Things I loved seeing on Thursday

Rubes

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

. And the way they handled his injuries in '22, clearly putting him back on the field too early was evil. I'm not even sure how that could have played out, considering the concussion protocols in place at the time, but we all saw it happen. Seeing McDaniel kiss Tua on the side of his head, as he was walking off the field for the last time in his career filled me with a quiet rage.

Judas kiss

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

To your first point, I'm fine with Spector.

I'm more concerned that Dorian doesn't quite seem to be up to speed yet after having played probably over a thousand regular season and playoff snaps.

I really want to see more from Dorian because physically he's everything you could want. If he ever puts together the mental part of the game...

What if I told you that Williams played 211 regular season defensive snaps plus 27 in the playoffs last season?

I'm not gonna say that's nothing, but over 19 games, that comes out to 12.5 snaps per game.  He saw a significant snap % in only one game (vs Giants)

He's played almost half what he played last season in just two games this year.  So he really doesn't have a lot of tread on his defensive game tires yet.

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Including playoffs, Dorian Williams has played 343 snaps in the NFL. 1/3 of what you think he has… 

Should add, defensive snaps.  Played a bunch on ST as well, but that doesn't teach him to read his keys

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

HATED seeing what happened to Tua. I read today that he is, in fact retiring. A also learned that I despise Mike McDaniel, and Chris Grier. It is disgusting how they have handled Tua. Developing a scheme in which Tua gets the ball out of his hands as fast as humanly possible is not a responsible alternative to providing a concussion-prone QB with a competent O-line. But, that's what they did-- completely ignored an already crappy O-line that had clearly become worse in the offseason. And the way they handled his injuries in '22, clearly putting him back on the field too early was evil. I'm not even sure how that could have played out, considering the concussion protocols in place at the time, but we all saw it happen. Seeing McDaniel kiss Tua on the side of his head, as he was walking off the field for the last time in his career filled me with a quiet rage.

I don't disagree with a thing you said about the way the Dolphins handled Tua, but I can not find anything reputable about Tua retiring.  

A bunch of former players and pundits and a couple doctors saying that he should

But nothing from Tua

I think he's too smart and too well-advised to make a decision like that this hastily.  He'll wait until he's recovered and has had time to mull it over.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I don't disagree with a thing you said about the way the Dolphins handled Tua, but I can not find anything reputable about Tua retiring.  

A bunch of former players and pundits and a couple doctors saying that he should

But nothing from Tua

I think he's too smart and too well-advised to make a decision like that this hastily.  He'll wait until he's recovered and has had time to mull it over.

Turned out it was a fake Shefter account. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

He was my guy, but I LOVED watching cook smoke JP21.  Bad angle and not enough speed-  typical of one we’ve seen the last couple years. Another instance of addition by subtraction. 

I loved watching McDaniels use Achane over and over and over and over again in a game that had already been determined.  Wear his body down even more please!

Our front 4-  I loved watching Von Miller look like Von Miller and our DL wreck the Miami OL.  Daquan had a few series where he was manhandling his guy.  Ed coming up huge.  

more than anything- I loved watching our misfit back 7 completely shut down Miami’s 60M WRs

Haven’t seen much mention of the dirty head-to-head hit that Poyer put on Shakir.  Really reckless, if not malicious.  He’ll be getting a hefty fine, I think.  Disappointing from a guy who was beloved here.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Haven’t seen much mention of the dirty head-to-head hit that Poyer put on Shakir.  Really reckless, if not malicious.  He’ll be getting a hefty fine, I think.  Disappointing from a guy who was beloved here.

Yeah-  he’s a bitter dude imo.  

• Agree 1

Watching the game for the second time, the physical domination by the d-line and o-line stood out to me.  They played really well.  The only real criticism I had was for AJ giving up the edge too easily on three different plays.  I also liked how Bishop looked on his few plays on the field.  He looked incredibly smooth and quick on the pass breakup in the corner of the end zone.  He made that play look really easy for him. I expect that he will be logging more playing time sooner rather than later.

I have gained a new appreciation for the Bills as an organization.  They continue to find good athletes and develop them.  They find good free agents that fit their schemes and their team culture without breaking the bank.  I was prepared to watch them take a step back in performance this season but they are much better than I expected.  They are a well coached team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Tua saw what Mijami was willing to invest in offense line (Mijami would argue that they could not afford to invest more to retain Tua) and should not have signed extension and told them he would sit out if they wanted him tp play under 5th year contact.  Likely agent convinced him to sign contract to get guaranteed money and protection vs injury but that means he is accepting risk of being injured behind that line. 

4 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

Tua saw what Mijami was willing to invest in offense line (Mijami would argue that they could not afford to invest more to retain Tua) and should not have signed extension and told them he would sit out if they wanted him tp play under 5th year contact.  Likely agent convinced him to sign contract to get guaranteed money and protection vs injury but that means he is accepting risk of being injured behind that line. 

If that;s true for Tua, then it's also true for Joe Burrow.

6 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

If that;s true for Tua, then it's also true for Joe Burrow.

I generally disagree with players who sit out to get higher contacts while other players who are performing get paid to sit on bench but in this particular case Mijami spent the money of more weapons for Tua, something advocated by some Bills fans on this board, while not spending resources on protecting QB.  Tua is not a Marino or Bledsoe but he was trying to make a play partly due to offense line performance.   This was a bad decision on his part and both Mijami and himself will pay for it.  He COULD have been injured in pocket but the difference between him and the other QBs who run is his physicality both in head and body as well as his awareness.

• Like (+1) 1

I do not want to see guys get hit the way he did, but you have to love Shakir’s toughness, holding on to the ball while getting drilled and popping right up to run back to the huddle, looks like an old school WR.   He’s quickly turning into on of my favorite players on the squad.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

Worst part of Thursday game was the players sliding frequently on algae covered field.  I guess you would call it a home field advantage since Phish players are used to footing on it.  

Yeah, the field was terrible.  I'm glad players didn't get injured because of it (Bernard's appears to have been one that could have happened anywhere and anytime) and the short week.