The changing game? Passing yards at 193/game so far....

D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

8 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

The game against the Jags will be interesting.  Their defensive coordinator is fond of man coverage.   That usually means loading the box to try and stop the run and bring pressure (blitzing) on passing plays.  It will be interesting to see how that affects the Bills' strategy on offense.

It is my hope that the offense goes with what works throughout the game, that could be the run game, or the pass game, but I suspect it will be a mix of both, as it frankly should be, one dimensional offenses are easier to counter, 

• Like (+1) 1

Stats don't always tell the story and, in this debate about the run-pass ratio, current NFL trends, etc. their wins have become closer games.  

Under Daboll Buffalo won 20 of their 24 regular season games by 8 or more points.

With Brady, 9 of their 18 games during his tenure were by the same margin.

Buffalo's 8 wins under Brady (and the sample size is small) 3 were by 8 or more points.  

No one stat proves right or wrong.  Strength of schedule factors into this, but I'm interested to see whether the trend continues of closer margin wins.     

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/16/2024 at 11:53 PM, Sierra Foothills said:

I know you're being sarcastic but I've literally read dozens of posters here state that any offense that isn't built on Josh's arm is a misguided waste of his talents.

Personally I believe in an offense that doesn't overburden him... one that uses his superpowers only in good measure.

IMO, over-reliance on Josh is not a good thing.

Just win, run, pass, defense, or special teams just win! Too many want the pin ball wizard point machine - long bomb TD every play, appreciate the complete game!

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It is my hope that the offense goes with what works throughout the game, that could be the run game, or the pass game, but I suspect it will be a mix of both, as it frankly should be, one dimensional offenses are easier to counter, 

Makes sense to me

Copy cat league.  The legion of boom spawned numerous cover 3 teams.  Shannahan killed it.  Those coaching tree coaches kill it.  Vic Fangio, Mcdermott had success with 2 safties and force the offenses to play the long game.  Now many teams are pivoting to that.  Kc and Buf already pivoted to beating that style.  They also have aliens at qb.  Your average qb will struggle going 3 wide vs tighter window throws.  I think you will see the difference on Oc’s and Qbs as the year goes on.  

• Like (+1) 1

no freebies, which is the Dolphins entire offense basically...

Tua could have 23 yards passing then BOOM! 80 yard TD to Hill and he's over 100 yards and the Dolphins have 7 just like that. 

But make them drive and run plays over and over and over and you're going to get a false start, a holding call, a bad throw, a missed block, a fumble. All good for the D

Plus, the closer the game is the less talent differential matters. All it takes is one fumbled punt, ball knocked loose from the QB, a terrible call by the refs, a lucky long pass that connects... 

Keep it close, give yourself the chance to benefit from some sort of mistake

Edited by TheFunPolice