Around the NFL Week 2

PetermansRedemption

43 minutes ago, Logic said:

Watching Josh Allen every week, you grow to expect certain plays to be made -- sacks to be evaded, throws to be made on the run, frozen ropes to be thrown to beat cover 2 zone. And then you watch other QBs and they just...don't make those plays. Allen is one of one.

Nothing like watching the rest of the league all day long to remind you how great your quarterback is and how good your team and its coach typically are.

GO BILLS!

To your point here.... 3rd and long.  It's where I personally noticed the biggest change for myself.  The other night it was 3rd and 13 and Josh threw a 32 yard pass to Ty Johnson and of course he did because that's what he does.  It is such a great yet still strange feeling.

To your coaching point, I also watch games thinking oh man McD would get killed on tbd for that call or series of outcome.  Giants scored 3 tds yesterday, gave up none and still lost.  Bengals had the Chiefs 4th and 16 and gave up the conversion on a penalty.  Ben Johnson and his amazing offensive mind scored 16 at home yesterday in a loss to the Bucs.  Ravens lost at home to Gardner Minshew.  The "terrible" Cardinals team destroyed the Rams and MHJ went off and going 1 catch for 4 yards against the Bills. The Saints scored on every drive and put up 44 against the Cowboys who were at home!

On a different note, some fun stats from the NFL through 2 weeks:

Bills have gone an NFL record 43 games without losing by more than 6 points.  6 teams did that this week.

Derek Carr and Baker Mayfield have the most passing TDs at 5, next up is Sam Darnold and Kyler Murray with 4.  Carr and Mayfield are also 1/2 in QB rating.

Top 4 qbs in completion % are Minshew, Carr, Jayden Daniels, and Geno Smith!

Ja'Marcus Ingram is tied for the NFL lead in INTS.

There are 32 PLAYERS who have more tds than the Broncos, Bears, and Panthers  TEAMS

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, section122 said:

To your point here.... 3rd and long.  It's where I personally noticed the biggest change for myself.  The other night it was 3rd and 13 and Josh threw a 32 yard pass to Ty Johnson and of course he did because that's what he does.  It is such a great yet still strange feeling.

To your coaching point, I also watch games thinking oh man McD would get killed on tbd for that call or series of outcome.  Giants scored 3 tds yesterday, gave up none and still lost.  Bengals had the Chiefs 4th and 16 and gave up the conversion on a penalty.  Ben Johnson and his amazing offensive mind scored 16 at home yesterday in a loss to the Bucs.  Ravens lost at home to Gardner Minshew.  The "terrible" Cardinals team destroyed the Rams and MHJ went off and going 1 catch for 4 yards against the Bills. The Saints scored on every drive and put up 44 against the Cowboys who were at home!

Bills have gone an NFL record 43 games without losing by more than 6 points.  6 teams did that this week.

Derek Carr and Baker Mayfield have the most passing TDs at 5, next up is Sam Darnold and Kyler Murray with 4.  Carr and Mayfield are also 1/2 in QB rating.

There are 32 PLAYERS who have more tds than the Broncos, Bears, and Panthers  TEAMS

Outstanding stuff. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, stevewin said:

This has stood out to me for the past couple years - so many QBs look so mediocre, unathletic, and not dynamic compared to Allen - it is just playing the position at a completely different level.  Even someone like Burrow (who so many in the media want to put above Allen)  - the rush comes at him and he looks like a plodding turtle playing football.

Yeah, that’s going to be Rogers’ Achilles heel (pun intended?) this year. He can still throw the ball well enough but he’s old, slow and just can’t move anymore.  If his line starts breaking down, it’s going to be ugly.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Gotta have those top 10 pick right tackles though..... 🤣

Nah, that's DPI all day. I'd be fuming if that happened to a Bills receiver and we didn't get a call. 

Yeah I probably would be too.  Its just that I see the defender stop and start jumping upwards before he makes contact. The wr backs into the DB. While the DB cant drive through the WR, he has a right to space and play the ball, the WR cant drive through him either.  Slow speed you can see this a lot easier. It's really close.  Doesnt look like it lets you adjust that here but if you watch it on twitter you can.

Edited by Scott7975

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I think Caleb Williams shares a similar problem with Bryce Young, the last two #1 picks.  Even though he's bigger than Young, they're both undersized for an NFL QB. If you draft an undersized QB & the put him behind an average or below average O-line, he isn't going to make it.  While I still don't buy that you can ruin a QB, you surely can put him on the path to a short career with a really bad O-line.  My best case that you can't ruin a QB by sending him out as a rookie with a bad O-line & no talent around him is our own Josh Allen. The 2018 Bills had what might have been the worst O-line in team history. They also had no receivers & Josh was running for his life half the time.  The fact that he made a guy like Robert Foster look like a legit NFL WR, showed that even as a rookie with bad stats, he was already elevating the players around him. Josh was just unbreakable as are most talented QBs. If they can't learn to be better by experiencing adversity, they were never destined for stardom to begin with. 

I see the Josh example but I raise you Jared Goff. He looked awful as a rookie behind a bad oline. The Ramd upgraded big style and he was a good Quarterback. But I think perfectly conceivable anothet year behind that line would have finished him. I still think there are guys who have been ruined by being hit too much their first couple of years. Josh wasn't. But there are not many Josh Allens. He almost relishes getting hit.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, section122 said:

Another narrative that has been squashed into oblivion. Many said that he was susceptible to not having his teams ready on certain game days-  saints game, jets game, colts game from his earlier years come to mind.  

couldn’t be further from the truth nowadays.  We’re one of the most well prepared teams in the league.  

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah I probably would be too.  Its just that I see the defender stop and start jumping upwards before he makes contact. The wr backs into the DB. While the DB cant drive through the WR, he has a right to space and play the ball, the WR cant drive through him either.  Slow speed you can see this a lot easier. It's really close.  Doesnt look like it lets you adjust that here but if you watch it on twitter you can.

The DB makes clear contact before the ball arrives. That is what I see even slowed down. It's DPI. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The DB makes clear contact before the ball arrives. That is what I see even slowed down. It's DPI. 

Screenshot-2024-09-16-130627.png

This is exactly where the DB stopped and set his feet. He then started his motion to jump up for the ball. You see he isnt touching the receiver here. The receivers momentum carried back into the DB.

While I am fine with the call and dont really care about it. I think its a bit more than just black and white.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Disagree 1

32 minutes ago, balln said:

IMG_2698.jpeg

Anyone who has watched a high stakes Chiefs game shouldn't be surprised by this at all. 

I don't think there's a conspiracy about it though. Intentional or not, I think it's hard to deny that the refs favor the Chiefs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, section122 said:

Talking about coaching gaffes, what the heck was Safranski thinking at the end of the game? Jacksonville was out of time outs with about 1 1/2 minutes to go and the Browns, leading by 3, throw an incomplete pass to stop the clock! Really? Either run the ball or take the sack! It gave Jacksonville an extra 40 seconds they wouldn’t have had. As it turns out the Browns got a safety, but that’s not the point. Terrible coaching.

7 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

Talking about coaching gaffes, what the heck was Safranski thinking at the end of the game? Jacksonville was out of time outs with about 1 1/2 minutes to go and the Browns, leading by 3, throw an incomplete pass to stop the clock! Really? Either run the ball or take the sack! It gave Jacksonville an extra 40 seconds they wouldn’t have had. As it turns out the Browns got a safety, but that’s not the point. Terrible coaching.

That is 2 time coach of the year Kevin Stefanski lol.

Agreed though it was such a boneheaded thing to do.  Sometimes safe and boring is the right play!

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Whoa. 

Hell play again but he has been historically bad. Carolina is a joke organization and have done him no favors but I don’t remember any wow type plays from him. It’s bad. 

Dude was a baller at Bama though. But maybe laying with all 5 star recruits doesn’t develop you for playing on a crap team in the nfl. 

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hell play again but he has been historically bad. Carolina is a joke organization and have done him no favors but I don’t remember any wow type plays from him. It’s bad. 

Dude was a baller at Bama though. But maybe laying with all 5 star recruits doesn’t develop you for playing on a crap team in the nfl. 

What was he doing with 5-star recruits?

• Haha (+1) 1