Oh boy: Bills worked out 2 Kickers

Big Blitz

15 minutes ago, Negan said:

Writing is on the wall.  

I've heard of York, not sure about the other guy.

Both are pretty bad. Carlson missed 5 xps last year and was 50% from 40-49. York even worse at 75% overall.  This is what happens when you prematurely reward a kicker who's career 84% would put him in the bottom 10.  Just another example of telling Josh to "do it all".

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think this is a good sign for Bass to be motivated. If he has the yips than it'll be an issue. These guys go to professional sports psychologists, work on mental toughness, meditation... And more

They're not like "us" in a desk job needing motivation.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

brandon mcmanus available. would be worth a look if acquiring a kicker was a serious move. 

don’t think bass did bad though: 

24/30 FGs

49/50 XPs

touchbacks are the only place i can see a problem with that as it was 53/95 (55.8%)

think if you see bass kick 15-20 more FGs that he’d be around the 84-93% success range, which is the nfl average it seems. and looking at those kicks, most teams (18) are kicking double the amount of short range FGs (20-29yards) as we did last season, which was 4. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

I don't think this is a good sign for Bass to be motivated. If he has the yips than it'll be an issue. These guys go to professional sports psychologists, work on mental toughness, meditation... And more

They're not like "us" in a desk job needing motivation.

Agreed, especially a kicker.  It’s pretty easy to assess if they’re doing their job or not.  The kick is either good or not.  It’s not like two guys get tried out, all the sudden Bass-o-matic returns because he just now realizes his kicking has been shaky.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Cade York who was just let go from the Commanders for being god awful and missing kicks in the opener. Lol. 

I’m glad they are giving Bass a little wake up call here with these kicker workouts, but I’m highly doubtful they will find anyone worthwhile on the kicker scrap heap. Hopefully Bass becomes a little less comfortable and starts kicking better. If so, mission accomplished. 

York

Commanders' Cade York released after 2 missed field goals, marking fifth kicker to leave Washington this year - CBSSports.com.Sep 9, 2024

Carlson

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreischel/2024/08/27/the-green-bay-packers-have-cut-kicker-anders-carlson/#:~:text=“He's got to improve%2C”,of his last 12 contests.

How many kicks has Anders Carlson missed?

“He's got to improve,” Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst said earlier this offseason about Carlson. “That's important.” Carlson missed more extra points (six) and total kicks (13) than anyone in football in 2023. He also missed at least one kick in his final five games and 10 of his last 12 contests.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

It's like walking by your boss' office and overhear him interviewing someone for your current position.  Might just be the kick in the pants he needs.

or make him worse? I don't have a lot of faith in him anymore. key player, kicks become very important in a teams success and he has not come through. thing is the two they brought in would seem to be no threat to his position. maybe they are pushing the mental game on him. hopefully it doesn't backfire on them?

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Cade York who was just let go from the Commanders for being god awful and missing kicks in the opener. Lol. 

I’m glad they are giving Bass a little wake up call here with these kicker workouts, but I’m highly doubtful they will find anyone worthwhile on the kicker scrap heap. Hopefully Bass becomes a little less comfortable and starts kicking better. If so, mission accomplished. 

Kicking is all mental.  I don't think that extra pressure, the threat of losing his job, and "trying harder" is going to help Bass or any kicker.  Making him "a little less comfortable" is not likely to help a guy who is already suffering on the mental side of the game.  If anything, it's just more bad stuff to get in his head.  I understand why the Bills are doing it, however, as they need a fallback option if Bass simply can't get it together, or maybe Bass does have some kind of injury and they need to have someone available in the event Bass can't go.  Based on statistics, it doesn't sound like either of these guys are any good, and certainly not as good as Bass (even "bad" Bass). 

• Like (+1) 3