Oh boy: Bills worked out 2 Kickers

Big Blitz

I glad McDermott is challenging him by bringing in completion. They are looking for a response from Bass. Buffalo needs a kicker who can line up fearlessly with the likes of Butker, Fairbairn Tucker. Fairbairn has six FG over 50 yards already. (While that is good kicking, it’s also indicative of an anemic offense) Great move by McBean to address the problem early in the year. It would gut the team if Bass fails us in another big situation. Then it’s back to the kitty shelter full time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

No slip, and Bass always does the hop too.

actually, I was just watching some YouTube videos, and other kickers do that hop too. I would have assumed you just want to plant that foot and kick through (which is what butker does). But I guess the hop might be another way to kick and remain on balance. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Harris 69 said:

I glad McDermott is challenging him by bringing in completion. They are looking for a response from Bass. Buffalo needs a kicker who can line up fearlessly with the likes of Butker, Fairbairn Tucker. Fairbairn has six FG over 50 yards already. (While that is good kicking, it’s also indicative of an anemic offense) Great move by McBean to address the problem early in the year. It would gut the team if Bass fails us in another big situation. Then it’s back to the kitty shelter full time. 

They are as much competition as "Wrong: Josh Rosen and Johnny Manziel.

4 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

That was not a yip it was a slip and the field was terrible.  Several non-kickers slipped. 

Maybe Bills equipment manager ought to look at extra cleats for the road.

Bass had a pretty up-and-down summer, with everything over 50 yards being a wild adventure.

All throughout OTAs and training camp, beat writers were sounding the alarm on him.

I get that he's made most of his kicks in live game action this year, but anyone who thinks he isn't in a bit of a psychological funk right now must not have been read what I read all summer long.

If you don't believe me, then what's the justification for the Bills suddenly working out two kickers?

Edited by Logic

6 hours ago, colin said:

this makes me think bass has some kind of injury or something.

his play has been poor enough to have done this last year, but im guessing something more immediate/material is afoot.

sucks that dude isn't bassomatic anymore

I agree!

Somethings afoot!!

🙈😮🙄

1 minute ago, Logic said:

If you don't believe me, then what's the justification for the Bills suddenly working out two kickers?

Two kickers who were cut for poor performance?

• They are updating their databases.  They have brought many players in who have not made practice squad.
  • Bass has physical issue whether remaining from cheap shot on field previous game last year or other sustained in practices/games.

If he was as bad as many claim on this board he would have been cur and replaced with a (cheap) UDFA.

• Disagree 1

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think the Bills could even waive Bass if they wanted to...his cap hit would put them over the cap. Cap hit would be $7.4 million plus the cost to sign another kicker.

Agreed Turk, but I think this play was to let him know he’s on notice, and provide an insurance policy if it keeps going south.

I hope he’s seeing a sports psychologist to get this back.

York is awful. One of the worst kickers in the league. Carlson had a rough rookie ride with the Packers last year and was inconsistent at the end of his stint at Auburn after an ACL tear but he has a big leg and the genes in the family with his brother. I think he is an interesting break glass in case of emergency option potentially, but I wouldn't be desperate to cut Bass for him unless it really gets untenable. 

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

yup just a poor kick. Still people think he slipped. 

I think his foot did slip slightly as he landed (though maybe it always slides slightly and you are just not always looking for it) but he just missed his contact point on the ball and almost kicked it with the top of his instep like a soccer free kick technique where you are trying to make the ball move. It was a really funky technique breakdown and that is really concerning. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I’m just glad they are acknowledging that they need to have a plan

Giants lost a game this weekend because they didn’t have a plan at kicker

I think it is more about the Giants and their old friends losing a game because they weren’t prepared. If Bass gets a wonky toe nail (or whatever injury) they’ll need a plan and this is the due diligence on that plan.