Around the NFL Week 2

PetermansRedemption

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Whoa. 

He is broken. Not sure if it’s the Panthers fault or not but he is unbelievably uncomfortable under center, has no pocket presence, and has been getting clobbered.

he missed a WR screen to Thielen yesterday and looked like he was close to tears.

Very sad for the young man. I truly don’t think he will ever see meaningful snaps again.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The DB makes clear contact before the ball arrives. That is what I see even slowed down. It's DPI. 

There were a few notable examples from earlier in the game when DBs made contact early with no call.  One on each team.  That last DPI was the most egregious.

The holding call which negated another Mahomes INT was more questionable if I recall correctly.

21 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hell play again but he has been historically bad. Carolina is a joke organization and have done him no favors but I don’t remember any wow type plays from him. It’s bad. 

Dude was a baller at Bama though. But maybe laying with all 5 star recruits doesn’t develop you for playing on a crap team in the nfl. 

You don't need to develop when you can win championships by starfishing and letting your teammates do all the work.  That dead fish effort isn't cutting it in the pros.

32 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hell play again but he has been historically bad. Carolina is a joke organization and have done him no favors but I don’t remember any wow type plays from him. It’s bad. 

Dude was a baller at Bama though. But maybe laying with all 5 star recruits doesn’t develop you for playing on a crap team in the nfl. 

what's happening in Carolina is that they traded star players like Christian McCaffrey, DJ Moore, and Brian Burns in the prime of their careers, and in those deals, gave up more 1st-round picks than they received in return. The trade to draft Young was ridiculous

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Screenshot-2024-09-16-130627.png

This is exactly where the DB stopped and set his feet. He then started his motion to jump up for the ball. You see he isnt touching the receiver here. The receivers momentum carried back into the DB.

While I am fine with the call and dont really care about it. I think its a bit more than just black and white.

He then jumps into him. 

16 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

There were a few notable examples from earlier in the game when DBs made contact early with no call.  One on each team.  That last DPI was the most egregious.

The holding call which negated another Mahomes INT was more questionable if I recall correctly.

That was the most questionable call IMO. 

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You don't need to develop when you can win championships by starfishing and letting your teammates do all the work.  That dead fish effort isn't cutting it in the pros.

I do think he played with the “worst” group of Bama players during their run and had to make a lot of plays himself to win games. 

his size always scared me but he is outright terrible. 

36 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Playing with a zillion five-star recruits was only a problem in the sense that it masked his deficiencies when playing against teams comprised of 3-star recruits, a couple of fours, and maybe 1-2 fives. Stetson Bennett looked amazing in college, as did Ken Dorsey for that matter. They just weren't that talented physically. A guy who was and who played in an elite program was Stafford, and he's had a very good NFL career. Because he's really talented. 

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

what's happening in Carolina is that they traded star players like Christian McCaffrey, DJ Moore, and Brian Burns in the prime of their careers, and in those deals, gave up more 1st-round picks than they received in return. The trade to draft Young was ridiculous

I guess I get McCaffrey because he struggled with injuries and paying an aging RB big money isn’t great. 

but trading Moore and the #1 pick (and I think some other stuff as well) that turns into a better qb prospect is wild. 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Playing with a zillion five-star recruits was only a problem in the sense that it masked his deficiencies when playing against teams comprised of 3-star recruits, a couple of fours, and maybe 1-2 fives. Stetson Bennett looked amazing in college, as did Ken Dorsey for that matter. They just weren't that talented physically. A guy who was and who played in an elite program was Stafford, and he's had a very good NFL career. Because he's really talented. 

I get your point but Young had 50 tds in the SEC as a sophomore!  But as you said, he really didn’t have any special talent that stands out. 

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess I get McCaffrey because he struggled with injuries and paying an aging RB big money isn’t great. 

but trading Moore and the #1 pick (and I think some other stuff as well) that turns into a better qb prospect is wild. 

I get your point but Young had 50 tds in the SEC as a sophomore!  But as you said, he really didn’t have any special talent that stands out. 

He had lightening-fast processing and extreme accuracy and ball placement.  Like elite levels of those things.  I am not writing him off.  That franchise is a disgrace.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ayjent said:

I think its a bit of both and i know that's what you're saying. I think good coaching and situations where the player is set up for success can make a difference in whether a guy is competent or a disaster.  Too many teams believe a good QB will solve their ills, when they neither have the ability to scout the right personnel for the position nor know how to support the position. Some other organizations now how to support the position but have too much hubris in their scouting. 

Colts are a case in point.  Anthony Richardson has incredible athleticism and the coach is a good offensive mind, but he is very limited as a passer especially intermediate routes and timing throws beyond bombs. He is also not durable so although he can run it comes at the risk of his availability.   I think and have always thought that he was valued way too high.  I think he will eventually get benched if he isnt hurt.  He just needs a lot more work in the passing game. 

Richardson is super raw  His high school team was awful he didnt do qb camps etc  Gators didnt really know what to do with him either.  Athletically he's off the charts but low floor to go with the high ceiling  .   Colts dont seem to have a plan how to utilize what he can do well right now  while brining him along  The playcalling and his receivers arent helping either  Lot of drops yesterday.  He is likely to get dinged again  Surprisingly injury prone for a 245 lber and gets down on himself in games quick.  

5 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Richardson is super raw  His high school team was awful he didnt do qb camps etc  Gators didnt really know what to do with him either.  Athletically he's off the charts but low floor to go with the high ceiling  .   Colts dont seem to have a plan how to utilize what he can do well right now  while brining him along  The playcalling and his receivers arent helping either  Lot of drops yesterday.  He is likely to get dinged again  Surprisingly injury prone for a 245 lber and gets down on himself in games quick.  

Well Richardson definitely did quarterback camps cuz I saw him at the elite 11 camps