60th Anniversary for the AFL Champion Buffalo Bills coming up in December

EasternOHBillsFan

We have two major anniversaries coming up for the Buffalo Bills, this year being the 60th anniversary of the Buffalo Bills's first championship, won on the 26th of December, 1964 at War Memorial Stadium, or rather what we call it, The Rockpile, by the final score of 20-7.

I think it would be not only be quite an accomplishment to win a Super Bowl championship but to also do it while some of the members of that team are still with us. For those who know about our storied history in the American Football League and some who actually went to games at The Rockpile, to see those players celebrate with all of us would be a very emotional event.  

These are the men who gave us our first championship that are still with us:

Wray Carlton

Willie Ross

Bobby Smith

Glenn Bass

Ed Rutkowski

Stew Barber

George Flint

Billy Shaw

Ron McDole

Butch Byrd

Hagood Clarke

Oliver Dobbins

Booker Edgerson

Eugene Sykes

Pete Gogolak

Paul Maguire

GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

We have two major anniversaries coming up for the Buffalo Bills, this year being the 60th anniversary of the Buffalo Bills's first championship, won on the 26th of December, 1964 at War Memorial Stadium, or rather what we call it, The Rockpile, by the final score of 20-7.

I think it would be not only be quite an accomplishment to win a Super Bowl championship but to also do it while some of the members of that team are still with us. For those who know about our storied history in the American Football League and some who actually went to games at The Rockpile, to see those players celebrate with all of us would be a very emotional event.  

These are the men who gave us our first championship that are still with us:

1. Wray Carlton
  2. Willie Ross
  3. Bobby Smith
  4. Glenn Bass
  5. Ed Rutkowski
  6. Stew Barber
  7. George Flint
  8. Billy Shaw
  9. Ron McDole
  10. Butch Byrd
  11. Hagood Clarke
  12. Oliver Dobbins
  13. Booker Edgerson
  14. Eugene Sykes
  15. Pete Gogolak
  16. Paul Maguire

GO BILLS!

Having 16 Bills players (37%) surviving to 60th anniversary game is amazing.  

The winning Bills split their players' shares for the title game 43 ways for $2,668 each.

$2,668 in 1964 is worth $27,092.77 today

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thank you Ralph for coming to buffalo and uniting generations of people

I was so fortunate to meet him twice... once at the Winter Meetings in Charlotte, NC and the second time after the Bills/Jets night game in 1999. He was walking down the concourse as I came out of the stands. I WAS SO EXCITED!!!! It was a great chance meeting and seeing the glee on his face was priceless!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Could this be a premonition type of thing ? 🤔 Every one is counting the Bills out because of all the "Loses" of star power yet the Bills are at 2-0 . We all know the Bills have always seemed to be stronger when in this position of the underdog and looked at as a none factor .

Which i love it rather than every one choosing them to be the SB champions at the beginning of the year . 

I always route for our team but maybe this is something to say this is our year & it would be awesome on the anniversary of that championship !!

GO BILLS !!!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I was so fortunate to meet him twice... once at the Winter Meetings in Charlotte, NC and the second time after the Bills/Jets night game in 1999. He was walking down the concourse as I came out of the stands. I WAS SO EXCITED!!!! It was a great chance meeting and seeing the glee on his face was priceless!

In 1977 at the Rich, going into the stadium I slipped on some ice and someone helped me up; it was Ralph, suit and overcoat. As I made my way to my seat I could hear him telling ushers to get rid of the ice patch, he was not happy!

• Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, amprov56 said:

In 1977 at the Rich, going into the stadium I slipped on some ice and someone helped me up; it was Ralph, suit and overcoat. As I made my way to my seat I could hear him telling ushers to get rid of the ice patch, he was not happy!

I love that story!!! Back in the day I guess they didn't use rock salt or litter for icy patches?

58 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I love that story!!! Back in the day I guess they didn't use rock salt or litter for icy patches?

Not sure why the ice patch was there but I found and Ralph helped me up. At the main entrance where the office building is, took a couple seconds to realize it was Ralph, he just arrived in a convoy of limo’s.

• Awesome! (+1) 1