A small part of the Chiefs secret sauce.

Chaos

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Championship teams generally control most of the games and often beat up on the opponent.  They typically have better talent and are better prepared for games. 

The bold part above is the main reason the Chiefs win championships.  But I think the rest of the post points out a small contributer. 

Your title says secret sauce but then this part really isn't a sauce. 

Imo, the two main reasons are consistently strong defense by Spagnuolo and clutch plays by Mahomes. 

• Eyeroll 1

Didn't see the game as I was out of town with no TV but just read this:

Travis Kelce has just 39 receiving yards in 2024, the fewest in any two-game span in his NFL career.

That's heartening. Makes me sick to read that penalties (among other things) help the Chiefs yet again but Kelce has to be declining from his prime and being an unstoppable force, right? The bast*** turns 35 in early October so he has to be. I hope. 😳

18 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Didn't see the game as I was out of town with no TV but just read this:

Travis Kelce has just 39 receiving yards in 2024, the fewest in any two-game span in his NFL career.

That's heartening. Makes me sick to read that penalties (among other things) help the Chiefs yet again but Kelce has to be declining from his prime and being an unstoppable force, right? The bast*** turns 35 in early October so he has to be. I hope. 😳

Don’t worry. He’d be back to 25 when the calendar turns to January. 

1 hour ago, TBBills Fan said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/isiah-pacheco-will-miss-weeks-with-fractured-fibula

He is really mr reliable for them in the run game. A big loss 

Found this interesting: 17 INTs against mahomes have been negated via defensive penalty.  Leads the league. 

Wonder how many of those 17 go a different way if the INT stands

A couple things. First this is a good question. Second the number is skewed high. Mahomes is incredibly well aware of his surroundings and sees when an early flag is thrown against the opponent. And then typically goes for the home run ball, which is some times intercepted. 

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Or maybe your defensive back shouldn’t needlessly jump up and hit the Chiefs receiver in the back on a clearly uncatchable fourth and forever throw. (Just spitballing here) 

Didn't watch the game that was the call? That's so dumb, there's no way they were calling it like that all game, when it gets down in the 4th the refs should let them battle it out more not less. It should be blatant to warrant a flag effecting the outcome of the game.

I found out yesterday the Chiefs OL has never been called for holding in the SB. Not once. The offense has only had one holding call period and that was a WR on a rush attempt. We know their DBs get away with holding regularly. Not sure how many penalties the defensive side has drawn, but it hasn’t been enough. I’d say the lack of penalties is also some sort of secret sauce. 

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

It is funny people say "Refs" but yesterdays CB committing blatant DPI and the AFC title two years ago when the DE just pummeled Mahomes out of bounds are as basic and easy of calls as they get. There are certainly other times the Chiefs have benefited where it has been questionable, but the Bills and Packers both beat KC last year in games where I would say the call was questionable that went against KC.

Like the Patriots prior they are so good and well coached you have to close on them and play mistake free. The jealousy burns high because they do not make those mistakes often and people are just tired of them. I have more respect for folks who say they are just tired of KC at this point then refs.

Really?  The call in Bills’ game was questionable?  Best line I heard was that if Toney was any more Offside, Bills would have been called for 12 men on the field.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Didn't watch the game that was the call? That's so dumb, there's no way they were calling it like that all game, when it gets down in the 4th the refs should let them battle it out more not less. It should be blatant to warrant a flag effecting the outcome of the game.

It was blatant. You can’t run through a receiver before the ball gets there. If that happened to the Bills I’d want a flag. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Championship teams generally control most of the games and often beat up on the opponent.  They typically have better talent and are better prepared for games. 

But in the NFL, the lack of undefeated teams, highlights that this is very tough to do every week. 

Yesterday Joe Burrow put up a 103 passer rating. P. Mahomes was at 80.  In 95%+ of games a passer rating gap that big would result in a loss for the lower rated team. 

Yesterday the Chiefs had 3 turnovers to the Bengals one turnover.  Conventional wisdom is that it is nearly impossible to win a game with a minus 2 turnover ratio.  (Statistically teams with a +2 margin win 81% of games)

Yesterday the Chiefs over came both of these situations and still found a way to win. In my casual observation, the Chiefs seem to find ways to win, more often than anyone else in situations where they should lose.   I think it is tough to statisicially assess this, because in all but about 3-4 games a season, the Chiefs are going to statiscially out match opponents. 

Note- Flip side of this is the Bengals finding a way to lose a game they should have won. 

The bold part above is the main reason the Chiefs win championships.  But I think the rest of the post points out a small contributer. 

Like anything in life , there’s a randomness to it. There’s some good fortune and some bad fortune. It is impossible to go for three peat in this league without a lot of good fortune. 

The perfect example of this was yesterday’s game. The Burrow fumble - not only did Burrow appear to simply lose the ball through no major/excessive contact, but the fumble was picked up and returned for a TD. There’s a lot of good fortune in that play. 

One of the INT Mahomes threw was negated by a penalty that had nothing to do with the INT he threw. 

Then the final PI of the game could just as easily been not called PI. It’s a 50/50 call. 

The ravens’ game also had Likely stepping out of bounds by half a toe. So many close calls and plays over the years that have, more often than not, gone the Chiefs way. 

13 seconds with us. I can go on and on. 

The Chiefs are an excellent team that have also had the fortunate streak of having numerous random events break right for them. It’s how dynasties are made. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

It was blatant. You can’t run through a receiver before the ball gets there. If that happened to the Bills I’d want a flag. 

A possible exception to pass interference is if the defender is trying to catch the ball too - and that’s what occurred there. That was almost a jump ball and the defender got higher than the WR but also made contact with the WR. The defender was in a better position to make the catch. I don’t think that was a black/white PI call. I can’t get too mad at the refs because there was contact but it also serves as an example of where a call can almost go either way, but goes in the direction of the Chiefs. 

• Like (+1) 2

Andy Reid is not a secret nor is he a small part of this team. Face it everyone,  the Chiefs are the new Brady/ Belichick Patriots. They have the best QB / HC  combo in the league. They are clearly the league darlings who become instantly entitled to extra calls. The have the world's top pop star helping their marketing and exposure.  This is an absolute dream scenario for Goodell.  Is it fair to the other 31 teams....no.  But Roger doesn't care about fair, he cares about revenue.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Like the Patriots in their heyday, they don't beat themselves.  Speaks to good coaching and scouting.

No, they make some mistakes. Mahomes threw 2 INT's. He often turns it over. And he has a ton of INT's that are dropped. They just have the talent and ability to overcome mistakes. Brady and the Patriots were less mistake prone.

3 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

A possible exception to pass interference is if the defender is trying to catch the ball too - and that’s what occurred there. That was almost a jump ball and the defender got higher than the WR but also made contact with the WR. The defender was in a better position to make the catch. I don’t think that was a black/white PI call. I can’t get too mad at the refs because there was contact but it also serves as an example of where a call can almost go either way, but goes in the direction of the Chiefs. 

But it wasn’t a jumped ball the defender jumped forward through the receiver. Watching the replay you can see the defender pushed the receiver’s head down with this contact. There was a similar play earlier in the game that was not called. The CBS broadcast team commented that it should’ve been a penalty. Then this was even more egregious. It was the right call. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Really?  The call in Bills’ game was questionable?  Best line I heard was that if Toney was any more Offside, Bills would have been called for 12 men on the field.

It was questionable in the sense of it is rarely called and happens all the time. It was 100% a penalty, my point is more if that happened in reverse we would've been furious too.

Saw a majority of that game, imo,both teams aren't that good,Chiefs are a threat but they seem to be lacking something this year, their best player might be Butker.

They finally have to deal with a big time injury in Pacheco, their rb depth looks bad and it's a huge part of their identity 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I saw the game.  Did you watch the replay? That was blatant.  The only thing dumb was the Cincinnati defender.  He came up directly behind, elbowed the KC receiver in the back of the head driving his head down and body chucking him before the ball ever got there.   I can understand a controversy if it's a hail Mary scrum or they're battling side by side, but one on one from behind before the ball arrives on 4th and 16?   Rightfully called. 

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

It is funny people say "Refs" but yesterdays CB committing blatant DPI and the AFC title two years ago when the DE just pummeled Mahomes out of bounds are as basic and easy of calls as they get. There are certainly other times the Chiefs have benefited where it has been questionable, but the Bills and Packers both beat KC last year in games where I would say the call was questionable that went against KC.

Like the Patriots prior they are so good and well coached you have to close on them and play mistake free. The jealousy burns high because they do not make those mistakes often and people are just tired of them. I have more respect for folks who say they are just tired of KC at this point then refs.

They mugged Hendrickson all game…if they called oline penalties even just like 10% closer  the chiefs would’ve gotten absolutely demolished...the game wouldn’t have even been close and probably would’ve resembled the bucs chiefs Super Bowl.  That’s really how much control refs have over a game 

the pi to close out the game was a fine call.  The offensive Offside on the chiefs against the bills was 100% the correct call as well   

the chiefs did not resemble anything close to the vintage Brady pats ‘you have to play perfect to beat us’ this weekend…they were kind of a mess.  Bengals win that game with a fumble six on the resume if the db does nothing on that 4th down play 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

A couple things. First this is a good question. Second the number is skewed high. Mahomes is incredibly well aware of his surroundings and sees when an early flag is thrown against the opponent. And then typically goes for the home run ball, which is some times intercepted. 

That makes sense and can certainly account for a few of them. I'd venture to guess that is only a small handful. 

Turnovers can be up to a 14 point swing. 

They are indeed well coached and take advantage of all their opportunities, but the element of luck. Seems to apply to them with injuries and penalties