Christian Benford appreciation thread

No_Matter_What

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I do too. The issue is that Draft Class has so many Post Round 1 hits, are we going to be able to extend them all?

Benford may or may not be Priority 1. All these players were Drafted in the same class and all their contracts come due at the same time. And they're all going to be pricey.

James Cook

Terrel Bernard

Khalil Shakir

Christian Benford

I think you let James Cook walk and sign the other 3. I don’t think Shakir will have the volume stats to justify a huge deal.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I do too. The issue is that Draft Class has so many Post Round 1 hits, are we going to be able to extend them all?

Benford may or may not be Priority 1. All these players were Drafted in the same class and all their contracts come due at the same time. And they're all going to be pricey.

James Cook

Terrel Bernard

Khalil Shakir

Christian Benford

That's a nice class. 

I thought Benford would be a developing safety when they drafted him.  I thought that they would develop him behind MH as our next center fielder.  Since, he and Poyer, were both college corners I thought that's what they were going for. 

Instead he has truly looked like a stud and the true 1st round corner that the coaches wanted Elam to be. 

• Agree 1

Benford 6'1" 205

Douglas 6'2" 209 

Big fast corners, I'll take two everyday.

Elam needs to play with an attitude and snuff the run. He doesn't fit the Bills mantra of physicality. 

Can't wait to match them up with Bernard/Milano. 

Add Bishop to the mix. 

Defense wins Championships!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Udubalum07 said:

I thought Benford would be a developing safety when they drafted him.  I thought that they would develop him behind MH as our next center fielder.  Since, he and Poyer, were both college corners I thought that's what they were going for. 

Instead he has truly looked like a stud and the true 1st round corner that the coaches wanted Elam to be. 

Elam must be thinking "What a, I doing wrong? Can I not play in this scheme?"  for the coaches can clearly coach.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I guess if Benford is a Pro Bowler and Elam busts we just give Beane a mulligan on that one?

6 hours ago, Augie said:

The 49’ers are winning with Purdy. It doesn’t matter when you find them as much as that you find them. We have a bit of the same deal. 

Exactly. Fans in the Bay Area forgive the drafting of Trey Lance because of the selection of Brock Purdy.

If Benford becomes an All-Pro (and he appears to be on that trajectory) I will certainly forgive the selection of Elam.

And Elam's ultimate value to the Bills has still not been determined.

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

James Cook

Terrel Bernard

Khalil Shakir

Christian Benford

One of the best Bills drafts ever and it also included Matt Araiza and Baylon Spector.

Incidentally I'm loving the 2024 draft too... Beane's drafting has improved IMO. He used to always want to trade up and he's being more patient now because I think he's seen all the players he could have drafted had he simply stood pat.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I think you let James Cook walk and sign the other 3. I don’t think Shakir will have the volume stats to justify a huge deal.

Idk about that. The WR market is insane and there's not a trait that drives price more than youth coming off a Rookie contract.

If Gabe Davis and Darnell Mooney got 13m a year, I don't think Khalil Shakir with the skills he's been showing on National stages, coming off of his first deal - is going to be a small contract market.

He's a Slot, so that could help. But it's not going to be a bargain, especially if he wants to test his market.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Idk about that. The WR market is insane and there's not a trait that drives price more than youth coming off a Rookie contract.

If Gabe Davis and Darnell Mooney got 13m a year, I don't think Khalil Shakir with the skills he's been showing on National stages, coming off of his first deal, is going to be a small contract market.

He hasn’t shown that much. If he produces 600-800 yards and 5-8 TDs the next couple of years that is in line with Davis and Mooney, and I guess I wouldn’t be opposed to that sort of deal. Davis and Mooney both have team-friendly outs in their contracts after 2 years, so they aren’t huge commitments. I might try to lock up Shakir for longer with maybe a smaller cap hit if possible.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I searched but didn't find a thread dedicated to this guy, and he surely deserves it. He was all over the field vs Dolphins and this time PFF confirms it :)

He is playing on an elite lever right now.

I'd love Elam to be successful and on the field but Benford makes up for it.

Not sure how to post photos hopefully you'll be able to see it.

Benford.webp

I predict he is top 5 in this metric by the end of the year.  He's that good

21 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

James Cook

Terrel Bernard

Khalil Shakir

Christian Benford

I think Benford is a top of the list guy to keep.  But you're right, that's a deep class.  

Thoughts:

likely can't keep Cook if Davis shows well.  Good job having a backup plan with Davis.  

Bernard is a shoe-in to sign, unless he keeps getting hurt. 

Shakir is a likely re-sign, unless some team goes bonkers to overpay him.  Need to keep drafting WRs early.   

14 hours ago, 27yankees said:

Benford 6'1" 205

Douglas 6'2" 209 

Big fast corners, I'll take two everyday.

Elam needs to play with an attitude and snuff the run. He doesn't fit the Bills mantra of physicality. 

Can't wait to match them up with Bernard/Milano. 

Add Bishop to the mix. 

Defense wins Championships!!!!

among other reasons why drafting him was puzzling.  At least Benford makes up for it.  Didn't realize Douglas was that big.  

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I think Benford is a top of the list guy to keep.  But you're right, that's a deep class.  

Thoughts:

likely can't keep Cook if Davis shows well.  Good job having a backup plan with Davis.  

Bernard is a shoe-in to sign, unless he keeps getting hurt. 

Shakir is a likely re-sign, unless some team goes bonkers to overpay him.  Need to keep drafting WRs early.   

among other reasons why drafting him was puzzling.  At least Benford makes up for it.  Didn't realize Douglas was that big.  

Douglas has a very noticeable attitude about him on the field. Very very physical 

On 9/16/2024 at 10:37 PM, Punching Bag said:

Elam must be thinking "What a, I doing wrong? Can I not play in this scheme?"  for the coaches can clearly coach.

I think it calls into question the coaching at UF.  Line up there play man.  Benford had zone experience in college.  I think it is more a guy never given anything and over looked in Benford.  In a true even competition he wont it clean.  More a plus on Benford than negative on Elam.  I think Elam starts on 15 or so defenses.  His athletic ability and ball skills are still high.  Benford is a more consistent player in all areas.