Mcdermott going for it on 4th and 3

86poker

3 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Lol, patently wrong, eh!?  You are the arbiter of these things?  No way--I have read your posts over the years!

McDermott is an excellent coach, but has been too defensive, not willing to take (good, calculated) chances enough as a head coach, plays it safe too much in big moments.  Not necessarily in going for it on 4th downs anymore, but in general. Has played it too close to the vest.  But he has learned, I believe he is cognizant of this weakness and is getting over it. Clearly so.

Kind of a 'duh' statement by me, that he has been too conservative overall,  and  one most would agree with, even those, like me, who hope he is the Bills' head coach for years to come.

Best coach and staff in the NFL in fostering the potential in players, and in coaches, and in making sure back ups are almost as ready as the starters. Now, becoming more aggressive, less concerned about losing than in winning and dominating.

The facts do not back up your assertions, McD is near the top of the aggression list and near the top of the "correct" 4th down decision percentage every year based on analytics.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-scores-high-on-aggressiveness-index/article_c1fce132-ffe3-11ed-af6b-67b78cfb61c7.html

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The facts do not back up your assertions, McD is near the top of the aggression list and near the top of the "correct" 4th down decision percentage every year based on analytics.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-scores-high-on-aggressiveness-index/article_c1fce132-ffe3-11ed-af6b-67b78cfb61c7.html

I think you need to re-read my 2 posts and stop being such an attacking, reactionary person on this board, lambasting and name calling as you so often do...

You are definitely not one who should claim to have all the answers, but, instead,  the one with the childish insults and over the top, hyperbolic statements over and over...

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Likely- but I’ll take Josh Allen making a 3 yard play over Bass making a kick any day

I'm not a stats guy. I do know 4th and 1 is much easier to make than 2 and 3 and do on. 

What does analytics say? 

I totally get going for it. I didn't hate going for it. I just was leaning towards kicking it. 

9 hours ago, 86poker said:

This is not normal for him.

Why did he go for it in this spot.  He usually would just lay it up for 3, especially after getting stuffed on 3rd and 2

Hopefully we see this aggressiveness and confidence all season long

My guess it was very early and he expected a track meet where to win, may need to score 30+ points.  So went for it.

9 hours ago, Mynamemike said:

Yes he has.  Offensively he’s almost always been aggressive.  We blitz a lot more on defense than people realize too.  

Coach gets a bad rap imo for being a super conservative because he’s a defensive coach.  He’s always been willing to go for it and put the game in his players hands if he trust them.  

Until the EFFING PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!

Then he puckers tight enough to turn coal into diamonds.

A leopard can’t change his spots.🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, Mynamemike said:

Yes he has.  Offensively he’s almost always been aggressive.  We blitz a lot more on defense than people realize too.  

Coach gets a bad rap imo for being a super conservative because he’s a defensive coach.  He’s always been willing to go for it and put the game in his players hands if he trust them.  

Right. I think he’s learned this one throughout the years. Also has the personal. That’s a game management / HC responsibility he gets correct. 

Bottom 5 in 4th down attempts last 3 of the last 4 years

I'm sorry but you're completely wrong.

We have been bottom 5 in the league at going for it on 4th down, 3 of the last 4 years.  

Fake news 

This is not normal for him.

Why did he go for it in this spot.  He usually would just lay it up for 3, especially after getting stuffed on 3rd and 2

Hopefully we see this aggressiveness and confidence all season long

The “Sean McDermott is conservative” narrative is a bit of myth.  He’s not the most aggressive coach on 4th down but is probably above average.  

In my opinion, they went for the 1st down because Miami’s offense has the potential to put points on the board and he wanted to give his team a chance to win.

10 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Come playoff time his results, game planning, and preparation is average at best. He's been consistently out coached in the playoffs. 

It's one of my least favorite things about him. 

Well let's hope he figures it out because he's the Bills HC for life. Same at GM with Beane.

9 hours ago, MJS said:

You're wrong. McDermott goes for it all the time. He is one of the most aggressive coaches. He usually follows the analytics. He is not a conservative coach at all.

All of these narratives are just wrong. They are made up by critics.

Just pointing out that there are different narratives out there around his conservatism vs. aggression in different situations. He’s definitely aggressive in going for it on 4th, I agree with that. And I love it.

I am personally highly critical of a different aspect of his offensive game management late in games though when the Bills have a lead, which is a different thing. He had a tendency to try to sit on small leads and run clock with run plays rather than allowing the normal offense to run, putting it in Josh’s hands and letting him throw for the dagger to ice games. Saw it again vs AZ, so I don’t think he’s going to change on that particular game management philosophy unfortunately.

• Disagree 1

10 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

I think McDermott is more aggressive than most give him credit for.

The cautious nature of 4th down decision making in this game (linked below) hangs over him I think.  First game that came to kind for me when reading this thread.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/bills-sean-mcdermott-field-goal/l1j3k25bn9h1swiudy3o30yw

Thanks for posting this, I feel that McDermott played conservative and a lot of field position in his early years and over time began loosening up.   But I felt like after this loss he really opened up his fourth down decision-making to what it is today.  Continuous improvement.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Sadly I agree. How do you think he figures it out? Not trying to be a jerk here. His defensive scheme seems to be a good regular season recipe. It's great at stopping limited QBs like Tua and Murray. He's got no answer to stop Mahomes and Burrow. I suspect neither are going anywhere. 

You and I can cry in each other's beer when we make the playoffs every year.

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

May I kindly remind you that making the playoffs isn't the ultimate goal of the team. Especially when you have a healthy #17. 

You don't get a shot at the Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2