NFL Power Rankings: Week 2 (NBC San Fran you can see yourself out & no, you don't get a gift basket)

dollars 2 donuts

Given how the teams have played so far this season, the Saints have been the best team.  Their net points are 62.  No one else is close.

Minn is net 28, the Chargers net 35, TB net 21, and the Bills are net 27.  

Houston in net 8, Sea net 9, and KC net 8.  

I think Pit being 2-0 (net 15) is a mirage as is Seattle.  

The Bills, (IMHO), have played the hardest schedule of the 2-0 teams.  

If I were ranking based on team performance YTD

1. NO

2. Buffalo

3. Minn (they beat SF)

4. Houston

5. KC

6. LAC

7. TB

8. AZ

9. SF

10. Pitt

11. Det

12. Sea

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The Bills have beat the Chiefs 3 straight in Arrowhead during the regular season. We are playing at home this time. The narrative should be the Chiefs may have a chance to beat us, not the other way around.

The narrative will always be can the Bills get pass the KC in the playoffs. Until they do that’s the only narrative that matters. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Given how the teams have played so far this season, the Saints have been the best team.  Their net points are 62.  No one else is close.

1. NO

2. Buffalo

3. Minn (they beat SF)

4. Houston

5. KC

6. LAC

7. TB

8. AZ

9. Det

10. Pitt

Net, is a stat the McDermott era Bills always seem to do well in. I'm more surprised that we have the most PF (Points For) of any AFC team after the first two weeks at 65 (3rd overall behind NO/AZ). We were supposed to have a 'slow start' while Josh acquainted himself with the receiving corps!

Edited by Ballhawk

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

1. NO

2. Buffalo

3. Minn (they beat SF)

4. Houston

5. KC

6. LAC

7. TB

8. AZ

9. Det

10. Pitt

Saints have looked really good but IMO that is a mirage with Carr at QB...he will get figured out by week 7 or 8 and the offense will struggle a lot more.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's not the playoffs right now and in the regular season we have owned them.

You know that’s not how the media and general fans think. If Bills win it’ll be ’let’s see if they can do it when it matters’. If Bills lose it’s…nevermind. Don’t even want to think about that. 

Just now, 90sBills said:

You know that’s not how the media and general fans think. If Bills win it’ll be ’let’s see if they can do it when it matters’. If Bills lose it’s…nevermind. Don’t even want to think about that. 

Yeah I know...they are focused only on the narrative they want to focus on.  It's true, btw, it's just not relevant to the regular season.

Just now, Big Turk said:

Saints have looked really good but IMO that is a mirage with Carr at QB...he will get figured out by week 7 or 8 and the offense will struggle a lot more.  

Ehh, I think you forget, there was a long time when Carr was widely considered a top 10 QB.  He’s not bad when he’s comfortable.  This team has the weapons to make him look pretty darn good.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Idk, I think it takes them to 0-5 to drop out of the top 10

If this was college they would be like 15th right now.

Just now, DCofNC said:

Ehh, I think you forget, there was a long time when Carr was widely considered a top 10 QB.  He’s not bad when he’s comfortable.  This team has the weapons to make him look pretty darn good.

He is simply limited.  Those limitations don't suddenly go away.

41 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

How do you do that, though, 9?

How do you sit there, see this team at 0-2, see this other team at 2-0, both are playoff teams from the previous year, and say “yep, that team in the hole is better because blah, blah, blah.”?

I’m not disagreeing with you. It’s a whole lotta bs. 

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Meanwhile the Steelers will win a bunch of games by scores like 15-12.......

... and make the playoffs!   😁

If you don't believe that coaching matters in today's NFL, the Stillers under Mike Tomlin is Exhibit A.

Another good example might be New England.  They aren't a very talented team but they are a scrappy bunch under new HC Jerod Mayo.   They are going to give the Jests a good fight on Thursday night, and actually beating the New Jerseyites isn't unrealistic.  

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Losses are losses.  Should teams that miss the playoff be given playoff berths because they "are much better than their record shows"?

It’s a freaking power ranking. Do you not know how they work? Should they just list the teams by win loss record? Man, that would be riveting conversation. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

100%. They played the Panthers and the Dallas Frauds. 

carr will become the same check down bandit he has always been. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

1. NO

2. Buffalo

3. Minn (they beat SF)

4. Houston

5. KC

6. LAC

7. TB

8. AZ

9. SF

10. Pitt

11. Det

12. Sea

TB beating Detroit in Detroit is the best win of the year. 

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea the eagles ineptitude has been going on since they snuck by us last year…I might even drop them to the bottom half of the league right now 

hurts is starting to seem closer to a one year wonder than a great player 

And GBF, what are they 2-7 since we played them last year?

Additionally, I have a tough time phrasing this, but I think this is the closest to what I am thinking...Jalen Hurts is a very successful QB, but is not necessarily a winner, if that makes any sense.

6 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

(I’ll post here as I go and as I catch them releasing, but please feel free to add and comment throughout the thread.)

Yahoo:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-week-3-power-rankings-chiefs-are-2-0-but-there-are-some-concerns-041059676.html

surprised

New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5771561/2024/09/17/nfl-power-rankings-week-3-cowboys-saints-ravens/

surprised

New York Post:

https://nypost.com/2024/09/17/sports/nfl-power-rankings-for-week-3-plenty-of-movement/

Not surprised if anyone has the Texans ahead of us. I’m not cheering it but not surprised.

Sporting News:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-power-rankings-week-3-steelers-vikings-cowboys-bills/c04a3f2e14f4ce25bdf51431

NBC San Francisco:

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/week-3-power-rankings-loss-vikings/1781601/

Yeah, absolute @$$ hats.  Pretty much crown wearing.  Don’t want to go in, but are curious?  The Bills are behind the ravens and cowboys.

Sports Illustrated:

https://www.si.com/betting/nfl-power-rankings-based-on-super-bowl-odds-ahead-of-week-3-packers-are-alive-afc-north-questions-01j7xwjdkajx

SI with a bit of surprising Bills love, if memory serves on their previous rankings.

Pro Football Network:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-power-rankings-week-3-2024/

I have a lot of respect for the Niners, but not necessarily right now.  As situated with injuries and with the loss they are not number 2.

USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/nate-davis/2024/09/17/nfl-power-rankings-eagles-chiefs-bills/75258528007/

Jeepers creepers, the Bills are one of the trendy teams right now.  Honestly, I am surprised at some of these.

ESPN:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41289781/nfl-power-rankings-week-2-poll-2024-important-backup-role-player

NFL.com:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-week-3-2024-nfl-season

I am just not buying San Fran at #2, anywhere, right now.  Yes, they are still great, but something is going on right now and it isn't just CMC being out.

Somyoure going to make me look up all these links Donuts.  Stinker.  Just kidding bud and thanks.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dma0034 said:

I think the Ravens are a mentally weak team. Remember a few years ago when the Dolphins came back and beat them and so did the Bills. I think they get in their own heads (like the lack of playoff success) and start making mistakes. Idk, just a theory

Yes and Jackson like Hurts and every other run first QB that cant read the field is eventually figured out a little more each year.

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

Somyoure going to make me look up all these links Donuts.  Stinker.  Just kidding bud and thanks.

Guns, brother, I did debate (myself.  at work.  out loud) about just putting where they were ranked in each, but I just think there is more to it than that, including seeing the teams immediately above and below.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

1. NO

2. Buffalo

3. Minn (they beat SF)

4. Houston

5. KC

6. LAC

7. TB

8. AZ

9. SF

10. Pitt

11. Det

12. Sea

GAS, put me in the category of having no problem with taking a team that is just balling and putting them all te way to number 1.

Honestly, I am with you and I will die on that hill with you.

The Saints are number 1 right now.  Really, so just deal with it since technically these rankings don't matter anyways.

Not the BS of, "Well the Chiefs were champions, and they've earned it, and Mahomes, and they are 2-0 as well..."  No, this is 2024 and this is two weeks in...its New Orleans.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

... and make the playoffs!   😁

If you don't believe that coaching matters in today's NFL, the Stillers under Mike Tomlin is Exhibit A.

Another good example might be New England.  They aren't a very talented team but they are a scrappy bunch under new HC Jerod Mayo.   They are going to give the Jests a good fight on Thursday night, and actually beating the New Jerseyites isn't unrealistic.  

I hope the Pats* win enough early to get them out of the top 5 in the draft, beat the Jets and Dolphins at least once each…….then realize “we just aren’t that good” and tail off later in the season.  Scrappy only goes so far. 

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Wow. Baltimore does pretty well for losing two games. The media sure likes to prop them up.

That will change as the games pile up.  We have a real chance at 4-0 against the Jags and Ravens.  We’ll see about those rankings soon.  Besides who cares about power rankings.  These are popularity contests like the pro bowl votes.  1st team all pro, 2nd team, mvp, rookie of the year, and so on matter.

None truly matter more than wins.

11 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Guns, brother, I did debate (myself.  at work.  out loud) about just putting where they were ranked in each, but I just think there is more to it than that, including seeing the teams immediately above and below.

GAS, put me in the category of having no problem with taking a team that is just balling and putting them all te way to number 1.

Honestly, I am with you and I will die on that hill with you.

The Saints are number 1 right now.  Really, so just deal with it since technically these rankings don't matter anyways.

Not the BS of, "Well the Chiefs were champions, and they've earned it, and Mahomes, and they are 2-0 as well..."  No, this is 2024 and this is two weeks in...its New Orleans.

Im just kidding brother.  I thought you might get a chuckle.  Good talking last week.

• Haha (+1) 1