Bryce Young already benched in Carolina

mushypeaches

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I still think the decision not to play Young and his receivers properly in pre-season was a mistake. It might have made no difference at all, but not doing it as a new coach with a 2nd year QB who struggled as a rookie was a mistake IMO. It certainly can't have helped. 

That was Mel Kiper's rant on ESPN yesterday.  That playing Bryce for one series in preseason against Buffalo's 3rd stringers was a complete joke.

It's bad enough when the #1 overall QB pick is busting, but it makes it so much worse when the guy who was right there for you (Stroud) is now being talked about as one of the AFC's best just behind Mahomes, Allen and Lamar.   And Stroud is still ascending.

That would just make me sick as a Panthers fan.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, zow2 said:

That was Mel Kiper's rant on ESPN yesterday.  That playing Bryce for one series in preseason against Buffalo's 3rd stringers was a complete joke.

It's bad enough when the #1 overall QB pick is busting, but it makes it so much worse when the guy who was right there for you (Stroud) is now being talked about as one of the AFC's best just behind Mahomes, Allen and Lamar.   And Stroud is still ascending.

That would just make me sick as a Panthers fan.

I think we Bills fans can relate to the Panthers fans.  In 2004 Bills GM Tom Donahoe wanted to draft Ben Roethlisberger but couldn't find a way to trade up (I still blame him for not offering enough to entice a team ahead of Pittsburgh to trade with him).  So, after Pittsburgh drafts Roethlisberger 2 picks before the Bills, Donahoe trades up later in the 1st round to draft J P Losman giving his 2005 pick to Dallas.  In 2005 the Bills pick sent to Dallas is #20.  At #24 Green Bay picks Aaron Rodgers.   

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I think we Bills fans can relate to the Panthers fans.  In 2004 Bills GM Tom Donahoe wanted to draft Ben Roethlisberger but couldn't find a way to trade up (I still blame him for not offering enough to entice a team ahead of Pittsburgh to trade with him).  So, after Pittsburgh drafts Roethlisberger 2 picks before the Bills, Donahoe trades up later in the 1st round to draft J P Losman giving his 2005 pick to Dallas.  In 2005 the Bills pick sent to Dallas is #20.  At #24 Green Bay picks Aaron Rodgers.   

Yeah i agree, i recall wanting Big Ben as a Buffalo Bill and was bummed when we didn't move.

The Steelers and all their Super Bowls annoy me.  I realize it's more than Quarterbacks, but they had the tandem of Bradshaw/Roethlisberger during their big runs. 

I would take our great tandem of Kelly/Allen all day and we have zippo rings.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/17/2024 at 6:36 PM, RoscoeParrish said:

I’m confused at what you’re trying to say. 

The Bears kept lame duck Eberflus, who has shown nothing at the NFL level, and already had a first round QB fail under his watch. 

If the Bears and/or Caleb flounder, he will be the first to go. Then they will be forced to bring in another coach, who may or may not be committed to the previous investment of a #1 overall pick. 

And ultimately, these teams NEED to hire coaches who are 100% committed to getting that investment to succeed. 

The Browns did this with Baker. They kept a terrible HC in Hue Jackson when they brought in Baker. They of course dumped him MID YEAR, brought in another terrible HC in Kitchens, then finally landed on Stefanski, who wanted to move on from Baker immediately. They threw away Baker’s development because the HC didn’t want him. They threw away the investment of pick #1 for the HC.

The Panthers are doing the same. Young has been truly awful, but if he isn’t Canales’ guy, it’s a total waste of the investment.

was talking that the way it fell with both teams movements for picks and players before the two seasons that young isn’t in carolina and chicago doesn’t have the chance for williams. my bad for not making that clearer. sorry. 

your points with coaches commitment of investment to succeed, baker and the browns and carolina are all spot on. 

you also made a great point in another post about a team getting their guy. the system and players have to be on the same page. that’s why I take it with a grain of salt how good or bad a new HC does their first year of employment. the carryover may not be the style they know how to put on the field. 

this is where a GM is of the absolute importance, they need to reflect to the owner whether or not the guy they want to coach their team may necessarily not be the best option for their young quarterback or high value draft picks. 

“threw away the investment of pick #1 for the HC”

absokute money statement. so true words. well said brother. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Eberfluss has shown to be a very capable Defensive coordinator

He’s been fine with tons of assets thrown the defenses’ way.

The thing about consistently winning in the NFL is that the only person that matters is the QB. The greatest defensive coach in the history of the NFL was slogging through .500 years without the QB. The Bills oversaw the longest playoff drought in the NFL without the QB. 

Eberflus being a good DC or a bad DC or a great DC is kind of irrelevant. The only thing that is going to change that team’s trajectory was if Fields succeeded or now if Caleb succeeds. 

On 9/18/2024 at 9:04 PM, zow2 said:

Yeah i agree, i recall wanting Big Ben as a Buffalo Bill and was bummed when we didn't move.

The Steelers and all their Super Bowls annoy me.  I realize it's more than Quarterbacks, but they had the tandem of Bradshaw/Roethlisberger during their big runs. 

I would take our great tandem of Kelly/Allen all day and we have zippo rings.

It was the Jacksonville that refused to switch with the Bills.  They wanted to draft one fo the top three WRs at that time (I believe he went on to be a dud anyways)

On 9/18/2024 at 6:48 AM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I don’t understand why they just don’t tank. What is Andy Dalton going to get you 7 wins at the most ?

The era where a new coach got three years to implement his system is over, especially on teams with volatile owners. Lots of HCs were one-and-done after particularly bad years. Guy is trying to keep his job, and I don't blame him.