Congratulations to Sean McDermott - 75 regular season wins and ties Bill Belichick win %

Einstein

10 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

One has multiple rings and coached defenses that repeatedly shut down MVP caliber QBs in the playoffs. The other hasn't.

McDermott gets a ring this year and then we can start comparing (unless Allen completely implodes). He's got the MVP caliber QB. Belichick won a super bowl with Troy Brown, a receiver, playing CB and most of his secondary out. Injuries are no excuse. Just win. 

But of course, there is this:

Belichick's 83-101 (. 451) record without Brady is shockingly one of the worst in NFL history. His last season with the Patriots, they finished 4-13 and dead last in the AFC East, which led to his being fired.Apr 17, 2024

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Belichek is over-rated.  Without Brady, I don't even think he is .500 lifetime.  McDermott has a long future in front of him, and could end up the better coach in the end!

You’re gonna need a bigger wand. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

But of course, there is this:

Belichick's 83-101 (. 451) record without Brady is shockingly one of the worst in NFL history. His last season with the Patriots, they finished 4-13 and dead last in the AFC East, which led to his being fired.Apr 17, 2024

Let's look at McDermott without Allen. 9-8 in 2017 (post season loss included where we failed to score a single TD) which included many blowout losses in the middle of the season. 6-10 in 2018 before Allen went off and became a pro bowl caliber QB in 2019. Some of those games Allen didn't play due to an arm injury (Colts, Patriots, Bears games) where we got beat pretty bad. Nathan Peterman largely played the Ravens game (McDermott factually chose Peterman to play so gets the blame there) so 0-4 without Allen in 2018. So McDermott was a career loser 9-12 without Allen in 2017 and 2018 and Allen's rookie year (before he went off thanks to mentoring received by Dabol and Palmer ) overall was a 6-10 season so 15-18 in two years without pro bowl caliber Allen. So McDermott is also a career loser without all star QB play. 

Let's look at Belichick in context. Many of those losing seasons were with Cleveland which was a dumpster fire in the early 90s when Kosar became washed up and team lost a lot of key people. He got them to the playoffs by 94 (and won a game) after a few rocky seasons where rebuilding was much more difficult due to no real free agency until the 93 season. Teams were less likely to turn it around in one year due to no free agency. Belichick got a playoff win against Parcels Patriots in 94 with the Browns without a pro bowl caliber QB. McDermott has yet to win a playoff game without an all star QB. Those are facts. 

Without Brady in New England, he went like 5-11 in 2000 when he took over a rebuilding project. Within one year (2001), he got a super bowl largely on defensive coaching and Brady playing game manager. Brady didn't really throw many TDS at all during the playoffs and much of the 2001 season. The defense is what was key in those wins. Allens 2001 playoff run crushes what Brady did then but Allen did not have great defensive play backing him up. Belichick  went 11-5 with Matt Cassel in 2008. Cassel was a bum everywhere else he was. He led Mac Jones to a playoff appearance in 2021 who has been a bum since (so coaching maxed out potential there). Brady basically game managed his way to a super bowl win his last super bowl with the Patriots as Belichicks defense crushed what was an amazing Rams defense that year, 13-3. 

New England has been bad the past couple years but they also were in cap hell for a while, which is why Brady left. They kicked the can down the road so long to get all those Super Bowls with Brady that eventually the bill came due. Not having high picks for years and not much money until this year caused issues. Despite that, the Patriots did beat us last year despite not having an all star QB.......that should have never happened but McDermotts defense could not stop offensive powerhouse Jones and the gang on the final drive ...

Allen has outplayed what Brady did multiple post seasons but was harmed by a lesser quality defense despite all the investments made into it. Belichicks defenses got Brady arguably 2-3 rings (both Rams games and the Eagles game where McNabb and Owens were largely shutdown). 

Edited by ProcessImproverMan
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

Regular season wins are cute. 

I’m looking for beautiful. Breath-taking. 

Bill Belichick and Sean McDermott are white men who’ve coached in the NFL. 

That’s where their similarities end. 

I’m curious how the pats dynasty would’ve fared if they overlapped with the prime mahomes/reid chiefs for longer.  

• Like (+1) 1

It was a frigid morning in early January, 2017, when a traveler from the future appeared before me, his presence both unsettling and intriguing.  In a clear, certain voice, he revealed to me that the Pegulas were on the verge of hiring Sean McDermott as our new Head Coach.  

“Mark my words,” he said, “McDermott will transform this team into a perennial contender, a force in the league.  But also know this: they will not reach the Super Bowl by 2024 and perhaps never will.”

The strange traveler took a sip of Labatt's Blue and offered me a choice. “If you want, I can prevent the Pegulas from hiring him,” he said, his eyes narrowing.

"What will happen in that scenario?" I wondered.  

"I have no idea.  That's not how it played out in my timeline.  We'll have to see."

He looked down at Labatt's bottle for a moment before returning his gaze to me.  "The decisions lies with you."

So that was my choice.  The certainty of lots of wins but no Lombardi or the possibility of the the soul crushing drought continuing interminably. 

You know what I picked and I have no regrets.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

12 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Nah, thinking a future HOF coach with multiple rings is equivalent to McDermott is pure homerism. Belichick's game plan for beating us in the Super Bowl i believe is in the HOF. 

The goal is to win the super bowl and despite having an elite QB break post season records, McDermott could not get it done. Brady had Belichick coached defenses lead him to a Super Bowl win multiple times when Brady did much less on the field than Allen in some postseason games. 

What is ‘could not get it done’ lol did the guy retire and I missed it?  Heck hall of fame, commonly referred to as one of the greatest coaches of all time don Shula won 2 Superbowls in 32 years.  If mcd wins one in the next like 8 years he matches that pace 🤣

current head coaches that are always talked about highly, John Harbaugh has 1 in 16 years , Kyle Shanahan has 0, Mike Tomlin has 1 as a head coach in 16 years (had one as an assistant), mcvay has 1 in 7 years but it looks like his team is no longer in the top NFC tier so I expect him to be stuck at one for a John harbaugh length of time lol  then you’ve got guys like Payton who people have soured on that is also stuck at 1 for a long time. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McDermott is a fine coach.  But IMO ultimately everyone is judged on their postseason record.  I'd rather win than lose in the regular season, and you can't make the playoffs without doing well in the regular season.  But let me know when one of McDermott's game plans goes to Canton (to join Bellichick's from Super Bowl XXV).  13 seconds is approximately the inverse of that.  I don't hate the man, I hope he takes the Bills to the promised land asap, I'm just being realistic.

21 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

What is ‘could not get it done’ lol did the guy retire and I missed it?  Heck hall of fame, commonly referred to as one of the greatest coaches of all time don Shula won 2 Superbowls in 32 years.  If mcd wins one in the next like 8 years he matches that pace 🤣

current head coaches that are always talked about highly, John Harbaugh has 1 in 16 years , Kyle Shanahan has 0, Mike Tomlin has 1 as a head coach in 16 years (had one as an assistant), mcvay has 1 in 7 years but it looks like his team is no longer in the top NFC tier so I expect him to be stuck at one for a John harbaugh length of time lol  then you’ve got guys like Payton who people have soured on that is also stuck at 1 for a long time. 

Forgetting one key name there....Andy Reid....Allen is basically on Mahomes level (has broken records Mahomes hasn't) so we should have a ring by now. Reid would have gotten us a ring by now. Let's hold him up to the gold standard. 

And if McDermott had gotten us one by now ....id be more forgiving. Tomlin at least got to two super bowls and got a ring. He deserves his long leash as he has proven he can get it done. Tomlin is better imo as a coach. Dude frequently makes cake out of ***** with what his GM gives him as a QB. Allen with the Steelers is a super bowl team. 

• Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Forgetting one key name there....Andy Reid....Allen is basically on Mahomes level (has broken records Mahomes hasn't) so we should have a ring by now. Reid would have gotten us a ring by now. Let's hold him up to the gold standard. 

And if McDermott had gotten us one by now ....id be more forgiving. Tomlin at least got to two super bowls and got a ring. He deserves his long leash as he has proven he can get it done. Tomlin is better imo as a coach. Dude frequently makes cake out of ***** with what his GM gives him as a QB. Allen with the Steelers is a super bowl team. 

Or maybe he wouldn't 

I don't understand this fan base. We are more critical now than during the Decade of Fail. We have a great coach, great ownership, a great GM and a generational talent at QB. Yes, I know we all want a title yesterday.

As someone who had seasons through Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey and Marrone, you have clearly forgotten how bad things were and how good you have it now. Suddenly we have a pass rush and a running game to go with our Pro Bowl QB. It's within our grasp. Enjoy it!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

It wasn’t BB’s game plan that stopped the Bills in SB25, it was the Bills D’s inability to get the Giants O off the field, as they allowed the Giants to hold the ball for over 40 minutes.

Thurman had 15 carries for 135 yards and a TD. BB’s D hardly slowed him down. And it was an Andre Reed drop on a 3rd and 1, with the Bills up 12-3 that was the turning point in the game, not some mastery by BB.

Point being, it wasn’t BB’s genius that stopped the Bills, it was the Bills that stopped themselves.

I think Belichick's biggest master stroke in that Super Bowl was having his players fake injury to slow down the no-huddle offense.

2 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I don't understand this fan base. We are more critical now than during the Decade of Fail. We have a great coach, great ownership, a great GM and a generational talent at QB. Yes, I know we all want a title yesterday.

As someone who had seasons through Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey and Marrone, you have clearly forgotten how bad things were and how good you have it now. Suddenly we have a pass rush and a running game to go with our Pro Bowl QB. It's within our grasp. Enjoy it!

The bolded is somewhat true. It's not the entire fanbase but a higher percentage than it should be.

Those people are a grim, joyless group.

It makes you wonder about their lives.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Andy Reid’s first Super Bowl win was like 20 years into his head coaching career lol his prior team gave up on him after one bad season where he was missing one of the best offensive tackles in the league and his starting qb for a big chunk of the season.  Reid is literally evidence for why McDermott should have a longer leash not shorter imo, eagles gave up on him far too soon. 

Steelers have an absolute stud that can take over a game, he’s just on defense which nobody cares about for some reason.  An average coach would have that team going .500 without that much trouble. And when that guy is out, they almost always lose.  I’d argue Reid is a great example of why you shouldn’t give up on a perennially good coach too soon, and Tomlin is a great example of why you shouldn’t keep a coach too long just because he won a superbowl years ago 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

Some of the fans have deep emotional issues. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Some of the fans have deep emotional issues. 

That is correct.  January 27, 1991 was the most painful day of my life.  13 seconds was painful at about a level of 4/10.  Super Bowl XXV was 10/10, maybe higher.

I don't consider myself a "joyless" fan just because I'm not falling all over myself to congratulate a coach on his regular season winning percentage.  For me it's all about super bowls.  Just give us one and I can die in peace.

• Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, notpolian said:

That is correct.  January 27, 1991 was the most painful day of my life.  13 seconds was painful at about a level of 4/10.  Super Bowl XXV was 10/10, maybe higher.

I don't consider myself a "joyless" fan just because I'm not falling all over myself to congratulate a coach on his regular season winning percentage.  For me it's all about super bowls.  Just give us one and I can die in peace.

Yeah I dont buy into your thinking.  Good luck with your misery. 

• Disagree 1