Around the NFL Week 2

PetermansRedemption

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Just about every QB who people say was ruined didn't have the ability to be an NFL QB and fans just don't want to admit their team is no good at scouting QBs. Now a QB may end up on a team that stunted their growth, but they didn't ruin him. The best example from current players is Baker, who played for two of the worst teams for a QB. He wasn't ruined, just had a temporary roadblock.  Look at a guy like Josh Rosen. Anyone who says he was ruined should never be allowed to watch another NFL game. We didn't ruin EJ or JP.  They were picked by lousy GMs and bad scouts.

While largely I agree I do think you can "ruin" a young QB is they are getting hit a lot and early. Because QBs lowering their eyes to the rush is a real thing. And once a QB gets there they are in trouble and it takes a lot of rebuilding to ever bring them back. It happened to Darnold in New York. If the Bears are not careful it will happen to Caleb - although he can help himself by getting the damn ball out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

He's really creative. He's be really good with Josh Allen. Too bad it's not going to happen. 

He is although he is still, at heart, a Shanahan offense guy and I've never been persuaded that offense is a natural fit for Josh. It's way too paint by numbers. I think Josh needs more of the freedom created by the E-P or spread branch of the WCO. But as I said the other day if Mike McDaniel ends up out of work and I needed an OC I'd consider him because of his creativity and maybe Kubiak is in that same bucket. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

YEs, he can still throw the rock.  Looks like the Jets will be the main competition for the Bills on the divisional title race.  He isn't Josh in terms of a running threat, but, he is absolutely dropping it on a dime to the receivers.

Looks really old to me and he scrambles like Johnny U, haven't seen that in 60 years

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To be clear again, everyone, we’ve beaten the chiefs before.  Repeatedly in their own barn.  We were one injury riddled game away from taking the lead this decade.

We have yet to beat the Bengals.

I’m fine with the Bengals losing.  Yes, they normally start slow.  However, here’s hoping the trend of losses continues.

sick of hearing about those guys. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Who was the last QB from USC to be a stud in the NFL? Carson Palmer? 

food for thought

Darnold lives!!!!! joking aside, he's making plays with the Vikes, though I didn't watch the entire game against the 49ers. The Vikes are 2-0 with him, maybe he's a late bloomer....

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While largely I agree I do think you can "ruin" a young QB is they are getting hit a lot and early. Because QBs lowering their eyes to the rush is a real thing. And once a QB gets there they are in trouble and it takes a lot of rebuilding to ever bring them back. It happened to Darnold in New York. If the Bears are not careful it will happen to Caleb - although he can help himself by getting the damn ball 

I think its a bit of both and i know that's what you're saying. I think good coaching and situations where the player is set up for success can make a difference in whether a guy is competent or a disaster.  Too many teams believe a good QB will solve their ills, when they neither have the ability to scout the right personnel for the position nor know how to support the position. Some other organizations now how to support the position but have too much hubris in their scouting. 

Colts are a case in point.  Anthony Richardson has incredible athleticism and the coach is a good offensive mind, but he is very limited as a passer especially intermediate routes and timing throws beyond bombs. He is also not durable so although he can run it comes at the risk of his availability.   I think and have always thought that he was valued way too high.  I think he will eventually get benched if he isnt hurt.  He just needs a lot more work in the passing game. 

Finally back! 

Bills are 1 of, possibly the best team. 

Cardinals will end up being one of the best teams we faced all year. 

Chiefs/Ravens/Jets are super mid, this seems like the year Allen separates himself from Mahomes/Lamar

Our OL is Elite

DL on the cusp of elite 

And I'm still optimistic about our WR room , We quietly got better! 

Go Bills. Missed yall ,2 week ban👀

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Stads said:

Other than the Chiefs, no one really scares me so far in the AFC. Kermit and the criminal seem to have developed a good connection so far. I bet Rashee will magically have the "legal process" play out for the entirety of the regular season so there is no chance of any discipline this year

Even they don't scare me at this very early stage and if Pacheco is seriously hurt, was in walking boot and crutches, that's a massive blow for them

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Even they don't scare me at this very early stage and if Pacheco is seriously hurt, was in walking boot and crutches, that's a massive blow for them

Only thing that truly scares me are injuries. Our D is down 4-5 starters. Two all pros. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

I think its a bit of both and i know that's what you're saying. I think good coaching and situations where the player is set up for success can make a difference in whether a guy is competent or a disaster.  Too many teams believe a good QB will solve their ills, when they neither have the ability to scout the right personnel for the position nor know how to support the position. Some other organizations now how to support the position but have too much hubris in their scouting. 

Colts are a case in point.  Anthony Richardson has incredible athleticism and the coach is a good offensive mind, but he is very limited as a passer especially intermediate routes and timing throws beyond bombs. He is also not durable so although he can run it comes at the risk of his availability.   I think and have always thought that he was valued way too high.  I think he will eventually get benched if he isnt hurt.  He just needs a lot more work in the passing game. 

I agree, Richardson was nowhere near a top 10 talent IMO. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Finally back! 

Chiefs/Ravens/Jets are super mid, this seems like the year Allen separates himself from Mahomes/Lamar

Our OL is Elite

DL on the cusp of elite 

You may turn out to be right, but "Chiefs/Ravens/Jets" super mid? 

KC may fall a peg, same with the Ratbirds, but they won't go away quietly. Long way to go.

Bills looked "mid" last year until a late season run gave us hope. Just saying....

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Gotta have those top 10 pick right tackles though..... 🤣

Nah, that's DPI all day. I'd be fuming if that happened to a Bills receiver and we didn't get a call. 

Totally DPI. Not debatable.

1 hour ago, Fixxxer said:

Darnold lives!!!!! joking aside, he's making plays with the Vikes, though I didn't watch the entire game against the 49ers. The Vikes are 2-0 with him, maybe he's a late bloomer....

He has been saddled with really bad teams. He is not a bad player.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Finally back! 

Our OL is Elite

DL on the cusp of elite 

The Chiefs are the best team in the league.

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Years drafting and developing good cover CBs, smaller quicker LBs, and pass rushing DTs - plus 2 high safeties…..

Teams have moved to 12 personnel, physical olines, and improving the run game.  

The 38-34 type games can be entertaining, but lousy defense & lucky PI on defenders on under thrown balls gets annoying.