Tua’s Broken Dome (now being placed on IR-out at least 4 games)

RunTheBall

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

like what?  every time this guy goes out of a game they have to rewrite their protocol?  

Will you concede they did so last time?  I am almost certain there are discussions going on in the league offices

about options and risks.  They would be foolish not to.  If they do nothing, they do nothing, but they are talking about it.  

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Absurd--they can't force a grown man to retire.  He is well aware of the risks he incurs by playing.  

Where were you threads screaming for the Bills to force Morse to retire after countless concussions.  Look at Micah Hyde--had 2 seasons in a row with serious neck injury, had a cervical fusion and needs another....yet many here are craving to put his safety and health aside and join the Bills for a playoff run!

The Dolphin hate I get...butthis as the justification for your hate?  Nah...seems drummed up.  Everyone so concerned for a divisional rival QB's health!

come on...

Don’t get concussed if you fall off that high horse.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The league has nothing to do with this. 

I suspect they will let Miami know that they better have their ducks in a row before they inevitably clear Tua to play, the league wants the “optics” to look good on this,  that and the 32 plus owning interests want this to be handled correctly, being that they are the league…, 

• Agree 1

My biggest issue is that they let him play on Thursday night in 2022 which led to his 2nd concussion in less than a week. Players can continue their careers with concussions i.e. Mitch Morse. It’s similar to when you sprain your ankle in that the first sprain can usually be fully recovered from but if you get a second sprain soon after the first, that one could blow out your whole ankle joint and lead to big long term issues. That’s what Miami did except it wasn’t Tua’s ankle, it was his brain.

I can see WEO’s point and understand why it’s easy to be cynical about the sentiments expressed. From a competitive standpoint, I’d love Tua to stay and play because I don’t think he’s a very good QB. I like the guy, but I’m not worried about him from an opposing fan’s standpoint. As for Hyde, I hoped he’d retire after the neck injury because I didn’t think the risk of nerve damage was worth one more run at the end of a stellar career with Buffalo.

Dillinger4 - I’m sorry about the bad grammar and I’ll work on it. Go suck a bag of dick’s. Is that apostrophe appropriate?

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Will you concede they did so last time?  I am almost certain there are discussions going on in the league offices

about options and risks.  They would be foolish not to.  If they do nothing, they do nothing, but they are talking about it.  

The "Tua Rule" added ataxia to the "no go" findings on exam barring re-entry to the game.  There is no rule change that describes forbidding players from playing again after cleared by physicians charged with doing so.

The league has no ability to toss a player out of the league for any kind of injury.    

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I suspect they will let Miami know that they better have their ducks in a row before they inevitably clear Tua to play, the league wants the “optics” to look good on this,  that and the 32 plus owning interests want this to be handled correctly, being that they are the league…, 

They already do. I'm certain they feel they are "handling this correctly" based on current protocols.  There is no mechanism for telling a player he's done.  The NFLPA would go berserk.  I can't imagine the league has the power to simply invent this power outside of collective bargaining. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The "Tua Rule" added ataxia to the "no go" findings on exam barring re-entry to the game.  There is no rule change that describes forbidding players from playing again after cleared by physicians charged with doing so.

The league has no ability to toss a player out of the league for any kind of injury.    

They already do. I'm certain they feel they are "handling this correctly" based on current protocols.  There is no mechanism for telling a player he's done.  The NFLPA would go berserk.  I can't imagine the league has the power to simply invent this power outside of collective bargaining. 

Telling a player that they are done is not at all what I have been saying, sorry for any confusion in my words, but, the owners are the league, the league is the owners, they control what happens, and don’t want the cash flow interrupted, ever…, 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I am almost certain there are discussions going on in the league offices

I have no idea whether Tua’s history includes youth concussions that would contribute to his being more prone to additional concussions. I have always wondered since the “back spasm” game whether he was simply genetically more prone. I’m unaware of a test for checking kids propensity  but whether in boxing/MA or just experience growing up where we all had friends who were unlikely to have trouble with solid hits to the head versus some who went down on what seemed like a whiff, I would bet that Tua is just a guy that has always been far more sensitive to head/ neck pops. He should have walked away from the NFL after watching videos of his “fencing posture” incidents in 2022 but he chose to continue. When I’ve chosen to do stupid ***** like jumping out of planes there has generally been some amount of regulation that might have kept me from certain dangers like hopping into a dive with a bleeding gash on my arm when there was a Bull shark shadowing my dive boat. The NFL is so wigged out on the concussion history it seems like this one is easy. They should be telling Tua they won’t do anything to stop him from playing football, but they can’t let him play in their league. That kid has been playing on borrowed time for 2 years and the clock has run down to nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, AKC said:

I have no idea whether Tua’s history includes youth concussions that would contribute to his being more prone to additional concussions. I have always wondered since the “back spasm” game whether he was simply genetically more prone. I’m unaware of a test for checking kids propensity  but whether in boxing/MA or just experience growing up where we all had friends who were unlikely to have trouble with solid hits to the head versus some who went down on what seemed like a whiff, I would bet that Tua is just a guy that has always been far more sensitive to head/ neck pops. He should have walked away from the NFL after watching videos of his “fencing posture” incidents in 2022 but he chose to continue. When I’ve chosen to do stupid ***** like jumping out of planes there has generally been some amount of regulation that might have kept me from certain dangers like hopping into a dive with a bleeding gash on my arm when there was a Bull shark shadowing my dive boat. The NFL is so wigged out on the concussion history it seems like this one is easy. They should be telling Tua they won’t do anything to stop him from playing football, but they can’t let him play in their league. That kid has been playing on borrowed time for 2 years and the clock has run down to nothing.

I would scramble my brains tomorrow morning if it resulted in the kind of generational wealth that would help my family and community for the next 100 years.

And I bet your dumb ass would too. 🤙

I'm not sure how supportive I am of the league taking that choice out of players' hands.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Simon said:

I would scramble my brains tomorrow morning if it resulted in the kind of generational wealth that would help my family and community for the next 100 years.

I'm not sure how supportive I am of the league taking that choice out of players' hands.

I normally wouldn’t support it but the film on him doesn’t lie- he isn’t built for the game. How many times in all the years you’ve played did you made a routine stop like Hamlin’s that resulted in someone being assisted off the field? 

Plus I’m getting a lot more Rick Blaine these days so what I may have jumped into 20 years ago has met with some evolutionary decision making more recently!

Edited by AKC

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Brought up in this discussion.  I think this is a good perspective on how players feel about Tua's situation.

Lesean McCoy, Chase Daniels, James Jones and Emannuel Acho seem very truthful in their remarks.

It's a bit long, but I find it very interesting.

I mean, from a pure football perspective how can you grow your team if you have a ticking time bomb at QB? And it's not like Tua is so talented that it makes sense to continue to try and build your team around him. I mean just this offseason Bills fan practically sang from the roof top with the extension. It's been guaranteed mediocrity to date. Now, under even the best situation possible, you have to basically hold your breath every week. Not sure that is fair to his teammates or the Dolphins. If I was Miami, I would take the option away from him and I think in doing so you would be doing the best thing for the team as well as the player. No good path exists from Miami trying to make this work, or really, any NFL team. Move on. It's best for all involved. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, AKC said:

I normally wouldn’t support it but the film on him doesn’t lie- he isn’t built for the game. How many times have you made a routine stop like Hamlin’s that resulted in someone being assisted off the field?

I agree with you 100%. He's totally f***** and probably through no fault of his own; some guys do seem to just be prone to it. If/when he keeps banging away, it's probably going to end ugly and then lead to some hard years for him down the road.

But he's not stupid; he knows exactly what's up and what kind of risk/reward game he's playing.

If he's ready and willing to sacrifice himself for his people, the idea of a third party telling him "no" just doesn't sit right with me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Absurd--they can't force a grown man to retire.  He is well aware of the risks he incurs by playing.  

Where were you threads screaming for the Bills to force Morse to retire after countless concussions.  Look at Micah Hyde--had 2 seasons in a row with serious neck injury, had a cervical fusion and needs another....yet many here are craving to put his safety and health aside and join the Bills for a playoff run!

The Dolphin hate I get...butthis as the justification for your hate?  Nah...seems drummed up.  Everyone so concerned for a divisional rival QB's health!

come on...

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but see Eric Wood and how his career ended after an end of year physical by the team doctors...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, AKC said:

And I’m getting a lot more Rick Blaine these days so what I may have jumped into 20 years ago has met with some evolutionary decision making more recently!

lol

I've got a mantra for when I feel that sense of self-preservation creeping around my back door:

"Safety Third!"

I started a tread on this forum in Week 3 in 2022 during the game when Tua got concussed vs the Bills the first time and couldn't even walk off the field.   Then they sent him back in after halftime to keep playing.    That was the infamous "back spasm" excuse.  The following Thursday night, five days later, the Phins couldn't admit their mistake in the Bills game and sit him, so they sent him back out versus the Bengals and that is when he got clobbered again and was out.

When McDaniel got up at the press conference and looked in the camera and said that all he cared about was the health of his players, when every move he made showed without question that he cared absolutely nothing about Tua's health, is when he became my least favorite coach in the NFL.  McDaniel talks a good game but his actions show the kind of man he really is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I have to wonder how hard the Fin's and NFLPA would fight it if he said "Screw it I'm done?".  I know Miami would be after the Unearned portion of his signing Bonus,and that's fine. 

But they would owe him a ton of guaranteed money for injury.  Are they assclowns and hire attorneys and expert witnesses to fight paying him saying he didn't really need to retire?

I bet they,and possibly the NFL, might.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan

46 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Telling a player that they are done is not at all what I have been saying, sorry for any confusion in my words, but, the owners are the league, the league is the owners, they control what happens, and don’t want the cash flow interrupted, ever…, 

the owners are bound by the CBA.  There's no mechanism for an owner to force a player to quit, other than (see below)...

16 minutes ago, phypon said:

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but see Eric Wood and how his career ended after an end of year physical by the team doctors...

Yes, Wood failed a physical, based on radiological studies (he still planned on playing in the Pro Bowl).  That won't be possible with Tua...

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

the owners are bound by the CBA.  There's no mechanism for an owner to force a player to quit, other than (see below)...

Yes, Wood failed a physical, based on radiological studies (he still planned on playing in the Pro Bowl).  That won't be possible with Tua...

Of course it's possible.  That's my point.  If Tua fails a physical, he can't play.  It's happened before, there is precedent for that.

44 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think I may have done that just following the Bills for decades, but where do I click for the generational wealth? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2