A small part of the Chiefs secret sauce.

Chaos

Championship teams generally control most of the games and often beat up on the opponent.  They typically have better talent and are better prepared for games. 

But in the NFL, the lack of undefeated teams, highlights that this is very tough to do every week. 

Yesterday Joe Burrow put up a 103 passer rating. P. Mahomes was at 80.  In 95%+ of games a passer rating gap that big would result in a loss for the lower rated team. 

Yesterday the Chiefs had 3 turnovers to the Bengals one turnover.  Conventional wisdom is that it is nearly impossible to win a game with a minus 2 turnover ratio.  (Statistically teams with a +2 margin win 81% of games)

Yesterday the Chiefs over came both of these situations and still found a way to win. In my casual observation, the Chiefs seem to find ways to win, more often than anyone else in situations where they should lose.   I think it is tough to statisicially assess this, because in all but about 3-4 games a season, the Chiefs are going to statiscially out match opponents. 

Note- Flip side of this is the Bengals finding a way to lose a game they should have won. 

The bold part above is the main reason the Chiefs win championships.  But I think the rest of the post points out a small contributer. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

How many games have they won because they simply need to get to the opponents 40 yard line and the games over?

We just assume we would’ve lost when Bass missed that FG to tie the game against KC, but we’ll never know. 

We lost to Philly because our kicker missed and their kicker made it. 

McPherson missed an extra point. 

Butker is as clutch as it gets.  

Mahomes, Reid, Kelce, Jones and Butker.  It’s time to put him in that group. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Championship teams generally control most of the games and often beat up on the opponent.  They typically have better talent and are better prepared for games. 

But in the NFL, the lack of undefeated teams, highlights that this is very tough to do every week. 

Yesterday Joe Burrow put up a 103 passer rating. P. Mahomes was at 80.  In 95%+ of games a passer rating gap that big would result in a loss for the lower rated team. 

Yesterday the Chiefs had 3 turnovers to the Bengals one turnover.  Conventional wisdom is that it is nearly impossible to win a game with a minus 2 turnover ratio.  (Statistically teams with a +2 margin win 81% of games)

Yesterday the Chiefs over came both of these situations and still found a way to win. In my casual observation, the Chiefs seem to find ways to win, more often than anyone else in situations where they should lose.   I think it is tough to statisicially assess this, because in all but about 3-4 games a season, the Chiefs are going to statiscially out match opponents. 

Note- Flip side of this is the Bengals finding a way to lose a game they should have won. 

The bold part above is the main reason the Chiefs win championships.  But I think the rest of the post points out a small contributer. 

mathematics….

after week 1 you have 16 1-0 teams 

if Winners played each other after week 2 you would have 8 2-0 teams

after week 3 4 left

week 4 2 left

in the nfl with most teams the margins between playoffs and not is marginal. Early inn-the seasons team have something to fight for. By game 7 or so separation  can occur with some luck in getting 5-2or better or 2-5 and worse.

the current 2-0 teams sre

Bills ( cards, fins)

Steelers ( falcons, broncos)

texans ( colts, bears)

chargers ( panthers, raiders)

chiefs ( bengals, ravens)

Vikings ( giants, 49ers)

Alvin and the  chip-monks ( panthers, cowboys)

Bucs ( commanders, lions)

Seahawks ( broncos, patriots)

eagles* (1-0 play tonight) ( packers, vs falcons)

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

How many games have they won because they simply need to get to the opponents 40 yard line and the games over?

We just assume we would’ve lost when Bass missed that FG to tie the game against KC, but we’ll never know. 

We lost to Philly because our kicker missed and their kicker made it. 

McPherson missed an extra point. 

Butker is as clutch as it gets.  

Mahomes, Reid, Kelce, Jones and Butker.  It’s time to put him in that group. 

This is basically it.

NE when they dominated won most if not all their chips by like 3 points.  they had a kicker who just never wilted to the pressure.

butger is about as clutch as possible, and he also drills the long ones.  

special teams does not have the upside that d and o has, but shortcomings on special teams cost you dearly.  we lost the jets game to start last year on a punt return.  we lost by 3 to kc in the playoffs and missed a kick.  we let the kick go back for a td vs zona, and it went to the last drive instead of a walk away.  

i think its pretty clear clutch play on special teams, particularly being able to hit the long late fg, is one of the biggest separation points between chips and also rans.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Shortchaz said:

Just like the Brady patriots, you can’t just outlast them, you have to bury them. 

and the Zebras.   When Zebras are making calls on for one side only ignoring fouls on other OC needs to set up pick plays so Zebras get hit by opposition players.

11 minutes ago, colin said:

This is basically it.

NE when they dominated won most if not all their chips by like 3 points.  they had a kicker who just never wilted to the pressure.

butger is about as clutch as possible, and he also drills the long ones.  

special teams does not have the upside that d and o has, but shortcomings on special teams cost you dearly.  we lost the jets game to start last year on a punt return.  we lost by 3 to kc in the playoffs and missed a kick.  we let the kick go back for a td vs zona, and it went to the last drive instead of a walk away.  

i think its pretty clear clutch play on special teams, particularly being able to hit the long late fg, is one of the biggest separation points between chips and also rans.

According to many posters on this board money should not be spent on special teams and team should use UDFAs as well as elevated practice squad players to keep cost down as low as possible.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Or maybe your defensive back shouldn’t needlessly jump up and hit the Chiefs receiver in the back on a clearly uncatchable fourth and forever throw. (Just spitballing here) 

It is funny people say "Refs" but yesterdays CB committing blatant DPI and the AFC title two years ago when the DE just pummeled Mahomes out of bounds are as basic and easy of calls as they get. There are certainly other times the Chiefs have benefited where it has been questionable, but the Bills and Packers both beat KC last year in games where I would say the call was questionable that went against KC.

Like the Patriots prior they are so good and well coached you have to close on them and play mistake free. The jealousy burns high because they do not make those mistakes often and people are just tired of them. I have more respect for folks who say they are just tired of KC at this point then refs.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

and the Zebras.   When Zebras are making calls on for one side only ignoring fouls on other OC needs to set up pick plays so Zebras get hit by opposition players.

According to many posters on this board money should not be spent on special teams and team should use UDFAs as well as elevated practice squad players to keep cost down as low as possible.

i honestly do think we have put too much money into like coverage tackling guys who can't do much else, but to me the biggest things for special teams are:

don't make bad mistakes

and

convert kicks

and i think we paid big cash to bass in hopes he could get us 2, but he's just not done it lately.

no matter what, good kickers on good teams win big games.

• Agree 1