Tua’s Broken Dome (now being placed on IR-out at least 4 games)

RunTheBall

2 hours ago, Mango said:

NFL : "Sir you don't work here anymore due to the risk of severe injury"
Tua: "But I want to"
NFL: "No"

See how easy that was...

Everyday companies and government agencies across theses here United States force people into retirement What world do you live in?

You must not have no  HR department where you work.  Hes broken no rules, violated no contract.  he would have to be fired for cause (which is what?).

NFL is a union shop. NFLPA will never allow such a precedent unless it’s bargained for. 

If he is cleared medically to play, I see no mechanism for the team (let alone the league) to “fire” him.  They can cut him and take the hit I guess.  

maybe he will take a settlement and enjoy his money for the rest of his life

• Simon changed the title to Tua’s Broken Dome (now being placed on IR-out at least 4 games)
On 9/14/2024 at 10:53 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Absurd--they can't force a grown man to retire.  He is well aware of the risks he incurs by playing.  

Where were you threads screaming for the Bills to force Morse to retire after countless concussions.  Look at Micah Hyde--had 2 seasons in a row with serious neck injury, had a cervical fusion and needs another....yet many here are craving to put his safety and health aside and join the Bills for a playoff run!

The Dolphin hate I get...butthis as the justification for your hate?  Nah...seems drummed up.  Everyone so concerned for a divisional rival QB's health!

come on...

NFL couldn't attempt to force him out unless they had an absolute bulletproof, indisputable, medical report. There would be pitchforks and fires from Nflpa. Including from me.

Up thread someone mentioned "we should petition to have NFL force him to retire". Obv that's not gunna work, but the mere idea of that is so far beyond shameful. 

"How do we know he's competent enought to make a decision". 🤣🤣🤣

We can send our kids off in the name of oil and poppy plants, where they'll certainly return life alteringly mentally damaged and possibly physically.... for $35k/year. Or have our kids drafted, and that's the trajectory.

But yes, we as a civilization need to run interference on anothers life, because he's not smart enough to know what he's getting himself into, even though he's college educated, and playing the most cerebral position in sports.

Maybe he's fully aware and *if medically cleared* nobody but him gets to make a decision if he should play or not. If it's his dream he gets to decide for himself if the risk is too much. Shameful anyone could even entertain that... and that's from me, who hopes he hangs it up

• Like (+1) 1

It’s good they aren’t rushing him back.   Not that they really could have given all the attention this has gotten.   It really is too bad.   The NFL is fun when the best players play.  I always wanted to beat the other team with ALL their guys available….otherwise you get the “yeah buts” when you win.  

Good luck to Tua and his family.   For those asking for forced retirement….may you never be in a situation where your life and what happens to it be out of your control.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

NFL couldn't attempt to force him out unless they had an absolute bulletproof, indisputable, medical report. There would be pitchforks and fires from Nflpa. Including from me.

Up thread someone mentioned "we should petition to have NFL force him to retire". Obv that's not gunna work, but the mere idea of that is so far beyond shameful. 

"How do we know he's competent enought to make a decision". 🤣🤣🤣

We can send our kids off in the name of oil and poppy plants, where they'll certainly return life alteringly mentally damaged and possibly physically.... for $35k/year. Or have our kids drafted, and that's the trajectory.

But yes, we as a civilization need to run interference on anothers life, because he's not smart enough to know what he's getting himself into, even though he's college educated, and playing the most cerebral position in sports.

Maybe he's fully aware and *if medically cleared* nobody but him gets to make a decision if he should play or not. If it's his dream he gets to decide for himself if the risk is too much. Shameful anyone could even entertain that... and that's from me, who hopes he hangs it up

The NFL would never force him out.

would be setting one hell of a precedent.

would never fly, would only make lawyers richer.

55 minutes ago, Beast said:

When Miami is out of the playoff picture by week 8 they will shut him down for the year, trot him back out in 2025….and face the same situation, or worse, after that.

I Heard Miami has an out on his contract after this year if they want. (With like 38 mil in dead cap for 2025. not sure of the exact number but something like that)

So if he doesn't return this year, it will be interesting if Miami decides to get out of the contract or continue with him next year

The WWE/AEW wrestler Daniel Bryan/Danielson had a big concussion history that forced him into an early retirement in his early to mid-30's. He basically took 3 years off from wrestling and then came back and has been wrestling the last six years at a high level. When asked about his return from injury he stated that he really needed the time off to heal as like any other injury. 

Tua is going to get at least get 4 games off to have an opportunity heal but I do wonder what medical professionals say about how long he might actually need? Is a 4-6 time table enough or is this at the very least a season ender? I do think if they shut him down for the season that might be best for Tua's long term chances to actually sustain a career. Giving him about a year before he takes live hits is a good idea for his health. 

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The WWE/AEW wrestler Daniel Bryan/Danielson had a big concussion history that forced him into an early retirement in his early to mid-30's. He basically took 3 years off from wrestling and then came back and has been wrestling the last six years at a high level. When asked about his return from injury he stated that he really needed the time off to heal as like any other injury. 

Tua is going to get at least get 4 games off to have an opportunity heal but I do wonder what medical professionals say about how long he might actually need? Is a 4-6 time table enough or is this at the very least a season ender? I do think if they shut him down for the season that might be best for Tua's long term chances to actually sustain a career. Giving him about a year before he takes live hits is a good idea for his health. 

A year is actually probably two seasons since he'd be coming back after season started with no offseason camps, no preseason games and someone else named starter.  If his career is going to resume he needs to be available by summer next year.

5 hours ago, Mango said:

NFL : "Sir you don't work here anymore due to the risk of severe injury"
Tua: "But I want to"
NFL: "No"

See how easy that was...

Everyday companies and government agencies across theses here United States force people into retirement What world do you live in?

Question:

Those companies have a pretty strong union like the NFLPA and a CBA?

Those people have a contract with the specific subsidiary of those companies with $93M fully guaranteed (40% of the subsidiary's allotted personnel budget)?

See how more complicated it gets with the injection of a few real parameters?

36 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I Heard Miami has an out on his contract after this year if they want. (With like 38 mil in dead cap for 2025. not sure of the exact number but something like that)

So if he doesn't return this year, it will be interesting if Miami decides to get out of the contract or continue with him next year

You got the digits swapped.  Tua has a dead cap for 2025 of $83M.  After that it falls to something reasonable.

On 9/15/2024 at 4:46 PM, BillsFan130 said:

Hes a football coach. Not a life coach or a doctor. His job is to win football games.

If the doctors clear him, he has to go by that. If he didn't , then he's not built out to be an nfl coach 

What you said “may” be true, but what does that say about him as a man? 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You must not have no  HR department where you work.  Hes broken no rules, violated no contract.  he would have to be fired for cause (which is what?).

NFL is a union shop. NFLPA will never allow such a precedent unless it’s bargained for. 

If he is cleared medically to play, I see no mechanism for the team (let alone the league) to “fire” him.  They can cut him and take the hit I guess.  

maybe he will take a settlement and enjoy his money for the rest of his life

But the team is under no obligation to play him either. He could be cleared and then planted on the bench.  They could put him on the practice squad. No other team would touch him. But the cap hit is massive if they cut him before 2027. I think that he'll play if he wants to, and I think that he'll get another one of these in due time. There really isn't another option.

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Question:

Those companies have a pretty strong union like the NFLPA and a CBA?

Those people have a contract with the specific subsidiary of those companies with $93M fully guaranteed (40% of the subsidiary's allotted personnel budget)?

See how more complicated it gets with the injection of a few real parameters?

You got the digits swapped.  Tua has a dead cap for 2025 of $83M.  After that it falls to something reasonable.

Hmm I just checked spotrac and you are correct. Weird, I could swear I heard from the locked on dolphins guy that the number was in the 30s

45 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

You read that right where I read that. I know Spotrac isn't perfect, but I do trust that more than a Finheaven poster's wishful thinking.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/47598/tua-tagovailoa

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

Hmm I just checked spotrac and you are correct. Weird, I could swear I heard from the locked on dolphins guy that the number was in the 30s

So that's where that poster got that. The podcaster had it wrong. His cap hit next year is in the 30's, not the dead cap. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This Tua and the dolphins situation is quite reminiscent of how RG3 got jobbed by his team, coaches and team doctors looked the other way on both of these players well being, granted Tua’s issues are more severe being his 🧠 is at risk of being destroyed…, 

Edited by Don Otreply

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

The obvious and only answer:  A Billboard

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

What you said “may” be true, but what does that say about him as a man? 

You could argue that for sure, but I still don't blame Mcdaniel.

If the docs clear him to play, you go with what the doctors say.

At the end of the day it is a business with tens of millions of dollars on the line for Mcdaniel.

If he goes agains the docs and sits Tua out because he is a "good guy" and the dolphins season implodes (which it probably would), then you can bet Stephen Ross would be looking for a new head coach and Mcdaniel probably doesn't have this new contract extension he just got.

I think it is easy for us to judge him, but put yourself in Mcdaniels shoes

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Agree 1