Around the NFL Week 2

PetermansRedemption

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That was both PI AND a hit to the head on a defenseless receiver on the same play. How could you NOT call it?

If you want to argue no PI, you are wrong, but OK, it's still a hit to the head.

He wasn’t playing the player, he was going for the INT. If the balls in the air it should be free for anyone to make a play on it. NFL gotta give some leeway to these defenders.  Just a bull#### way to end a game. Terrible throw, defender plays ball not man and the WR back petals into him because that’s where the terrible throw led him. Just bull####

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

That was a ticky tack call but of course the league can’t have its golden team losing to the Bengals. Next week they get Jim Harbaugh that should be a very

very interesting game

Would it have been better if they didn’t call the ticky tack one before that play? Either way KC was going to win. 

6 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It bailed out a desperation play late though that had almost no chance of being completed

I can’t hate on them for calling it but I probably wouldn’t have 

A lot of penalties bail out bad plays. Wanya Morris's hands to the face on the previous play wasn't the reason the Bengals defense failed to get the stop on 4th and 6. It still counted against the Chiefs. Fair is fair.

I will call out refs when they are obviously wrong and obviously impacting the game, but equally I dislike how many fans immediately start pointing the finger at officials instead of at the team that lost the game. Especially when the complaints have no basis in fact.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, BananaB said:

He wasn’t playing the player, he was going for the INT. If the balls in the air it should be free for anyone to make a play on it. NFL gotta give some leeway to these defenders.  Just a bull#### way to end a game. Terrible throw, defender plays ball not man and the WR back petals into him because that’s where the terrible throw led him. Just bull####

This I agree with.  By the letter it's a penalty.  But he was absolutely playing the ball.  If he hadn't gotten there a split second early it wouldn't have been called.

It's just so frustrating to see a play and then watch the flag come in three seconds later.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

In the (other place) group chat i typed as the Bengals punted "i just wonder how overt the NFL will be about the 4th down flag to extend the drive"

I'm not Kreskin, but watch enough professional wrestling and you figure out how it works

I guess I have to chart this one out.

KC will obviously be in the playoffs, and barring a big injury or two, will be the favorites.

Cincy may miss the playoffs, and their chances will get a lot worse if they lose today.

Bills are 2-0.

Upshot: NFL/refs are trying to contrive a Mahomes-Allen rematch in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

No that's not how it goes. No different from a dude going for a rebound in basketball. If he has position on you then that's on you...you gotta go around him to get it, you can't go thru him.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BLeonard said:

Here's the thing, though

If the roles are reversed and it's the Bengals on offense, in a 4th and 16, driving for a GW FG, does the flag fly?

I'd bet it doesn't.

To me, THAT's the difference.

Refs did some home cooking favoritism for the Bengals when we played them in Cinci last year (Allen getting called for intentional grounding when it clearly wasn't (wasn't pressured and was clearly going towards Davis - Allen also got called for a weak taunt and then a Bengals defender gets away with a taunt after a cheap shot at Allen's legs for the second year in a row ) 

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-controversial-intentional-grounding-call-cincinnati-bengals

• Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

A lot of penalties bail out bad plays. Wanya Morris's hands to the face on the previous play wasn't the reason the Bengals defense failed to get the stop on 4th and 6. It still counted against the Chiefs. Fair is fair.

I will call out refs when they are obviously wrong and obviously impacting the game, but equally I dislike how many fans immediately start pointing the finger at officials instead of at the team that lost the game. Especially when the complaints have no basis in fact.

Oh yea that’s fair…I think there’s a case for calling those kinds of 4th down plays tighter late in games overall…there’s def a logical argument for not changing how games are officiated because it’s late in a game

ive def seen teams get away with that level of contact in that situation but that doesn’t mean they should 

2 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

agreed,  but i want Caleb to continue to look terrible.  mainly because Bears fans were fitting him for a gold jacket already after the preseason win vs the Bills.  

They've never had great QB play. I can't blame them for being excited. There were plenty of people here doing the same for Josh way too early in his career, too.

5 minutes ago, BLeonard said:

Here's the thing, though

If the roles are reversed and it's the Bengals on offense, in a 4th and 16, driving for a GW FG, does the flag fly?

I'd bet it doesn't.

To me, THAT's the difference.

It flew on a pass that Chase pulled the KC defender down on top of him that was 10 yards over his head and 5 yards out of bounds.

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That was both PI AND a hit to the head on a defenseless receiver on the same play. How could you NOT call it?

If you want to argue no PI, you are wrong, but OK, it's still a hit to the head.

Ehh…

The defensive player has just as much right to the ball as the offensive player.

Its all about perception.