Around the NFL Week 2

PetermansRedemption

Let's see the Bills D for a few more weeks to see how teams are going to attack them. Ravens have probably the potential best running attack whereas the Texans may present more air attack with a more balanced QB than Tua.

On offense, though, I think the focus so far is on running attack where they featured more bigger WRs and TEs from snap perspective. Explosive passing seemed to be something that is lacking - they tried with MVS, but no fruits for now. That is an area (with no known quality at the beginning of the season) they need to figure out, not necessarily to be a strength but a tool that is functional. I can see a team like the Jets go with man outside and crowd the middle to stop the run and short passing game to give the Bills offense a bigger challenge. Hopefully someone will step up with the progression of the season, e.g. Coleman winning more one-on-one outside.   

Sounds like Pacheco broke his leg. Will probably miss a couple months.

I think that is actually a pretty big loss for the Chiefs. He’s one of the most consistent backs in the league, and won’t be easily replaced. With the Ravens wavering and KC injuries, #1 seed is looking up for grabs.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

While largely I agree I do think you can "ruin" a young QB is they are getting hit a lot and early. Because QBs lowering their eyes to the rush is a real thing. And once a QB gets there they are in trouble and it takes a lot of rebuilding to ever bring them back. It happened to Darnold in New York. If the Bears are not careful it will happen to Caleb - although he can help himself by getting the damn ball out.

I think Caleb Williams shares a similar problem with Bryce Young, the last two #1 picks.  Even though he's bigger than Young, they're both undersized for an NFL QB. If you draft an undersized QB & the put him behind an average or below average O-line, he isn't going to make it.  While I still don't buy that you can ruin a QB, you surely can put him on the path to a short career with a really bad O-line.  My best case that you can't ruin a QB by sending him out as a rookie with a bad O-line & no talent around him is our own Josh Allen. The 2018 Bills had what might have been the worst O-line in team history. They also had no receivers & Josh was running for his life half the time.  The fact that he made a guy like Robert Foster look like a legit NFL WR, showed that even as a rookie with bad stats, he was already elevating the players around him. Josh was just unbreakable as are most talented QBs. If they can't learn to be better by experiencing adversity, they were never destined for stardom to begin with. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, balln said:

Only thing that truly scares me are injuries. Our D is down 4-5 starters. Two all pros. 

Possibly 3 , Bernard put up all pro #s last year

But I agree, if injuries don't get completely out of control, I feel the Bills control their own destiny 

Edited by JerseyBills

2 hours ago, PoundingDog said:

Let's see the Bills D for a few more weeks to see how teams are going to attack them. Ravens have probably the potential best running attack whereas the Texans may present more air attack with a more balanced QB than Tua.

On offense, though, I think the focus so far is on running attack where they featured more bigger WRs and TEs from snap perspective. Explosive passing seemed to be something that is lacking - they tried with MVS, but no fruits for now. That is an area (with no known quality at the beginning of the season) they need to figure out, not necessarily to be a strength but a tool that is functional. I can see a team like the Jets go with man outside and crowd the middle to stop the run and short passing game to give the Bills offense a bigger challenge. Hopefully someone will step up with the progression of the season, e.g. Coleman winning more one-on-one outside.   

I dunno.

You try those deep shots to take advantage of teams playing man deep, but they are usually not a high percentage play... fun to watch though.

I think teams already play a lot of man vs us and will continue to do what they have been doing and take the risk of keeping at least one of their safeties in the box for run support and such and playing man on one side of the field.

That leaves MVS with his speed and Coleman with his compete at the catch point as your go-to guys for those shots. Some of those will pan out, but I don't see that forcing teams out of that coverage.

The way teams are playing us should open the middle and space for our pass catching  RBs, not to mention mesh concepts that will be effective against those crowded boxes when they are trying to match up down low.

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PoundingDog said:

I think teams are daring the Bills to run so far (similar to how teams play KC), and the Bills are happy to oblige them. If/when teams focus on stopping the run then we’ll get more explosive plays.

• Like (+1) 1

I watched a ton of football yesterday. 

I watched Red Zone in the early window, Chiefs-Bengals, then Bears-Texans. There's nothing quite like a relaxing Sunday of football when your team has already won and are 2-0.

My takeaway from watching so much football was this: The Bills -- and specifically Josh Allen -- are really friggin good. During the drought years, I used to watch other games and think "this looks like a completely different sport than what the Bills play", but the feeling was that those other teams were so much better and more productive and more advanced. We looked like a JV squad comparatively.

Now I watch other games around the league and I think "this looks like a completely different sport than what the Bills play", but I mean it in reverse! The BILLS are the ones who look to be playing the sport on another level, and most of the other teams look like JV squads. In particular, it highlights just how amazing OUR quarterback is, and how almost no other quarterbacks (save for Kermit) can hold a candle to him. Watching Josh Allen every week, you grow to expect certain plays to be made -- sacks to be evaded, throws to be made on the run, frozen ropes to be thrown to beat cover 2 zone. And then you watch other QBs and they just...don't make those plays. Allen is one of one.

Nothing like watching the rest of the league all day long to remind you how great your quarterback is and how good your team and its coach typically are.

GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I think teams are daring the Bills to run so far (similar to how teams play KC), and the Bills are happy to oblige them. If/when teams focus on stopping the run then we’ll get more explosive plays.

To me, that’s a dumb strategy. I would want to test what the Bills vertical passing game can do with the new receivers. Are defenses really that worried about MVS getting behind them? I would be crowding the LOS, pressuring heavily, single high, and taking everything short away. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

I watched a ton of football yesterday. 

I watched Red Zone in the early window, Chiefs-Bengals, then Bears-Texans. There's nothing quite like a relaxing Sunday of football when your team has already won and are 2-0.

couldn't agree more...it was nice to watch Redzone with no stress.  Games were quite exciting too. 

Stroud, Darnold and Mayfield looked good.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

To me, that’s a dumb strategy. I would want to test what the Bills vertical passing game can do with the new receivers. Are defenses really that worried about MVS getting behind them? I would be crowding the LOS, pressuring heavily, single high, and taking everything short away. 

I think they are just worried about Allen regardless of weapons. Better to try their luck against James Cook, lol.

Also historically Allen is turnover-prone, so if you make the Bills dink and dunk down the field maybe he’ll cough it up. Mahomes had 2 picks yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1

Exactly Miyagi. It's a brand new year and people are not sure what to make of this Bills team yet. It's no surprise that teams are kind of using prior years' strategies. But I expect that to change soon, right around game 3 or so. Challenging the Bills to throw deep or 1 on 1 outside is likely more to come. Already teams are bracketing Kincaid in the middle ... 

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

Sounds like Pacheco broke his leg. Will probably miss a couple months.

I think that is actually a pretty big loss for the Chiefs. He’s one of the most consistent backs in the league, and won’t be easily replaced. With the Ravens wavering and KC injuries, #1 seed is looking up for grabs.

Getting the #1 seed should be the new "winning the division" for the Bills. That is, their #1 goal year in and year out. 

44 minutes ago, Logic said:

In particular, it highlights just how amazing OUR quarterback is, and how almost no other quarterbacks (save for Kermit) can hold a candle to him. Watching Josh Allen every week, you grow to expect certain plays to be made -- sacks to be evaded, throws to be made on the run, frozen ropes to be thrown to beat cover 2 zone. And then you watch other QBs and they just...don't make those plays. Allen is one of one.

This has stood out to me for the past couple years - so many QBs look so mediocre, unathletic, and not dynamic compared to Allen - it is just playing the position at a completely different level.  Even someone like Burrow (who so many in the media want to put above Allen)  - the rush comes at him and he looks like a plodding turtle playing football.

• Like (+1) 2