Oh boy: Bills worked out 2 Kickers

Big Blitz

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Is the USFL a haven for really accurate kickers who don't want to make that much money?

The UFL/USFL kickers intrigue me.  There's a few that look worthy of a tryout.

For instance, Matt Coghlin, Memphis Showboats.    I don't see where he's on an NFL team.

2024: 16/17 FG, Long of 57

2023: 18/19 FG, Long of 55

What makes this even more disheartening, is knowing that all the other contenders have absolute studs as kicker. 

KC - Butker

Cincy - McPherson

Houston - Fairburn

Balt - Tucker

Although Tucker is starting to get old, and showing signs of regression finally. But still better than Bass

Edited by Allen2Moulds

3 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

That field was terrible and NFL needs to do something about it.

York and Carlson both have been worse than Bass and are only suitable for emergency kickers.

Yeah apparently the University of Miami game that was played there Saturday was a disaster too for that.

24 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Unfortunately, Bass didn’t slip

Yes he did. Almost impossible to hit a ball that poorly unless you slip, and it had the same trajectory and direction as a slip would. 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah apparently the University of Miami game that was played there Saturday was a disaster too for that.

Yes he did. Almost impossible to hit a ball that poorly unless you slip, and it had the same trajectory and direction as a slip would. 

Link, hope it works. 

Would like to get your reaction…

8 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Link, hope it works. 

Would like to get your reaction…

It does not work for reddit.com does not conform to Google standards which includes tracing used in advertising. Firefox has no issues.

There is a video and discussion just like on this board but no additional facts.  You can see his foot slide to left from view behind him.

• Disagree 2

21 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:
27 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Expand  

Link, hope it works

The link worked fine.  I also watched the live replay several times and it was clear it wasn't blocked.  The other view shows he didn't slip, is the hop normal?  

It seems like kickers just keep getting better and a 50+ is sorta commonplace.  It is not good to have a kicker who is questionable even from 40+.

Edited by notpolian

4 hours ago, Logic said:

They want a kicker for the practice squad, so that if Bass keeps wildly shanking kicks like the one he shanked in Miami, they'll have someone who's had a bit of time in their operation waiting in the wings.

GOSH I hope Bass gets over his Yips. Kicker psychology is such a weird and inexplicable thing.

There's not many instances of that happening. What makes it worse is that Bass was not very good to begin with. But generally, when a kicker loses his confidence it almost never comes back. Think Mike Vanderjagt

3 hours ago, Sojourner said:

youre right. and during those 2 years he kicked at that percent was when he got his money.

distance doesn’t seem much different… 

2021: 40-49yards, 4/5. 50+yards, 2/4

2022: 40-49yards, 10/11. 50+yards, 2/3

2023: 40-49yards, 4/6. 50+yards, 4/6

2021: 20-39yards 22/23

2022: 20-39yards 15/17

2023: 20-39yards 16/17

again, I’d argue that if he kicks 5-10 more FGs a year, the % will be in that average success range (84-93%). 

the reason he’s coming under more criticism than years prior is the magnitude of the kicking he’s missed. statistically he’s pretty much been on par with where he was the first 3 years, 2020-22. 

You understand statistics. I agree. 

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think the Bills could even waive Bass if they wanted to...his cap hit would put them over the cap. Cap hit would be $7.4 million plus the cost to sign another kicker.

Not really.  Spotrac has his post June cut as saving $100k this year with a $4.3M dead cap this year.  His current cap is $4.4M.

The rest goes on next year's dead money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/47784/tyler-bass