Congratulations to Sean McDermott - 75 regular season wins and ties Bill Belichick win %

Einstein

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Andy Reid’s first Super Bowl win was like 20 years into his head coaching career lol his prior team gave up on him after one bad season where he was missing one of the best offensive tackles in the league and his starting qb for a big chunk of the season.  Reid is literally evidence for why McDermott should have a longer leash not shorter imo, eagles gave up on him far too soon. 

Steelers have an absolute stud that can take over a game, he’s just on defense which nobody cares about for some reason.  An average coach would have that team going .500 without that much trouble. And when that guy is out, they almost always lose.  I’d argue Reid is a great example of why you shouldn’t give up on a perennially good coach too soon, and Tomlin is a great example of why you shouldn’t keep a coach too long just because he won a superbowl years ago 

Reid also made it to a Super Bowl early on in his coaching career with McNabb (who was a bum elsewhere and who is not comparable to Allen) which earned him the nickname "QB whisperer" and made multiple NFC championship games prior to that. His first 6 seasons were arguably better than McDermotts first 6 seasons (more NFC title game visits compared to Bills AFC title game visits  and a super bowl trip) Eagles made it to something like three straight NFC championship games before losing to the Patriots in the Super Bowl. McDermott has sniffed an AFC title game once and no Super Bowl in that time. So Reid at least proved he could get a team to the big show. McDermott has not. 

If we had been to three straight AFC title games and lost to the Rams in the Super Bowl in 2021 or Eagles in 2022, I'd be more forgiving. We cannot even get past the divisional round consistently. 

Edited by ProcessImproverMan

2 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Forgetting one key name there....Andy Reid....Allen is basically on Mahomes level (has broken records Mahomes hasn't) so we should have a ring by now. Reid would have gotten us a ring by now. Let's hold him up to the gold standard. 

And if McDermott had gotten us one by now ....id be more forgiving. Tomlin at least got to two super bowls and got a ring. He deserves his long leash as he has proven he can get it done. Tomlin is better imo as a coach. Dude frequently makes cake out of ***** with what his GM gives him as a QB. Allen with the Steelers is a super bowl team. 

I think this is true.  I also think Reid (and injuries) is the reason we don't have a Lombardi yet.  McD would have gotten by a lesser HC.  

If I could ditch McD for Reid, I would.  But we can't.

And, btw, I don't think Beane has given the very best roster to work with.   And, realistically, if Beane hasn't built the best roster in the AFC, why do we expect McD to earn a trip to the SB?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I think Belichick's biggest master stroke in that Super Bowl was having his players fake injury to slow down the no-huddle offense.

The bolded is somewhat true. It's not the entire fanbase but a higher percentage than it should be.

Those people are a grim, joyless group.

It makes you wonder about their lives.

And BB was a genius to do that just like he was in telling the Patriot defenders to mug Colts receivers every play knowing the refs won't throw a flag every play. Dirty play but hey....he got the rings and those aren't taken away from them. League changed the rule the next year due to Polians lobbying but the Patriots got their rings. 

McDermott should have told every Bills defender to drag every Chiefs receiver down at the line in the 13 seconds game. Kills clock and force Chiefs into a hail Mary. It would have been dirty but I don't give a crap. Just give us a Super Bowl win anyway possible.

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think this is true.  I also think Reid (and injuries) is the reason we don't have a Lombardi yet.  McD would have gotten by a lesser HC.  

And, btw, I don't think Beane has given the very best roster to work with.   And, realistically, if Beane hasn't built the best roster in the AFC, why do we expect McD to earn a trip to the SB?

I agree Beane hasn't done the best job but McDermott has influence there. We have passed up a lot of offensive talent to get bums like Elam and Boogie Basham who didn't do anything for us in key playoff games. McDermott is a defensive guy and has influence on why we draft so many defenders. 

I wanted DK Metcalf over Oliver and wanted Jefferson over Diggs (as an LSU fan). Imagine if we had done that what this offense would have looked like with Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Reid also made it to a Super Bowl early on in his coaching career with McNabb (who was a bum elsewhere and who is not comparable to Allen) which earned him the nickname "QB whisperer" and made multiple NFC championship games prior to that. His first 6 seasons were arguably better than McDermotts first 6 seasons (more NFC title game visits compared to Bills AFC title game visits  and a super bowl trip) Eagles made it to something like three straight NFC championship games before losing to the Patriots in the Super Bowl. McDermott has sniffed an AFC title game once and no Super Bowl in that time. So Reid at least proved he could get a team to the big show. McDermott has not. 

If we had been to three straight AFC title games and lost to the Rams in the Super Bowl in 2021 or Eagles in 2022, I'd be more forgiving. We cannot even get past the divisional round consistently. 

McNabb was not a bum lol

He might not be off Hall of famer but he's far from a bum 

In the 2000s decade, he literally had the third most passing yards and fourth most touchdowns behind only Hall of famers 

I think he was second in rushing touchdowns for quarterbacks and 4th in wins behind only Brady Manning and favre 

The dude is far from a bum and there are worse quarterbacks to win super bowls

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

McNabb was not a bum lol

He might not be off Hall of famer but he's far from a bum 

In the 2000s decade, he literally had the third most passing yards and fourth most touchdowns behind only Hall of famers 

I think he was second in rushing touchdowns for quarterbacks and 4th in wins behind only Brady Manning and favre 

The dude is far from a bum and there are worse quarterbacks to win super bowls

Agreed he's not a bum.

But he was absolutely one of the biggest choke artists under pressure I have ever seen in my life.

The fact that Reid won that many playoff games with a guy that couldn't handle pressure and was scared of his own shadow is impressive, imo.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Agreed he's not a bum.

But he was absolutely one of the biggest choke artists under pressure I have ever seen in my life.

Unfortunately most NFL quarterbacks don't shine brightly under the brightest lights 

It's probably a small group of three to five guys that really shine when the lights are bright and the pressure is on

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Aren’t many of them in the AFC playoffs, unfortunately for McD and the Bills …..

6 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

The McDermott crow is the hardest to take. 

If you think people have to eat crow over McD’s regular season results you haven’t been paying attention. He’s an elite regular season coach. Nobody has ever disputed that. He has historically poor playoff results relative to his regular season success. It’s been talked about all offseason. I will line up for endless refills of crow with a smile on my face if he proves that narrative wrong 

4 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

You have to do well in the regular season to have a shot at the SB.  A fact that might elude some. 

And you have to get past the divisional round to have a shot at the Super Bowl 

7 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think it's much more that the Bills have no comparable player to Chris Jones like the Chiefs have who is essentially the defensive version of Mahomes on their team.

You need a big play late in clutch time? Jones is there. Even in today's game when the chips were down and they needed a stop he destroyed a screen play and then the next play causes Burrow to run for his life and he gets hit, fumbles and ball is returned for a TD.

In the playoffs, Jones has been responsible for multiple saved TDs late in games that would have given the other teams the lead (including against us last year).

Bills have nobody like this on D(perhaps Von of healthy). If we did, Allen would have won a SB already.

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

If you think people have to eat crow over McD’s regular season results you haven’t been paying attention. He’s an elite regular season coach. Nobody has ever disputed that. He has historically poor playoff results relative to his regular season success. It’s been talked about all offseason. I will line up for endless refills of crow with a smile on my face if he proves that narrative wrong 

And then you have to win the SB.  Which means 31 coaches each year suck. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I think it's much more that the Bills have no comparable player to Chris Jones like the Chiefs have who is essentially the defensive version of Mahomes on their team.

You need a big play late in clutch time? Jones is there. Even in today's game when the chips were down and they needed a stop he destroyed a screen play and then the next play causes Burrow to run for his life and he gets hit, fumbles and ball is returned for a TD.

In the playoffs, Jones has been responsible for multiple saved TDs late in games that would have given the other teams the lead (including against us last year).

Bills have nobody like this on D(perhaps Von of healthy). If we did, Allen would have won a SB already.

The Chiefs and the Pats have had the best dynasties since Free Agency began.

The Pats dynasty was all about Belichick and Brady.  There were other talented folks in the organization but the lethal combination of those two put the Pats at another level.

What sets the Chiefs apart is that they are strong at three critical places:  HC/OC, DC, and QB.   

But obviously there's more talent in KC than just that.  Chris Jones, for example.  And when Butker won the game today with a 51 yard FG, I also started wondering how our fates may have been different if we had Butker for a kicker and they had Bass.  

The Bills have had the bad luck of becoming good right after KC became great.  

3 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

It's not even about the divisional round anymore.  It's about getting by Reid & Mahomes. If you can't do that in the playoffs,  everything else is moot. And we don't have the luxury to wait around 20 years for McDermott to win his first SB.  Josh will be long retired by then. Andy owns Sean, hell he even fired Sean.  If you want to give him a mini Lombardi for dominating the regular season than "crown his ass".  

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

The Chiefs and the Pats have had the best dynasties since Free Agency began.

The Pats dynasty was all about Belichick and Brady.  There were other talented folks in the organization but the lethal combination of those two put the Pats at another level.

What sets the Chiefs apart is that they are strong at three critical places:  HC/OC, DC, and QB.   

But obviously there's more talent in KC than just that.  Chris Jones, for example.  And when Butker won the game today with a 51 yard FG, I also started wondering how our fates may have been different if we had Butker for a kicker and they had Bass.  

The Bills have had the bad luck of becoming good right after KC became great.  

Give Josh the following:

Andy, Spags, Jones, Kelce, Hill and Butker.  He would easily have won at least 2 SB's. Josh's support system including coaches & players has been a fraction of what Patrick has.

On 9/15/2024 at 11:26 AM, ProcessImproverMan said:

One has multiple rings and coached defenses that repeatedly shut down MVP caliber QBs in the playoffs. The other hasn't.

McDermott gets a ring this year and then we can start comparing (unless Allen completely implodes). He's got the MVP caliber QB. Belichick won a super bowl with Troy Brown, a receiver, playing CB and most of his secondary out. Injuries are no excuse. Just win. 

Yet again, that Troy Brown New England team was extremely healthy outside of CB. Rudely healthy, actually. "Most of the secondary out?" Yeah, except for the safeties, who were healthy all year. Eugene Wilson played all year except Week 16 and then played all three playoff games and Rodney Harrison played all sixteen regular season games and all three playoff games as well.

CB Asante Samuel missed two games but then came back to play the rest of the season and all three playoff games and CB Randall Gay missed one game but played all three playoff games as well. They did lose two CBs but other than that were pretty much unscathed.

And while putting Troy there wasn't stupid, it wasn't a mark of genius or anything. They put their emergency CB on the field when they had to, and they found out he could play pretty well. That's not genius. It's finding out that you had the right guy in place.

The Troy Brown story is great, but the great part of it was Troy Brown, not Belichick. They had a hole and Brown did a good job when they put him there. That's not brilliant coaching. It's good play from a guy who was playing at a position he had very little experience at, impressive performance by a fine player.

The idea that large numbers of injuries don't keep some teams away from titles is only obvious. It's factual.

You're right about this much, McDermott certainly shouldn't be compared to Belichick at this point in terms of greatness. It's cool that he's hit that number, but it doesn't mean much beyond the fact that he's a very good coach, which we knew already. He's no Belichick, nor really is anyone else.  But the rest of your post here is just dumb.

15 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Reid did make it to the SB in his sixth year. Which is a fine accomplishment.

But some of that was luck in playoff opponents. In the NFC playoffs that year, Philly got the 8-8 Vikings and the 11-5 Falcons who were the 20th best offense and the 19th best defense. Mike Vick made the Falcs a wildly entertaining team but they weren't a great team.

There was nobody remotely like the recent Chiefs in the Eagles way to that Super Bowl. 

But the 2002 Eagles beat the Falcons again and lost badly to the Bucs in the Conf. championship, the 2001 Eagles beat the 9-7 Bucs, and the Dick Jauron version of the Bears before losing to the Rams. In 2003 they beat the pretty good Packers, their best playoff win back then but then lost to the Jake Delhomme Panthers, a team that was decent but certainly not great.

Reid was lucky enough not to run into any very good teams in the playoffs back then. Though again, the 2003 Pack was a good win though that was not Green Bay's best year at all.

Reid was a quarterback whisperer, and McDermott is the same on defense.

Fair enough, though, that Reid also is someone McDermott should not yet be compared to. Running this KC juggernaut has proved him one of the absolute top few.

It has also proved him a very good argument for keeping McDermott. Reid looked like he might never win a Lombardi. 

Until he did.

Edited by Thurman#1