Bryce Young already benched in Carolina

mushypeaches

54 minutes ago, Sweats said:

It's because the NFL is enamored over Bama QB's.......anyone who watched Young at Bama, could easily see that he is not a 1st overall pick, but because he flourished under Saban's system, he was put high on some teams draft list.

Realistically, i could have seen Young go late in the first or maybe even into the 2nd round, no higher (a QB hungry team would have taken the chance on him), but to go when he did, is just irresponsible by Carolina. They didn't do their due diligence on Young and now they are paying the price of a bad decision.

I remember thinking Young over Stroud or Richardson made no sense. What elite skill did Young have over either of those guys? I got why Richardson had questions, but he also had some crazy physical skills. But I saw nothing in Young that merited a huge trade up or even just a top 10 pick

Scouting Josh Allen with the benefit of hindsight changed the way I personally look at drafting a QB. What can the player do? What can be molded and refined? What is going to scare opponents? I saw nothing in Youngs game besides accuracy and quick decisions that were "elite"

21 hours ago, Lafromboise said:

There was literally nothing wrong with baker in Cleveland. I really don't understand. The guy wins everywhere he's a good quarterback 

Are we re-writing history now?

He had 1 good season in Cleveland.  Yes, there was a lot of turnover with coaching, but thems the breaks.  He didn't play well for the most part.

He's playing well now, but he also has a nice supporting cast on offense.  I'd put him in the same category as Geno Smith.  

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

He had 1 good season in Cleveland.  Yes, there was a lot of turnover with coaching, but thems the breaks.  He didn't play well for the most part.

He's playing well now, but he also has a nice supporting cast on offense.  I'd put him in the same category as Geno Smith.  

He played well his rookie & 3rd seasons.  In year 4 he was playing with an injury & gutted it out.  So, after a mediocre sophomore season and an injury plagued 4th season, Cleveland went for Watson when he was available, dumping the guy who played when he really shouldn't have.  Now he was bad in Carolina, but every QB who plays in Carolina looks bad. 

Years ago, when a 1st or 2nd round QB was dumped by the team that drafted him while still on his rookie contract, it was a career death sentence.  Suddenly, guys like Geno Smith, Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold are coming back from the NFL graveyard.  Who knows, maybe somewhere in SoCal Josh Rosen is getting his hopes up for a comeback where he can finally prove there really were 9 mistakes ahead of him.  😄

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He played well his rookie & 3rd seasons.  In year 4 he was playing with an injury & gutted it out.  So, after a mediocre sophomore season and an injury plagued 4th season, Cleveland went for Watson when he was available, dumping the guy who played when he really shouldn't have.  Now he was bad in Carolina, but every QB who plays in Carolina looks bad. 

Years ago, when a 1st or 2nd round QB was dumped by the team that drafted him while still on his rookie contract, it was a career death sentence.  Suddenly, guys like Geno Smith, Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold are coming back from the NFL graveyard.  Who knows, maybe somewhere in SoCal Josh Rosen is getting his hopes up for a comeback where he can finally prove there really were 9 mistakes ahead of him.  😄

End of the day...he isn't Josh Allen...not even close to Josh Allen on his best day...that's where they failed. They could have taken Allen at 1 and passed.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Albany covered Mayfield's two good seasons quite well, but let's be real.  Them's the breaks?? Hue Jackson (3-33-1, 2-5-1 in 2018) was his coach for half a rookie season replaced by Greggo Williams.  After the season no one likes Greggo and there was a sense that Freddie Kitchens really made Mayfield effective 2018 so they made Kitchens a first time head coach for 2019.  That was a one season disaster and Kitchens will never be a head coach again.  

Mayfield did well under Stefanski in 2020 and in 2021 dislocated/tore his labrum in his left shoulder the second game of the season.  It totally killed his accuracy, especially throwing to the right side.  I live in Cleveland and watched it happen.  Mayfield was injured the entire season, reinjuring the shoulder and adding on a knee injury.

On top of that, 2021 was Mayfield's contract year so both him and the FO wanted to see if he was worth a big contract.  Mayfield has also confessed to having an attitude problem during his time there.  It was no surprise Cleveland bolted on him but it was also very wrong they kept playing him as injured as he was.

As said already, Mayfield's no Josh Allen but he's a fairly accurate passer with a above average arm.  Not fast but slippery and some scrambling ability.  Good at making reads pre-snap and overall good field intelligence.  Glad to see him get his career back on path.  Not a big fan of his personality, but he can play.  For me, he's a cut above Geno Smith but not in the elite group.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Sure but there is a chance they bring in a guy who isn’t married to Caleb, or has to coach him differently or has to go backwards. 

They should have canned him and started over with a Coach who was all in on Caleb

Yeah but they aren’t in that #1 slot if they don’t trade for the 2023 pick of bryce young…

in fact, if they don’t trade away all the top end talent that team has had over the last few years, who knows where they’d be. certainly aren’t picking #1 overall with CMC, DJ moore and whoever else they end up with under center?

Darnlod, for all the lumps he’s taken, didn’t do too bad the final 6 games of that 22 season: 

went 4-2

threw 1100 yards, 7TDS, 4INTs

that was with DJ moore. You imagine if he had CMC and some other weapons? They aren’t in play for young, williams or any 1st overall without a trade. 

tepper and morgan have traded all that talent, overpaid for average players and turned the coaching staff over too much to give any young qb a chance to succeed. 

Edited by Sojourner

56 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

Yeah but they aren’t in that #1 slot if they don’t trade for the 2023 pick of bryce young…

in fact, if they don’t trade away all the top end talent that team has had over the last few years, who knows where they’d be. certainly aren’t picking #1 overall with CMC, DJ moore and whoever else they end up with under center?

Darnlod, for all the lumps he’s taken, didn’t do too bad the final 6 games of that 22 season: 

went 4-2

threw 1100 yards, 7TDS, 4INTs

that was with DJ moore. You imagine if he had CMC and some other weapons? They aren’t in play for young, williams or any 1st overall without a trade. 

tepper and morgan have traded all that talent, overpaid for average players and turned the coaching staff over too much to give any young qb a chance to succeed. 

I’m confused at what you’re trying to say. 

The Bears kept lame duck Eberflus, who has shown nothing at the NFL level, and already had a first round QB fail under his watch. 

If the Bears and/or Caleb flounder, he will be the first to go. Then they will be forced to bring in another coach, who may or may not be committed to the previous investment of a #1 overall pick. 

And ultimately, these teams NEED to hire coaches who are 100% committed to getting that investment to succeed. 

The Browns did this with Baker. They kept a terrible HC in Hue Jackson when they brought in Baker. They of course dumped him MID YEAR, brought in another terrible HC in Kitchens, then finally landed on Stefanski, who wanted to move on from Baker immediately. They threw away Baker’s development because the HC didn’t want him. They threw away the investment of pick #1 for the HC.

The Panthers are doing the same. Young has been truly awful, but if he isn’t Canales’ guy, it’s a total waste of the investment.

Edited by RoscoeParrish

2 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Poor guy never really had much of a chance, or at least from what a sports talk show was saying, he was a guy that with his measurables was going to need a good situation to be able to have a chance to show what he brings and develop. Instead terrible team, terrible ownership, and revolving door of Coaches.

3 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

The Bears kept lame duck Eberflus, who has shown nothing at the NFL level, and already had a first round QB fail under his watch. 

If the Bears and/or Caleb flounder, he will be the first to go. Then they will be forced to bring in another coach, who may or may not be committed to the previous investment of a #1 overall pick. 

And ultimately, these teams NEED to hire coaches who are 100% committed to getting that investment to succeed. 

The Browns did this with Baker. They kept a terrible HC in Hue Jackson when they brought in Baker. They of course dumped him MID YEAR, brought in another terrible HC in Kitchens, then finally landed on Stefanski, who wanted to move on from Baker immediately. They threw away Baker’s development because the HC didn’t want him. They threw away the investment of pick #1 for the HC.

The Panthers are doing the same. Young has been truly awful, but if he isn’t Canales’ guy, it’s a total waste of the investment.

I hate to use another comparison to this situation, but EJ Manuel was subjected to the same kind of stupidity at the coaching level and destroyed any kind of confidence the kid had. Marrone and Hackett ruined the kid's career

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I hate to use another comparison to this situation, but EJ Manuel was subjected to the same kind of stupidity at the coaching level and destroyed any kind of confidence the kid had. Marrone and Hackett ruined the kid's career

That’s the thing. EJ wasn’t Marrone’s guy. 

It’s true dysfunction. Marrone had no belief in EJ and was willing to move on immediately. Which, honestly, is understandable. But the Bills would’ve been much better off hiring a coach who was all in on developing EJ, even if it didn’t work.

All that matters is your QB becoming a top 15 guy in the NFL. The Panthers pursuing a few extra wins and giving up on Bryce puts them squarely in drought era Bills territory.

Edited by RoscoeParrish
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

EJ was doing okay as a rookie until coaches brow beating him not taking any chances and ruined what game he had.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

He almost beat KC on the road in the playoffs. Then played the following year injured with a bad shoulder. 

Cleveland was in a tough spot. He had done ok but certainly not well enough to get a huge extension. 

I don't fault them from moving on. If he was willing to take a 1 or 2 year prove it deal then he'd probably still be in Cleveland 

14 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Looks like there is room for only one midget in the NFL and he plays in Zona (and is a much better athlete).

I mean 5’9” and 170 lbs? Really?

Yeah, at least Murray is one helluva athlete. Even went 9th overall in the MLB draft. Young looks like he’s in the 11th grade. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/06/baker-in-some-ways-got-screwed-by-browns-ownership-kevin-stefanski-had-no-doubts-moving-forward-with-mayfield/

There was some friction with Stefanski, but I agree with the article that it was primarily Haslam meddling again.  The FO wanted "an adult in the locker room" so they brought in a pervert.  Smooth move Jimmy.