Tua’s Broken Dome (now being placed on IR-out at least 4 games)

RunTheBall

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

It’s also worth noting how tear-your-hair-out dumb it is for Tua to not just slide after he has the first down, given his post concussion issues.  

I don't think he could have picked up the first with a slide; remember they mark the ball where you first initiate the slide.

He probably could have dived away from Hamlin though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't think he could have picked up the first with a slide; remember they mark the ball where you first initiate the slide.

He probably could have dived away from Hamlin though.

Brought up in this discussion.  I think this is a good perspective on how players feel about Tua's situation.

Lesean McCoy, Chase Daniels, James Jones and Emannuel Acho seem very truthful in their remarks.

It's a bit long, but I find it very interesting.

I agree but I'm not sure how you can blame McDaniel..

If the docs clear him and you're the head coach, would you not play him?

Your job as a coach is to win as many games as you can and you have to trust the doctors to make those decisions.

Thats 100 percent on the doctors, not McDaniel 

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

During the pre-game interviews, my wife asked me if something was wrong with Tua. He was incoherent before the game fwiw. He also looked unusually off that night with his game, not to take anything away from our D. 

Perhaps there was something wrong with him before that "hit". I say that because it wasn't even a hit. 

It was a hit for sure. Concussion happens when the brain slogs in one direction and is then thrown in the other direction quickly slamming inside your head.  This wasn’t a classic head on collision, but the injury happened when he forced his head quickly off to the side causing the contrecoup that is his brain going in another direction.  I was hoping it was just a jammed neck from how he hit Hamlin, but the posturing proved it was another concussion.

Normally, I wouldn’t say this was enough to cause injury. Problem is he is at risk for easier and easier concussions every time he’s in this type of situation.  This hit proved it. 

He should have slid for sure, but eventually this was going to happen.  Also, there is thought he shouldn’t be playing after his major concussion anyways.  

The only reason for him to keep playing is 💰💰💰

He has proven time and time again that he is not good enough to win big games.

He has as much a chance of making it to or winning a Super Bowl as I do.

Hopefully for him, he is able to reach some sort of an injury settlement with the Dolphins, and walk away with what is left of his Brain Health.

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

As someone who has dealt with concussion issues from football 

Tua knows the risks, and tua is the one who straps it up 

The dolphins did not put a gun to his head.. he's a competitor and he wanted to play

This is all 100% true. 

But sometimes we need to be protected from ourselves, too. The team could certainly have done a better job with that. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is all 100% true. 

But sometimes we need to be protected from ourselves, too. The team could certainly have done a better job with that. 

Now it's time the dolphins have to protect him the right way..

And unfortunately nudge him into retirement... Tua has some talent 

But he physically is not built for the rigors of how dangerous the NFL is

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

All of this is first and foremost on Tua, secondly it’s on the Dolphins medical staff, thirdly the League itself.

• Agree 2

i'll give an example from my own experience....

I played junior B hockey in Canada for a couple of years when i was in my teens. I was an average player, nothing special, but i could check like it was nobody's business......i was also checked many times while i had my head down (1st thing they teach you in hockey is to always keep your head up and have it on a swivel).

I was concussed numerous times, but back then like 40 years ago it was like anything, rub a little dirt on it and get back out there. My coaches ended up telling me to maybe move on, as the concussions were piling up and it was affecting my play.....and i hung it up.

You know what i did after that?........what any logical human being would do after being concussed numerous times, i joined a boxing club. I had two semi-pro bouts, lost one, won the other.......Arnie Boehm, my boxing coach came to me and said i should hang up the gloves (he could tell that past concussions were affecting my speech, my movement, etc. and he didn't want to be responsible if i got seriously hurt in the ring).

So, i walked away from sports.......i was done.

Fast forward to today, i have dealt with debilitating migraines since my early 20's........like, i'm talking like these headaches will knock me out for days. I have slurred speech and sometimes act erratically.

It's the buildup of concussion trauma......i know it, the doctors know it, however there's nothing they can do about it with so much time after the fact.

My opinion is that Tua should look at retirement........he has money, he has family, and sports aren't everything when your health is at risk......especially long-term health and affects.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I dunno what happened behind closed doors.  Everyone watching TV could see concussion. I always found it laughable they tried to say back injury. I find it even more laughable that to this day Miami fans will defend it and say he didnt have a concussion.  However, if you go in a locker room and they ask you whats your name and you can answer, then there ya go ya passed concussion protocol.  I know its not that simple. I am being hyperbolic.  Guys know how to pass these things though.

In any case, I would put more blame on the NFL than I would Miami.  All Miami was doing was following their crap protocols. Maybe for the good of Tua someone needs to stop Tua, but if it were me I would not want someone else making a decision on my career. I'd want good Drs telling me the truth so that I could decide for myself. I don't think anyone should be telling Tua what to do.  This is a violent sport. They know the risks. Could it be something Tua regrets down the road? Yeah, but IMO he should have the right to decide for himself what he wants to do with his life.  Its his life.  Thats just my opinion, because thats how I personally would want to be treated.  Give me the information and let me make my own choice.

I read some article earlier.  It seemed to indicate that Miami is going to shut him down for the year.  It also sounded like they hope he decides to retire so they don't have to pay him.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I've listed the reasons why these are crocodile tears.  Scroll up.

I'll throw in that if this was a QB in the NFC South, for instance, there would be no threads about it.  No one here believes the Dolphins would be a more difficult team to beat with a backup QB.   

No doubt many fans truly feel for the guy, and hope he retires (I would hope he leaves football).  But Tua gets crapped on here year round, and when he may now be eliminated as a threat on a team that has been widely picked to challenge the Bills for the division, let's say I'm not convinced of the genuine nature of the concussion prompted TBD outpouring of concern for Tua's health....when the same posters are clamoring for Hyde's return (to help the Bills in the playoff run!), for instance.

it's a stretch....

I agree with a lot of what you wrote.  Tua being in our division also means that we've "gotten to know him" more than a lot of other players.  We're more familiar with him, and therefore we might be more inclined to feel badly for the guy.  I never posted or said anything re Hyde's return, but I get your point there.   

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Absurd--they can't force a grown man to retire.  He is well aware of the risks he incurs by playing.  

Where were you threads screaming for the Bills to force Morse to retire after countless concussions.  Look at Micah Hyde--had 2 seasons in a row with serious neck injury, had a cervical fusion and needs another....yet many here are craving to put his safety and health aside and join the Bills for a playoff run!

The Dolphin hate I get...butthis as the justification for your hate?  Nah...seems drummed up.  Everyone so concerned for a divisional rival QB's health!

come on...

There were tons of Bills fans suggesting Morse should retire. Just saying.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

There were tons of Bills fans suggesting Morse should retire. Just saying.

Nah, not really "tons".  Not here...

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

The league adjusted its concussion protocol after Tua's last bout of concussions.

They can have a say in it if they want.

like what?  every time this guy goes out of a game they have to rewrite their protocol?  

• Disagree 2