Bryce Young already benched in Carolina

mushypeaches

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

Was it ever confirmed frank reich didn’t want Young? I’d love to know that, but I can understand why Reich wouldn’t say anything about it

Confirmed? As in a written account or on the record interview, no.

Local Clt media members, with connections inside the organization and locker room were given this by disparate sources. 
   Stroud was much closer to Reich’s kinda QB than shrimpy mcshrimpenheimer. 

13 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

But Young did lead his team to victory this year over the Bills….

They literally were calling it “ The drive” here and thinking it was very promising.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Sweats said:

And Bama QB's perform like **** in the NFL.......try and keep up here, son.

You’re gonna die on this hill, it sounds like. Most college QBs suck in the NFL assuming they ever make it in the first place. The hit rate for all colleges is terrible over time.

Edited by dave mcbride

This is the mistake the Bills made for

decades.

The QB and the coach have to be linked. If the coach doesn’t believe in the QB, he is not the right coach for the job. 

McDaniel saved Tua’s career when they brought him in because he believed in Tua. He was right (kinda) and Tua has been a good productive starter. This was in stark contrast to what Flores had Tua looking like. 

The Giants brought in Daboll and Schoen because they believed they could fix DJ. They were wrong, but they gave Jones a chance. 

Young has no chance. Zero. His career with the Panthers is done. And all in the pursuit of winning 3 games instead of 2.

The goal of every single lost franchise should be “make my highly drafted QB at least decent.” Not win 4 games or 6 games. Because….if you get a decent QB, you will hit those numbers regardless.

The Bears did this, AGAIN. They kept lame duck Eberflus, who was brought in after Fields was drafted by Nagy and subsequently fired. 3 years later, they have picked 3 times in the top 8.

This is how bad franchises stay bad. Marry the QB and coach immediately or hope you hit on a random lotto ticket. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Way over drafted.

No reason for them to take a chance on pick #1 on an undersized QB from of all schools, Alabama.  Biggest break the Texans ever got was the selection of Bryce Young over CJ Stroud.  You cant coach size.

Carolina in the driver seat to do it all over again in next years draft.  The team is in shambles.

They'll be a decent team with Dalton.

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Great post but I think you have to re-evaluate Baker Mayfield, man is playing near an MVP level now.

It's Week 2.  

Make no mistake, he was bad in Cleveland.

• Disagree 2

Benching Young this early is the right thing to do, but wow. Drafting a QB can be a crapshoot.  The killer is what they gave up to move up from #8 to #1.  Carolina is pretty screwed for a while.

Speaking as a Buffalonian who is now an Alabama resident, I think you need to be careful evaluating players from Georgia and Alabama (and maybe OH St, UM, etc.).  They are almost always physically gifted, but they might not be all they seem to be because they are surrounded by superior talent and face inferior talent at almost every position.  So their shortcomings (Young has an obvious one 😉 ) are often covered up.  Prime examples are various recent OL such as Alex Leatherwood.  Physical specimen, but bad things happened when he played.  He was drafted 17th overall, was waived in less than 2 years, and is now bouncing from practice squad to practice squad.  Alabama QBs often have the luxury of throwing to wide open receivers and are mostly well protected.  When he had to, Young could run around and seemed very clutch and calm at UA, but its not surprising he can't succeed when surrounded by average to poor talent.  Mac Jones won a Natty throwing to wide open NFL WRs while OH St played a 4-4-3.  You may have noticed some issues at NE with him.  The only exception used to be defensive backfield at Alabama, that was Saban's personal domain and if you weren't competent, you were not getting on the field. 

Edited by notpolian

1 hour ago, RoscoeParrish said:

This is the mistake the Bills made for

decades.

The QB and the coach have to be linked. If the coach doesn’t believe in the QB, he is not the right coach for the job. 

McDaniel saved Tua’s career when they brought him in because he believed in Tua. He was right (kinda) and Tua has been a good productive starter. This was in stark contrast to what Flores had Tua looking like. 

The Giants brought in Daboll and Schoen because they believed they could fix DJ. They were wrong, but they gave Jones a chance. 

Young has no chance. Zero. His career with the Panthers is done. And all in the pursuit of winning 3 games instead of 2.

The goal of every single lost franchise should be “make my highly drafted QB at least decent.” Not win 4 games or 6 games. Because….if you get a decent QB, you will hit those numbers regardless.

The Bears did this, AGAIN. They kept lame duck Eberflus, who was brought in after Fields was drafted by Nagy and subsequently fired. 3 years later, they have picked 3 times in the top 8.

This is how bad franchises stay bad. Marry the QB and coach immediately or hope you hit on a random lotto ticket. 

good post. 

your eberflus point is interesting. fields did nothing with him but the team did improve year 2… now you’ve given the defensive coach all the pieces to work with on both sides of the ball it’s make or break this year for me if i am the halas/mcaskey family.

if things dont work out in chicago then you bring in an offensive minded coach to steer the ship with caleb and all those offensive weapons

13 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

good post. 

your eberflus point is interesting. fields did nothing with him but the team did improve year 2… now you’ve given the defensive coach all the pieces to work with on both sides of the ball it’s make or break this year for me if i am the halas/mcaskey family.

if things dont work out in chicago then you bring in an offensive minded coach to steer the ship with caleb and all those offensive weapons

Sure but there is a chance they bring in a guy who isn’t married to Caleb, or has to coach him differently or has to go backwards. 

They should have canned him and started over with a Coach who was all in on Caleb

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Lafromboise said:

There was literally nothing wrong with baker in Cleveland. I really don't understand. The guy wins everywhere he's a good quarterback 

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Baker is.  If he improves just a touch, he can become over rated.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

They'll be a decent team with Dalton.

It's Week 2.  

Make no mistake, he was bad in Cleveland.

Baker was not ready for NFL so Head Coach brought in Alex Van Pelt to retrain him.  Alex has been known as a keen evaluator of QBs and defenses for a long time.  His ability to audible was taken away until he could identify right reads and then added back gradually.  Baker was a much better QB but offense was having issues which was head coach's expertise and he convinced GM they were a QB away from contender so Browns jumped in bidding for QB and committed to fully(*) guaranteed contract.  

Baker went to Bucs where he showed it was not his issue but Browns and Bucs are reworking offense to fit him.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Well......we weren't too crazy about the Josh Allen and Terrell Bernard picks to be fair.

It’s like the weather, you know what it is when you look and see it, predictions be bleeped.

I don’t think Beane knew either but he had a hunch and he had the cahones to go with it…..Thankfully.😁

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He was the consensus #1 QB in that draft by most college scouts and draft pundits.  His comparison was Drew Brees.  A lot of revisionist history going on with Bryce Young.

A lot of praise and hype often follow once the talking heads find out who the #1 pick is going to be. There was far too much of that for Young. I’m sure some actually believed it, but there were some that didn’t buy into it. So it wasn’t a consensus.

For the record I thought that taking any 5’10” QB anywhere close to #1 overall was stupid and that Stroud was the easy choice at 1. He had potential for greatness whereas Young’s ceiling was “serviceable starter”. I had a number of posts to that effect.

The Brees comparisons were lazy and inaccurate. He’s the successful “short” QB that always seems to be the comparison for every short QB prospect. But Brees is 6’ 0-1/2”, not 5’10”. And he’s still a unicorn. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

This is absolutely nuts to me, it seems like there might be more to this story, nobody gives up on a first overall pick after 2 games in their second season in a garbage team.

I have watched every single one of Young’s starts. He’s terrible. He 84 yards passing yesterday. He was pressured on something like 4 snaps yesterday and couldn’t crack 100 yards? Even in garbage time, which was most of the game for Carolina. He’s laughably bad and his confidence is completely shot. Dalton is a huge upgrade for that roster, which is saying something

Carolina will suddenly be a decent team next week

• Agree 1

Young's problem is he hasn't shown anything on an NFL field. Even Darnold and Mayfield showed some sort of potential early on. This has been more like Josh Rosen where every time he takes the field it looks really bad, and there's nothing even remotely promising to point to. What high end traits are there to develop? He can't read the field, he hasn't been accurate, he gets lost in the pocket, he isn't big or fast or strong. Normally I'm in favor of letting the young QB sink or swim but there's a point where you have to just acknowledge what you're seeing with your own two eyes... My guess is his career will end similarly to Rosen's, get signed to a couple practice squads and then it will be over for good. Brutal league.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I have watched every single one of Young’s starts. He’s terrible. He 84 yards passing yesterday. He was pressured on something like 4 snaps yesterday and couldn’t crack 100 yards? Even in garbage time, which was most of the game for Carolina. He’s laughably bad and his confidence is completely shot. Dalton is a huge upgrade for that roster, which is saying something

Carolina will suddenly be a decent team next week

I have only watched a few games, but if Dalton is an upgrade… yikes..