Non Bill, unheralded, under the radar favorite player.

Savage

For me, Baker Mayfield.  Loved Superfly coming out of college, but he had the bad luck to go to Cleveland, then Carolina, and everyone here wrote him off.  He played that final year in Cleveland injured, and they repaid his loyalty be replacing him with a serial molester.  I'm loving his success with Tampa Bay.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

Is Brian Westbrook unheralded? Maybe not when he was active, but he seems to have been quickly forgotten. His contribution to the McNabb-era Iggles was immeasurable. He was 2/3 their offense, and more on some days. 

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 1

I've never seen anything quite like Levon Kirkland.

Watching him blow up a Guard and absolutely bury a RB, then 30 seconds later be running stride for stride with Shannon Sharpe 40 yards downfield at 275+ lbs while tracking a ball was unreal.

There's a highlight in here at about 1:37 of him picking off Jim Kelly down the seam.

That is a guy about the same size as Ed Oliver making that play. :blink:

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I've never seen anything quite like Levon Kirkland.

Watching him absolutely bury a Guard and then 30 seconds later be running stride for stride with Shannon Sharpe 40 yards downfield while tracking a ball was unreal.

I loved Captain Kirk as well.

a 280 MLB.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

For me, Baker Mayfield.  Loved Superfly coming out of college, but he had the bad luck to go to Cleveland, then Carolina, and everyone here wrote him off.  He played that final year in Cleveland injured, and they repaid his loyalty be replacing him with a serial molester.  I'm loving his success with Tampa Bay.

I’m a fan of Mayfield as well.

wasn’t in the best of situations early on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Savage said:

I loved Captain Kirk as well.

a 280 MLB.

Here's the definition of unheralded:

Fans only voted him to two Pro Bowls in his entire career.

NFL HOF voters put him on the 90's all decade team with the likes of Derrick Thomas, Junior Seau and Biscuit.

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

Here's the definition of unheralded:

Fans only voted him to two Pro Bowls in his entire career.

NFL HOF voters put him on the 90's all decade team with the likes of Derrick Thomas, Junior Seau and Biscuit.

I always thought Kirkland was overshadowed by Greg Lloyd

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Napolean Kaufman - RB - Raiders who retired in his prime.  He wasn't the biggest guy, but he was literally the strongerst player on his team out benching and out squating the biggest of guys as a smaller framed RB yet still lightning fast.  I will never forget when he laid out 2 dallas all pro defensive lineman in Dallas one year, where on one of them he picked the guy up over his head and flipped him behind him.  It was nuts...then he was also blazing fast.  

Woefully underused in Oakland, forced to split carries with Harvey Williams.  I loved watching him play for the Huskies in college, so followed him in the NFL despite he got stuck on the Raiders.

He was my favorite non-Bills player to watch. Loved his game and agree, not used nearly enough. 

Dude always cracked me up with his braces

• Awesome! (+1) 1

TE Mark Bavaro of the Giants in the mid 80’s.

I hated the Giants, but I always appreciated how good and tough Bavaro was.

He was easily the best all round TE in the game for a short period, but injuries did him in.

If Bavaro didn’t catch the injury bug, he would have been a sure HOFer.

Edited by njbuff
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I always thought Kevin Mawae was just such a steady and superb center. I think he played for like 17 years and basically all of it at an all-pro level.

I really feel like the league blackballed him for his leading role in nflpa union activities. He was coming off a great season and no one wanted him. The same happened to the excellent Browns center JC Trotter, who is actually from Buffalo and graduated from Cornell’s Industrial and Labor Relations school (where my son went). He was still really good and no team wanted him—and he was head of the union. Everyone talks about kaepernick, but the (presumably) blackballed nflpa union leaders comprise a story that needs to be written. People forget that most nfl owners are INCREDIBLY anti-labor (and always have been).

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1