Tua’s Broken Dome (now being placed on IR-out at least 4 games)

RunTheBall

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I feel like the team should be able to require that he wears one, from a business perspective if he won’t take responsibility for his own health, given the monetary investment they have in him. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Would probably have to be a contractual stipulation if anything. Doesn’t appear they have any say in this. 

No... but they'll put this in the dossier to defend themselves against an eventual lawsuit he brings against the team/league.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Surprised he won’t wear a guardian cap.

This is what convinced me that he is not in his right mind. And I'm not saying that just for laughs.

Eh, Tua can do what he wants. Lot of NHL players didn't wear visors when those were introduced because they just didn't like how they felt it affected their game. Maybe the guardian cap is uncomfortable or bulky or some other reason people don't want to wear it

11 minutes ago, paulmm3 said:

Eh, Tua can do what he wants. Lot of NHL players didn't wear visors when those were introduced because they just didn't like how they felt it affected their game. Maybe the guardian cap is uncomfortable or bulky or some other reason people don't want to wear it

I would ask him (or any other player who chooses not to wear one) questions as to why. I know it makes you look like Kyler Murray so maybe that's it.

On 10/19/2024 at 9:53 AM, Beck Water said:

Good Lord.

Well, it's his body.

Yup, ego can be a dangerous companion, 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, paulmm3 said:

Iirc I saw Our guy Rapp wearing one, plus I saw a guy on the Titans wearing one, so around the league there are guys using them, 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Pray that statement doesn’t prove prophetic. 

The odds are with Tua.  We all witnessed Hamlin revived outside of a hospital after suffering cardiac arrest on the field , only to see him starting for the Bills two years later.   His risk of dying there was very high , but he got immediate care from expert physicians and emt’s within a couple of minutes.  We witnessed the TE from Buffalo suffer a cervical spinal injury with temporary paralysis evade becoming a quadriplegic or dying also due to expert medical care in Buffalo , and I have his book as he is walking and living an almost completely normal life.  Granted , he never returned to football but that s because neural pathways in parts of his cord were severed , which is quite different than a temporary interruption in neural pathways during a concussion, which we see recover , with no reported ongoing symptoms according to Tua. 

This is a field of medicine that is still not perfectly exact , ever changing , and with things like Elon is working on , who knows how far medicine will progress with prevention and treatment. He is surrounded with experts , probably seeing the best available in-the country. He is a young athlete who had a dream , and reached the pinnacle of athletic success.  I mean , only 32 men reach the level of becoming a franchise qb at any one time in the most prestigious sport in the world.  He has been given complete informed consent about currently know risks , then it’s the individuals decision .  It’s his passion , it’s his calling in life. He may never suffer another concussion even tho his risk is higher now. He is providing stability and wealth for his family that he worked hard to achieve and that pay is higher because his job has inherent risks to his health.  

People are expecting a young man to walk away from his passion and life goals.  As an analogy , some gifted people go on to become neurosurgeons.  That’s also a calling and passion.  Years of sacrifice to get to that level of expertise.  It’s high risk and probably the field associated with the highest rates of malpractice suits , because the initial reasons for surgery are usually already life threatening, yet everyone expects total recovery. ( those suits drag on for years , after three in Florida you can have your license revoked , and suicide risks increase along with divorce rates during suits)   Daily they and their nurses are possibly exposed to new diseases ( Covid took its share ) that could be deadly. It pays very well , yet not nearly what a franchise qb makes. They are doing procedures with someone’s life in their hands.    But despite all the sacrifice , risks, etc, they have a passion and calling in life and the risks to personal life don’t keep them from going on, especially in the prime of their life.  Its hard to imagine what it takes to reach that peak level of a profession, until you’ve done it.  How do you ask someone to then just walk away ? 

That’s the level of commitment it took Tua to become a franchise qb.   If it was simple , risk adverse , it wouldn’t pay so much and have so few do it to that level. Some people risk their lives rock climbing freehand , skydiving , deep sea diving etc, and I doubt they get paid relative to the risk. It’s easy to sit home and type opinions about how foolish it is for him to continue risking his health.   Try walking away permanently from one of your hobbies , like never watch another BILLS GAME , and I bet it would take quite a bit to just do that ; imagine giving up your purpose in life and livelihood in your twenties.   All I’m saying is I understand making a choice to take a risk to keep your passion alive.  People do high  risk things just as a hobby.  
    That’s life, and I don’t understand all the couch coaching questioning his judgement.  Every player in that profession risks life altering injuries ( look at godwins leg injury tonight , there are risks with fractures, just like the prior KC qb  Alex Smith , who almost died from his leg injury and

post op complications).  Personally , I don’t understand boxing or fighting for a living with no head protection and its biggest goal are knockout wins. We all know Ali with pugilistic syndrome , but pay per view , MMA events keep selling out.  Tua is choosing his passion over the risks, people do that every day in their own lines of work.  He seems like a man of faith also so he’s in good hands and if there is no absolute contraindication to him playing , it’s his choice alone unless the team has some contractual out , or they can chose not to play him.   

I have not heard anyone talking about hamlins risk that he plays with.  Normally , any athlete who suffers cardiac arrest / sudden death while playing a sport is required to have an implantable defibrillator prior to being cleared to return to play.  He is one of the only athletes reportedly playing after arrest without an implanted defibrillator.  There are associations and other private doctors who have requested an investigation and there is question about the diagnosis given as it’s seen usually in adolescents with thin chests , not  grown men. I have not heard any final  reports.  The NFL And bills have been silent ; instead he is celebrated for returning to play.  Just like Tua , it’s his choice , but you don’t see people questioning his intelligence etc anywhere near what Tua has faced. Just saying , they are informed adults and this is hyperbole at this point. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

Not to get all philosophical, but it seems to me there are things worse than death.  Constant, chronic pain & lack of mental functionality being 2 such conditions.

I have constant chronic neck pain from an injury. Was even paralyzed a while. It has completely controlled what I can and cant do.  Id rather be alive and deal with it. You only get one life.  That said, if this is what Tua wants to do with his then I respect that. People should have a choice on how they want to live their lives.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

The odds are with Tua.  We all witnessed Hamlin revived outside of a hospital after suffering cardiac arrest on the field , only to see him starting for the Bills two years later.   His risk of dying there was very high , but he got immediate care from expert physicians and emt’s within a couple of minutes.  We witnessed the TE from Buffalo suffer a cervical spinal injury with temporary paralysis evade becoming a quadriplegic or dying also due to expert medical care in Buffalo , and I have his book as he is walking and living an almost completely normal life.  Granted , he never returned to football but that s because neural pathways in parts of his cord were severed , which is quite different than a temporary interruption in neural pathways during a concussion, which we see recover , with no reported ongoing symptoms according to Tua. 

This is a field of medicine that is still not perfectly exact , ever changing , and with things like Elon is working on , who knows how far medicine will progress with prevention and treatment. He is surrounded with experts , probably seeing the best available in-the country. He is a young athlete who had a dream , and reached the pinnacle of athletic success.  I mean , only 32 men reach the level of becoming a franchise qb at any one time in the most prestigious sport in the world.  He has been given complete informed consent about currently know risks , then it’s the individuals decision .  It’s his passion , it’s his calling in life. He may never suffer another concussion even tho his risk is higher now. He is providing stability and wealth for his family that he worked hard to achieve and that pay is higher because his job has inherent risks to his health.  

People are expecting a young man to walk away from his passion and life goals.  As an analogy , some gifted people go on to become neurosurgeons.  That’s also a calling and passion.  Years of sacrifice to get to that level of expertise.  It’s high risk and probably the field associated with the highest rates of malpractice suits , because the initial reasons for surgery are usually already life threatening, yet everyone expects total recovery. ( those suits drag on for years , after three in Florida you can have your license revoked , and suicide risks increase along with divorce rates during suits)   Daily they and their nurses are possibly exposed to new diseases ( Covid took its share ) that could be deadly. It pays very well , yet not nearly what a franchise qb makes. They are doing procedures with someone’s life in their hands.    But despite all the sacrifice , risks, etc, they have a passion and calling in life and the risks to personal life don’t keep them from going on, especially in the prime of their life.  Its hard to imagine what it takes to reach that peak level of a profession, until you’ve done it.  How do you ask someone to then just walk away ? 

That’s the level of commitment it took Tua to become a franchise qb.   If it was simple , risk adverse , it wouldn’t pay so much and have so few do it to that level. Some people risk their lives rock climbing freehand , skydiving , deep sea diving etc, and I doubt they get paid relative to the risk. It’s easy to sit home and type opinions about how foolish it is for him to continue risking his health.   Try walking away permanently from one of your hobbies , like never watch another BILLS GAME , and I bet it would take quite a bit to just do that ; imagine giving up your purpose in life and livelihood in your twenties.   All I’m saying is I understand making a choice to take a risk to keep your passion alive.  People do high  risk things just as a hobby.  
    That’s life, and I don’t understand all the couch coaching questioning his judgement.  Every player in that profession risks life altering injuries ( look at godwins leg injury tonight , there are risks with fractures, just like the prior KC qb  Alex Smith , who almost died from his leg injury and

post op complications).  Personally , I don’t understand boxing or fighting for a living with no head protection and its biggest goal are knockout wins. We all know Ali with pugilistic syndrome , but pay per view , MMA events keep selling out.  Tua is choosing his passion over the risks, people do that every day in their own lines of work.  He seems like a man of faith also so he’s in good hands and if there is no absolute contraindication to him playing , it’s his choice alone unless the team has some contractual out , or they can chose not to play him.   

I have not heard anyone talking about hamlins risk that he plays with.  Normally , any athlete who suffers cardiac arrest / sudden death while playing a sport is required to have an implantable defibrillator prior to being cleared to return to play.  He is one of the only athletes reportedly playing after arrest without an implanted defibrillator.  There are associations and other private doctors who have requested an investigation and there is question about the diagnosis given as it’s seen usually in adolescents with thin chests , not  grown men. I have not heard any final  reports.  The NFL And bills have been silent ; instead he is celebrated for returning to play.  Just like Tua , it’s his choice , but you don’t see people questioning his intelligence etc anywhere near what Tua has faced. Just saying , they are informed adults and this is hyperbole at this point. 

Very well written.  I agree with most of it.  The only part however that changes things is that he has a family.  Choosing your "passion" of playing a game makes him selfish.  He needs to put his wife/ children first instead of himself.  He's already made plenty of $$$ to retire now and live comfortably.

As for hamlin, this is actually the first time I've heard someone say there is risk of him playing.  Everything I've read/heard thus far has always been that the odds of it statistically happening to him again are very low.

Edited by TurfToeJam

10 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I have constant chronic neck pain from an injury. Was even paralyzed a while. It has completely controlled what I can and cant do.  Id rather be alive and deal with it. You only get one life.  That said, if this is what Tua wants to do with his then I respect that. People should have a choice on how they want to live their lives.

100% agree. even with the constant pain and ailments i have now from many poor decisions and not focusing on better choices (rest, mobility, etc) i am happy only when i push myself to the limit. otherwise i am too bored.

exercise and such is a lot cheaper than a psychiatrist, too.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, DJB said:

“I want to stay more available for the team”

“No I won’t wear the guardian cap….personal choice”

🧐

This guy has brain damage clearly 

Is that why he said he wouldn't wear the guardian cap? Because that makes no sense there completely unrelated.