Bryce Young already benched in Carolina

mushypeaches

1 minute ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Murray, and Flutie are smaller and made/make it work. Young just lacks the speed, elusiveness and football IQ to make it work. Cardinals have been to the playoffs with Murray and Flutie got us to the playoffs twice. 

True, but even just looking at Kyler Murray, who has similar measurables, there is a major difference in their builds. 

Young looks like someone's kid playing all time QB at a family BBQ or something. 

Jalen Hurts deadlifts pickup trucks for fun. 

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think that goes too far.  We can objectively say that Stroud is really good and that, unless he somehow turns it around, Young sucks.

I think the NFL is all about numerous sliding door moments. You rightly say, "unless Young turns it around...", it may happen depending what happens to him next. But he's hardly had a great scenario to start with. Maybe Stroud would have looked slightly better if roles had been reversed, but I doubt he would have looked as good as he does with the Texans. And Young may have looked more comfortable with them.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

As others have said, it was Tepper. The HC and GM wanted Stroud from the rumors I heard at the time. Tepper saddling them with his poor choice for a QB didn’t stop him from blaming and firing them for it. 

He was the consensus #1 QB in that draft by most college scouts and draft pundits.  His comparison was Drew Brees.  A lot of revisionist history going on with Bryce Young.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Tua maybe dinged up and struggle versus the bills..  but he does well against most of the other NFL 

He led the league in passing yards last year.  Had 29 touchdown... Has led a team to the playoffs.....

Jalen hurts was it Alabama for 3 years and Oklahoma for only one... He is a crimson Tide 

He is also a pro bowl quarterback.. every quarterback has some issues... But he is strong in the pocket and athletic and built for the modern NFL 

They have two quarterbacks in the last 6 years drafted that have gone to a pro bowl...

Are they your typical quarterback? No

But they have absolutely had success when they played, son

There's plenty of schools who haven't had one quarterback go to a pro bowl  or one quarterback drafted

Professional scouts really like tua coming out besides the size issues... You act like the NFL forced teams to draft Alabama quarterbacks 

Only 7 to 10 quarterbacks get drafted a year... It's not Alabama's fault they consistently get the top guys out of high school so they're always in position to get drafted

What i'm saying is that the NFL absolutely loves Bama QB's for whatever reason and i suspect it's because they flourished under Sabans' system.....the NFL tends to shrug off the flaws of Bama QB's thinking they can correct them.

......and for the life of me, i don't understand why there is so much love from the NFL for subpar QB's unless they are enamored by the school (Bama) and not the player.

I'm not an NFL scout, however i watch a lot of college ball and i never would have went anywhere near Tua, Young or Aj McCarron.....and i'm just a regular guy, so what do i know? Well, i know enough that Tua is down for the count, AJ McCarron was a bust and Young can't play in the NFL, so.......maybe i know a thing or two.

5 minutes ago, Sweats said:

What i'm saying is that the NFL absolutely loves Bama QB's for whatever reason and i suspect it's because they flourished under Sabans' system.....the NFL tends to shrug off the flaws of Bama QB's thinking they can correct them.

......and for the life of me, i don't understand why there is so much love from the NFL for subpar QB's unless they are enamored by the school (Bama) and not the player.

I'm not an NFL scout, however i watch a lot of college ball and i never would have went anywhere near Tua, Young or Aj McCarron.....and i'm just a regular guy, so what do i know? Well, i know enough that Tua is down for the count, AJ McCarron was a bust and Young can't play in the NFL, so.......maybe i know a thing or two.

AJ McCarron was a 5th-round pick bro 

You act like he was a first rounder...

He was drafted to be a backup

There are elite quarterback camps around the country from the time these kids are 15 years old... Scouts through multiple levels see these kids grow up 

Guys like Bryce young were liked well before college because when they got around their peers at passing camps they threw better balls.. go to an elite 11 camp and Bryce young was insane...

That's why he had 35 college scholarships.. and then he had a great college career... that doesn't mean you're going to be a great pro but every major college did want him because of his talent which could translate to college 

Again it's very few that can translate college success to professional success at the quarterback spot.. it takes coaching and scheme fit as much as it does talent

And FYI I did not like Bryce young coming out and you can search every draft thread here to confirm that I did not like him at all 

But it has nothing to do with him going to Alabama.. it has to do with how I thought he would translate to the league because he's just not strong enough for a grown mans league 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Don't kid yourselves, not a lot of people were too high on Stroud either.

Im going to be that guy and say he was my #1. In no way did I think he was going to be as successful as he was this quickly but I definitely had him over Young

Small QB’s with questionable arm strength protected behind the best line in the country to me comes with serious risk. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

AJ McCarron was a 5th-round pick bro 

You act like he was a first rounder...

He was drafted to be a backup

There are elite quarterback camps around the country from the time these kids are 15 years old... Scouts through multiple levels see these kids grow up 

Guys like Bryce young are liked because when they got around their peers at passing camps they threw better balls.. go to an elite 11 camp and Bryce young was insane 

That's why he had 35 college scholarships.. that doesn't mean you're going to be a great pro but every major college did want him because of his talent which could translate to college 

Again it's very few that can translate college success to professional success at the quarterback spot.. it takes coaching and scheme fit as much as it does talent

And FYI I did not like Bryce young coming out and you can search every draft thread here to confirm that I did not like him at all 

But it has nothing to do with him going to Alabama.. it has to do with how I thought he would translate to the league because he's just not strong enough

Alright, so we can at least agree on one thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 947 said:

Bryce Young is the reason Frank Reich was fired by the Panthers 11 games into his tenure there. He adamantly did not want to draft Young & pushed for Stroud, they drafted him anyway & stuck Reich with a huge mess. I have to imagine the relationship was strained beyond repair before Bryce even showed up to the facility.

In all honestly, I thought both Young & Stroud would be busts.

It is true Reich had Young forced on him.
    But, Tepper also forced a “ Dream team” of assistants on him and they didn’t all agree with Teich’s scheme or his development of Young.

Reich ( and Canales) was meeting with Tepper weekly. Other coaches were also in Tep’s ear, backstabbing Reich. Tepper was even suggesting Xs and Os towards the end ( at the behest of the other coaches, in his ear)

The Panther’s owner is a weenie. Thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room but doesn’t know a thing about Football.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I wonder who made the call in the 2023 draft to take Young over Stroud?  The former GM, or the owner?

What a disaster compounded by the fact that they traded up to take him. 

the owner over road his GM and coach and as long as he is owner they will be junk.     

• Agree 1

This reminds me a lot of EJ Manuel's 2nd season here.  Benched for a veteran by a coach who has seen enough of him to realize he's a bust & replacing him before the coach loses the locker room.  Also similar to when Kelly Holcomb replaced JP Losman.  It doesn't take a coach very long to have a QB who sucks in games & practice enough so that the coach goes into self preservation mode & benches the young guy because the veteran "gives us the best chance of winning Sunday" 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Way over drafted.

No reason for them to take a chance on pick #1 on an undersized QB from of all schools, Alabama.  Biggest break the Texans ever got was the selection of Bryce Young over CJ Stroud.  You cant coach size.

Carolina in the driver seat to do it all over again in next years draft.  The team is in shambles.

It's not a matter of size or any other physical attribute.   CJ Stroud is good because he's got the intangibles that separate good/great QBs from the rest.  Bryce Young simply doesn't "get it" -- he seems to lack the ability to understand what he sees in front of him and translate that understanding into correct action fast enough to be successful in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He was the consensus #1 QB in that draft by most college scouts and draft pundits.  His comparison was Drew Brees.  A lot of revisionist history going on with Bryce Young.

Which goes to show, once again, that they don’t know more than many on this here page.

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

If you wanna see how people who care deeply about this feel, this thread is an interesting read:

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/topic/262138-bryce-young-benched/#comments

It was nothing but relief on the afternoon drive…….and Tepper hate.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

You can say that about any school, but Alabama is actually one of the best historically (Bart Starr, Ken Stabler, Joe Namath, and I guess Jalen Hurts, although he did transfer away).  I'd go as far as to argue that the only other schools that have produced three very good NFL QBs are Stanford (Elway, Luck, Plunkett), Purdue (Griese, Len Dawson, Brees), and Cal (Rogers, Brodie, Goff). Beyond that, no one has produced more than two as far as I can tell. Michigan was famous for never putting out good QBs until they did (the GOAT), and now one can say the same for Ohio State, who appear to have finally produced an elite qb. Most elite schools top out with two. Miami put out Kelly and Kosar, and I guess you could say Vinny T but I wouldn't include him.  LSU had Bert Jones and Joe Burrow but no one beyond that. Tennessee has Payton Manning, Ole Miss Payton and Eli, Texas just Bobby Layne. USC just Carson Palmer (although the jury is out on Darnold given that he's young). UCLA has just Troy Aikman. And on and on.

Anyway, judging a qb's future path by where he went to school doesn't really work. 

The only reasonable conclusion from this data:

Good NFL QB’s are hard to find

Productive college QB’s in good systems have little correlation to NFL success.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1