Bills posting "insane" offensive efficiency metrics thru 2 weeks

Big Turk

Last year the Bills finished 3rd in the NFL in EPA/play on offense at 0.10.

This year they are at 0.21 EPA/play on offense, more than double last year.

EPA per pass is up from 0.12 last year to 0.37 this year.

In other words, the Bills are a machine offensively this year.

Season still young, but early returns are very promising.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/9/15/24245310/buffalo-bills-offense-posting-insane-efficiency-metrics-through-two-games-of-2024-nfl-analysis

https://www.nfeloapp.com/nfl-power-ratings/nfl-epa-tiers/

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 7

obv its too soon to be a trend, but what i'm seeing more than anything that contributes to this success so far is quite simply TE and RB productivity.  the TEs haven't been catching a ton of balls, but they have been on the field a lot, blocking and forcing the D to be where our O wants them.  the old dabol model of 4 or 5 wrs just lining up and running around and allen finding them is too easy for the modern two deep safety ds to take away.

i do think we miss diggs in that we don't have a go to wr really.  i'd be happy if we traded for a top flight wr to put the o over the top this season, but i think we might need to get a LB more.

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Last year the Bills finished 3rd in the NFL in EPA/play on offense at 0.10.

This year they are at 0.21 EPA/play on offense, more than double last year.

EPA per pass is up from 0.12 last year to 0.37 this year.

In other words, the Bills are a machine offensively this year.

Season still young, but early returns are very promising.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/9/15/24245310/buffalo-bills-offense-posting-insane-efficiency-metrics-through-two-games-of-2024-nfl-analysis

https://www.nfeloapp.com/nfl-power-ratings/nfl-epa-tiers/

What does EPA mean? Never mind. I googled it. 😵

Edited by PromoTheRobot

18 minutes ago, colin said:

obv its too soon to be a trend, but what i'm seeing more than anything that contributes to this success so far is quite simply TE and RB productivity.  the TEs haven't been catching a ton of balls, but they have been on the field a lot, blocking and forcing the D to be where our O wants them.  the old dabol model of 4 or 5 wrs just lining up and running around and allen finding them is too easy for the modern two deep safety ds to take away.

i do think we miss diggs in that we don't have a go to wr really.  i'd be happy if we traded for a top flight wr to put the o over the top this season, but i think we might need to get a LB more.

Shakir is our go to WR.  He might not be a star- but he’s our go-to.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, colin said:

And yet Diggs has gone from a “go to” to a virtual afterthought in the Texans offense. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

VERY young. The next 4 games will most likely show all the warts. No way we can maintain with the casualty list growing weekly.

Let's be real...we have Josh Allen...how many warts do you think there are going to be? Not many.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Josh couldn't defend 13 seconds.  Those Warts will most likely show on Defense.

This topic is specifically about OFFENSIVE EPA and OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY, but people keep bringing up defense. How does that have anything to do with this topic?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Shakir is our go to WR.  He might not be a star- but he’s our go-to.  

More specifically we don't have a go to WR outside the numbers. Shakir has been very effective from the slot. Defenses are going to start clogging the middle and dare our WRs to win on the boundary. That is one addition that I think might be necessary to really compete for a Super Bowl this year.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

The trend could continue but it sure doesn't seem sustainable. OTOH, Brady was a big part of coaching one of the most prolific attacks in collage football. The thing that is encouraging, is how much the Bills have been mixing things up, spreading the ball around. Defenses have not been able to key in and take away the best offensive weapon because everyone is getting touches and still producing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The Saints stats seem more insane, but given its only a couple weeks into the season, i'd expect them to course correct over time. Time will tell how well we perform, but i definitely think we can & will improve upon these, because we havent seen our full offense play. Curtis Samuel has been hurt, Keon is just getting his feet wet. I'd like to see these stats when our offense is running full throttle. Because i think we can all agree that they havent peaked yet by any means, theyre just getting started & thats the exciting bit for me. Just gotta stay healthy

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

The trend could continue but it sure doesn't seem sustainable. OTOH, Brady was a big part of coaching one of the most prolific attacks in collage football. The thing that is encouraging, is how much the Bills have been mixing things up, spreading the ball around. Defenses have not been able to key in and take away the best offensive weapon because everyone is getting touches and still producing.

Maybe, maybe not.  Bills have been one of the leaders in the focus on the heavy run game against the 2 high coverages that lots of other teams seem to be following now.  We have led the NFL in points/game and been top 3 in EPA for the last 4 years. Why would you think it wouldn't be sustainable with Allen who has done it for a long time now?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

More specifically we don't have a go to WR outside the numbers. Shakir has been very effective from the slot. Defenses are going to start clogging the middle and dare our WRs to win on the boundary. That is one addition that I think might be necessary to really compete for a Super Bowl this year.

We don't know that as of this time.  Coleman showed he can grab balls on the sidelines.

Bills have done some group WR screens that are working better than the past.

The thing about keying on the middle for D's is they allow the potential for big gains made on swing passes out of the backfield.

Once teams drop more in the box and the middle it will open up some long balls.  Josh hitting some of those will add another attack.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1