Bryce Young already benched in Carolina

mushypeaches

7 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

There are two levels of Busts for top 10 picks in the first round..

The first level is picks who are NFL caliber players, but were disappointing in production compared to where they were picked. Examples of this would be David Carr, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold or for a non QB, Marcell Dareus. Had they been 3rd or 4th round picks, they would be seen differently, but more was expected based on being a top pick.

The second level those that are so bad that they do not belong in the NFL as a starter or a backup. This would be more for the likes of JaMarcus Russell, Josh Rosen, Zach Wilson or for a non QB Aaron Maybin (not quite a top ten, but still a great example).

The 2nd level should be broken down into 

a) those whose talent/abilities was over rated but were good people 

b) those whose talent/abilities were properly evaluated but character concerns were either not noticed or ignored.

Not so bad to be in 2A, but pretty scathing to be in 2B

3 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Andy Dalton is one of those guys that we can’t get rid of. There’s some guys that have a knack for hanging around even though they’re just average 

Average talent and willing to follow pan and directions is better than more talent and not willing to change to make team successful.

8 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

There are two levels of Busts for top 10 picks in the first round..

The first level is picks who are NFL caliber players, but were disappointing in production compared to where they were picked. Examples of this would be David Carr, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold or for a non QB, Marcell Dareus. Had they been 3rd or 4th round picks, they would be seen differently, but more was expected based on being a top pick.

The second level those that are so bad that they do not belong in the NFL as a starter or a backup. This would be more for the likes of JaMarcus Russell, Josh Rosen, Zach Wilson or for a non QB Aaron Maybin (not quite a top ten, but still a great example).

From what I have seen so far in Bryce Young, he appears to be in the latter category.

There's a third category, guys who very well could have been successful players but were picked into crap situations, where they didn't fit the system or where the surroundings undermined their chances.

IMO one of your category one guys, David Carr, is actually a Category 3 guy. Geno Smith may be another, although perhaps he needed a ton of time as well as a better situation. There are plenty of others.

IMO it's still very early on Bryce Young. He could still be in any of the three.

9 hours ago, Sweats said:

Here's the list of the past 10 Bama QB's (i could have gone all the way back to 20)......you see any NFL standouts in there?

image.thumb.png.c2afaa7a9cce7a52403b76be9b9eea63.png

Well if you went just a BIT further, you'd find Ken Stabler on that list at #42 and Joe Namath at #44, so HAH!

Also, I'd say Jalen Hurts is pretty good. Not elite, but good.

18 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Thank you, Brandon for selecting the "right" Josh. This would be a hellhole to deal with if you take one #1 overall that has to be benched so quickly.

Haha, if this is 2018 draft all over again many of us, myself included, thought the "right" Josh was Rosen since he was being seen as more pro-ready. I'm so happy we were wrong and Allen is the guy. I kinda got the same feeling this year when they drafted Coleman. "Eh, not sure he's gonna be what they expect." I'll be psyched to be wrong on that one too lol. 

Edited by blacklabel

18 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t know what took so long. You could see day 1 last year the guy had zero NFL level qualities. He’s not big, he’s not fast, not accurate, weak arm…idk what they were even thinking 

Agree... He's very small and not fast, he runs he gonna get killed, arm is weak which is made all better by the fact he literally cant read a defense. I dont know who made this pick over Stroud and others but this is gonna set them back years... especially since they traded the first over all pick last year to get him. I guess they get their shot again in April, cause they definitely finish bottom 3 

17 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

So the “overdrafted” comments are such a joke to me. The only discussion anywhere, here included, was should it be Young or Stroud. So if he was overdrafted, it was by 1 spot-he wasn’t going past 2 

Idk if I said it here but while watching Bama games I asked the people watching with me how in the world does anyone think he’s a first or second round QB. I didn’t see much of anything that would translate to the pros.  

27 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Idk if I said it here but while watching Bama games I asked the people watching with me how in the world does anyone think he’s a first or second round QB. I didn’t see much of anything that would translate to the pros.  

It's because the NFL is enamored over Bama QB's.......anyone who watched Young at Bama, could easily see that he is not a 1st overall pick, but because he flourished under Saban's system, he was put high on some teams draft list.

Realistically, i could have seen Young go late in the first or maybe even into the 2nd round, no higher (a QB hungry team would have taken the chance on him), but to go when he did, is just irresponsible by Carolina. They didn't do their due diligence on Young and now they are paying the price of a bad decision.

48 minutes ago, Sweats said:

It's because the NFL is enamored over Bama QB's.......anyone who watched Young at Bama, could easily see that he is not a 1st overall pick, but because he flourished under Saban's system, he was put high on some teams draft list.

Realistically, i could have seen Young go late in the first or maybe even into the 2nd round, no higher (a QB hungry team would have taken the chance on him), but to go when he did, is just irresponsible by Carolina. They didn't do their due diligence on Young and now they are paying the price of a bad decision.

I didn't see it.  He looks like Kyler, but he's not nearly as athletic, and doesn't have nearly as good of an arm.  So in that vein, his football IQ needs to be that much better than a Murray.  

Basically they ended up with a more athletic mac jones, and broke him in year 1 when they put him behind a trash line.  Hopefully he can get out of there sooner rather than later so he can lose the pressure that seems to have consumed him as a #1 overall pick.  

There's a few landing spots that could be interesting.  Cleveland, Tennessee, Vegas, NYG, NYJ, Pitt are all going to be looking for another QB next season and I'm certain they aren't all going to be in position to draft someone.  Carolina needs to go in a different direction at this point.

20 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I wonder who made the call in the 2023 draft to take Young over Stroud?  The former GM, or the owner?

What a disaster compounded by the fact that they traded up to take him. 

Boy if that was Frank he may never work in the NFL again if that gets out ... But if it was the owner being the new guy on the block that year i hope he learns a real good lesson that just because you have all the money that doesn't mean you have all it takes to be a good NFL scout to make good picks in the draft !!