ingram who has been a great find most like Benford, and Lewis. They’ll get another DB in the draft regardless of comp pick or not. They might even trade Elam for a mid-late round pick instead of picking up the 5th year option.

No way they pickup his 5th year option.  If he does become the starter, it would be much cheaper given Elam's track record to sign him to some kind of extension.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

No way they pickup his 5th year option.  If he does become the starter, it would be much cheaper given Elam's track record to sign him to some kind of extension.  

It’s currently projected to be around the $11m mark. High but not too high for a starting CB. Would they pick it up to be a backup? Probably not. But if they have Ingram on a sweet cheap deal, they may opt for the option on Elam just to ensure a familiar player with the system continues for at least one extra year until another draft pick can assume the role. 

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If the Bills planned to extend Douglas they'd have done it last summer. The fact that they left it a one year commitment and just moved money around for cap relief tells me they don't see him as part of the long term plan. Of course that could change but right here, right now, I say they let him walk. 

That was my initial reaction when they restructured his deal instead of extending him, but what if they decided to see how things progress with season with both Douglas and Elam before making a decision.  Assuming for arguments sake that Douglas and Benford continue to play at their current level for the entire season.  Are they really going to let Douglas walk when they are developing one of best boundary corner tandems in the NFL?  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

That was my initial reaction when they restructured his deal instead of extending him, but if they decided to see how things progress with season with both Douglas and Elam before making a decision.  Assuming for arguments sake that Douglas and Benford continue to play at their current level for the entire season.  Are they really going to let Douglas walk when they are developing one of best boundary corner tandems in the NFL?  

If Douglas wants a pay day? Yes they will. He is 30. If he is willing to do the sort of deal Hyde and Poyer were doing at that stage.... 2 years, moderate cash, spread over 3 years with a void year.... then sure I can see them bringing him back. But based on how last spring happened my guess is Douglas isn't looking for that. He is either looking for a long commitment or a proper pay day. Fair to say from the rumours out there that was one of the less straightforward conversations Beane had with agents last summer. If he has a better 2024 I don't see how that gets any easier?

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

This is certainly possible, but Beane typically likes stability and I've seen it argued the Douglas could convert to safety at some point.

People like to always talk about corners converting to safety, but how often does that actually ever happen? Not too often.

The issue with Douglas is that he has always had a modest athletic profile, so the thought is that when he gets older, his drop-off will be steep because he never had much athleticism or speed to start off with.

4 hours ago, Simon said:

The only thing against Douglas is possibly his age.  I can see a reasonable two year extension, and if he wants something more, we let him test the market.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The only thing against Douglas is possibly his age.  I can see a reasonable two year extension, and if he wants something more, we let him test the market.

I agree with this, Douglas has been great since we traded for him. The thing I’m most surprised about is Ingram being 27 years old! Thought we had a young star in the making. Poor guy will only get one decent contract in his career 

29 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

That was the sticking point last spring as I understand it. He wasn't in the market for a shorter, moderate pay day deal. You have to remember the first 4 or 5 years of his career he didn't make a lot of money. He got 3 years $21m from the Packers (the contract we inherited) but that is so far his only real pay day. He is looking to cash in as much as he can his last shot at making money before retirement. 

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

I assume Douglas gets that big FA contract.  Elam will move to a starter in his final year.  Ingram, Benford, Hardy will be in the mix for CB position and we will draft a CB in the 1st or 2nd round next year. 

yep, no need to pay up for CBs in this zone quarters defense.  Just roll another strong athlete who can tackle and react and move forward.  

if we make a super bowl of afc chip game, i think we will keep as much of the young talent as possible.  if we actually win the superbowl, i think we'd ink up douglas and other older guys to to keep continuity. 

if we falter, miss playoffs, or are 1 or 2 and done again, only the younger brighter looking guys get kept.

• Agree 1