Bryce Young already benched in Carolina

mushypeaches

stroud was a more efficient passer in college and seemed to be better at touch passes and leading his guys

both had elite talent on their teams. 

championship and heisman are the only things that go to young. 

why you don’t go with the better passer who’s of the build you want in a qb; 6’4”+ is wild to me. 

did however not expect bryce to be as poor as he has. seems borderline clueless out there at times. 

Edited by Sojourner
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Just one more example of another Bama QB that can't transition to the NFL.

You can say that about any school, but Alabama is actually one of the best historically (Bart Starr, Ken Stabler, Joe Namath, and I guess Jalen Hurts, although he did transfer away).  I'd go as far as to argue that the only other schools that have produced three very good NFL QBs are Stanford (Elway, Luck, Plunkett), Purdue (Griese, Len Dawson, Brees), and Cal (Rogers, Brodie, Goff). Beyond that, no one has produced more than two as far as I can tell. Michigan was famous for never putting out good QBs until they did (the GOAT), and now one can say the same for Ohio State, who appear to have finally produced an elite qb. Most elite schools top out with two. Miami put out Kelly and Kosar, and I guess you could say Vinny T but I wouldn't include him.  LSU had Bert Jones and Joe Burrow but no one beyond that. Tennessee has Payton Manning, Ole Miss Payton and Eli, Texas just Bobby Layne. USC just Carson Palmer (although the jury is out on Darnold given that he's young). UCLA has just Troy Aikman. And on and on.

Anyway, judging a qb's future path by where he went to school doesn't really work. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

There are two levels of Busts for top 10 picks in the first round..

The first level is picks who are NFL caliber players, but were disappointing in production compared to where they were picked. Examples of this would be David Carr, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold or for a non QB, Marcell Dareus. Had they been 3rd or 4th round picks, they would be seen differently, but more was expected based on being a top pick.

The second level those that are so bad that they do not belong in the NFL as a starter or a backup. This would be more for the likes of JaMarcus Russell, Josh Rosen, Zach Wilson or for a non QB Aaron Maybin (not quite a top ten, but still a great example).

From what I have seen so far in Bryce Young, he appears to be in the latter category.

Zach Wilson belongs in the league, at least as a backup. And I think he could be a Geno Smith type and play pretty solid ball in a few years if he is ever given the chance again. He had all the physical tools.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not surprised.  He has not looked at all like an NFL QB since he stepped on the field.  I do question if it's the organization or him though.  Baker Mayfield got benched there too and immediately looked legit when he came in to the Rams in season and then signed with TB and has now established himself as a legit starter.  Sam Darnold was trash there, but in Minny looks like he has more to offer still.

While he has looked terrible, that organization has specialized in making QB's look terrible for a while...much like the Bears have.  So, I won't condemn his career just yet until I see if another organization can turn his career around.

I find it hilarious that Baker is doing so well while teams like Cle and Car are floundering with terrible QB play after giving up so much to get a different QB instead of realizing it was them as organizations that sucked.

There was literally nothing wrong with baker in Cleveland. I really don't understand. The guy wins everywhere he's a good quarterback 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

19 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

There are two levels of Busts for top 10 picks in the first round..

The first level is picks who are NFL caliber players, but were disappointing in production compared to where they were picked. Examples of this would be David Carr, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold or for a non QB, Marcell Dareus. Had they been 3rd or 4th round picks, they would be seen differently, but more was expected based on being a top pick.

The second level those that are so bad that they do not belong in the NFL as a starter or a backup. This would be more for the likes of JaMarcus Russell, Josh Rosen, Zach Wilson or for a non QB Aaron Maybin (not quite a top ten, but still a great example).

From what I have seen so far in Bryce Young, he appears to be in the latter category.

Great post but I think you have to re-evaluate Baker Mayfield, man is playing near an MVP level now.

27 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I wonder who made the call in the 2023 draft to take Young over Stroud?  The former GM, or the owner?

What a disaster compounded by the fact that they traded up to take him. 

As others have said, it was Tepper. The HC and GM wanted Stroud from the rumors I heard at the time. Tepper saddling them with his poor choice for a QB didn’t stop him from blaming and firing them for it. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

stroud was a more efficient passer in college and seemed to be better at touch passes and leading his guys

both had elite talent on their teams. 

championship and heisman are the only things that go to young. 

why you don’t go with the better passer who’s of the build you want in a qb; 6’4”+ is wild to me. 

did however not expect bryce to be as poor as he has. seems borderline clueless out there at times. 

Stroud had his doubters because of the Ohio State system. 

but yeah if you take the undersized guy, you better be right about how good they can be. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Lafromboise said:

There was literally nothing wrong with baker in Cleveland. I really don't understand. The guy wins everywhere he's a good quarterback 

Baker admitted himself he had a bit of an attitude problem in Cleveland, which probably resulted in them deciding to trade him away. Hitting rock bottom helped him in the long run.

As we have seen with Geno Smith, Mayfield, Goff, Tannehill, and now Carr and Darnold, sometimes all the QB needs is the right coach and a good O-line.

Young is in a terrible situation.  Bad coaching, bad line and lousy weapons.  I’m no Young fan.  He’s no bigger than Stetson Bennett.  I doubt he’ll ever be great in the NFL, but he needs to be in a better situation to have any chance of succeeding.  

I like the idea of Dalton playing out the season.  Let Young learn from bench this season and then use next off-season to get him what he needs to succeed.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You can say that about any school, but Alabama is actually one of the best historically (Bart Starr, Ken Stabler, Joe Namath, and I guess Jalen Hurts, although he did transfer away).  I'd go as far as to argue that the only other schools that have produced three very good NFL QBs are Stanford (Elway, Luck, Plunkett), Purdue (Griese, Len Dawson, Brees), and Cal (Rogers, Brodie, Goff). Beyond that, no one has produced more than two as far as I can tell. Michigan was famous for never putting out good QBs until they did (the GOAT), and now one can say the same for Ohio State, who appear to have finally produced an elite qb. Most elite schools top out with two. Miami put out Kelly and Kosar, and I guess you could say Vinny T but I wouldn't include him.  LSU had Bert Jones and Joe Burrow but no one beyond that. Tennessee has Payton Manning, Ole Miss Payton and Eli, Texas just Bobby Layne. USC just Carson Palmer (although the jury is out on Darnold given that he's young). UCLA has just Troy Aikman. And on and on.

Anyway, judging a qb's future path by where he went to school doesn't really work. 

Here's the list of the past 10 Bama QB's (i could have gone all the way back to 20)......you see any NFL standouts in there?

image.thumb.png.c2afaa7a9cce7a52403b76be9b9eea63.png

12 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Here's the list of the past 10 Bama QB's (i could have gone all the way back to 20)......you see any NFL standouts in there?

image.thumb.png.c2afaa7a9cce7a52403b76be9b9eea63.png

Well, Hurts finished in MVP voting for the 2022 season, and Tua, whatever we might think of him, is statistically an above average thrower (he actually led the league in QB+ rating in 2022). He's 33-20 as a starter. So I'd say two are at least decent to good. But I challenge you to find other schools that have put out two good QBs in that same timeframe. The only reason people focus on Bama is because their guys at least MAKE the NFL. The guys from Texas A & M, Florida, Washington, etc. largely aren't.  One or two might, but not five like Bama.

• Agree 1

Bryce Young is the reason Frank Reich was fired by the Panthers 11 games into his tenure there. He adamantly did not want to draft Young & pushed for Stroud, they drafted him anyway & stuck Reich with a huge mess. I have to imagine the relationship was strained beyond repair before Bryce even showed up to the facility.

In all honestly, I thought both Young & Stroud would be busts.

59 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Just one more example of another Bama QB that can't transition to the NFL.

It's not a school's job to get a player ready for the NFL honestly 

Nick saban's job is to win college football games .. get Bryce young ready for Mississippi, not the NFL

All they can do is get a player in position to get drafted...  

And A school that consistently puts out prospects that professional scouts think are talented enough to play in the league is not easy 

I mean a poster up the thread, is talking about how the Texans lucked into Stroud ... But how many Ohio State quarterbacks have busted in the last 20 years? 

Does that mean nobody should take Ohio State quarterbacks? Or should Ohio State get credit for consistently putting out talented quarterbacks? And eventually one has to hit?

Yes , tua is dinged up and plays down to the bills but you're still talking about a quarterback who led the NFL in passing yards with 29 tds... That's far from terrible.. Alabama product 

Jalen hurts was a pro bowler last year... He has flaws like every quarterback but he's still very hard to contain due to his athleticism.. another Alabama quarterback 

For all the Alabama busts they still do have two guys from their school who did reach a pro bowl 

Again all a college can do is get their kids in position to go to the NFL... Only about 7 to 10 quarterbacks get drafted every year.. the best 7 to 10 amateurs in the world 

Schools like USC get a kid almost drafted every single year even though they haven't had a lot of success in the NFL recently either.. but that's not their fault again.. what is impressive is that they could consistently get 17 18 year old high school quarterbacks to develop into guys the NFL is willing to draft 

That's hard to do consistently

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, dpberr said:

He's a good athlete, but a marginal football player.  Physical skills paired with a low football IQ.   

It's not hyperbole - he looks like he has no idea what he's doing out there.    

I saw a clip from yesterday where he threw a pick and then looked like he was gonna cry. Dude has no confidence right now. The only move is to bench him 

• Agree 1