Tua’s Broken Dome (now being placed on IR-out at least 4 games)

RunTheBall

7 hours ago, Sweats said:

I know when i had to have neck surgery, the doctors made me sign a waiver that they would not be held liable if they damaged some nerves and i ended up paralyzed........seems reassuring, doesn't it?

I didn't sign it and they wouldn't do the surgery until i signed it.......it's been 8 years and counting where i am still waiting to have the surgery.

They won't do the surgery until i sign and i ain't signing it.

I can totally understand why you’d be reluctant to sign that consent. I’ve done a ton of neck surgeries (as a gas passer)  and I can tell you in my experience the overwhelming majority of patients had great results. I’m not aware of anyone who ever ended up paralyzed, but I do know some who didn’t get relief. If you are talking about an ACDF, in competent hands it has a much higher success rate than lower back fusions and almost everyone I know personally who had it done (lots) got good relief from their symptoms. Most of the patients I’ve taken care of noticed improvement in the recovery room.

There are no guarantees in any surgery. The consents you sign will not prevent you from suing a surgeon if malpractice is involved. Malpractice is defined as “a deviation from the standard of care” which is meant to protect physicians from bad outcomes that aren’t the result of negligence. Just like Tua balancing the risks and benefits of continuing to play, you have to weigh the risks and benefits of the surgery. Not an easy decision by any means. Best of luck.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Insane question. I hope he doesn't play! But someone stating we should petition to force retirement and now "is he competent".

He's a grown arse man. Last thing anybody in this country needs is more people telling others how to live their life. Do better 

We do not know the extent of brain injury, do we?

15 hours ago, Savage said:

Why don’t these guys have their own doctors, with no vested interests, other than that of their patient?

I’ve had the same doctor since I was a kid, so over 45 years now, and he doesn’t mince his words when we speak.

I follow his recommendations all the time, because it is what’s best for me.

if I was in Tua’s predicament, I know what he’d say, and I’d know he was right because he is looking out for me.

Some celebrities want a doctor who'll prescribe them drugs.

Some athletes want a doctor who'll clear them to play.

I wouldn't assume Tua wants a doctor who cares about his health.

8 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

NFL needs to dump money into making that thing much more hidden. Players sHoUld know better,but that's swimming up stream.

Get the dang thing to where you squint and can't tell who is/isn't wearing it, and it'll be at 95% voluntary wearing. Kids be stubborn lol

The Guardian cap is doing something top of the line helmets alone can't do as well. Prevent concussions. Appearance is a huge obstacle to overcome. Helmet makers need to build the Guardian cap technology into the helmet IMO. A fellow patron and I in the Guardian Cap thread brought up the idea of all soft interior exterior resembling old style leather helmets. Einstein suggested we would be cracking skulls this way.

I hate it when that happens... 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Figster said:

The Guardian cap is doing something top of the line helmets alone can't do as well. Prevent concussions. Appearance is a huge obstacle to overcome. Helmet makers need to build the Guardian cap technology into the helmet IMO. A fellow patron and I in the Guardian Cap thread brought up the idea of all soft interior exterior resembling old style leather helmets. Einstein suggested we would be cracking skulls this way.

egg GIF by Chris Timmons

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

No plans on retiring.  Guy is nuts.  He's already going to have problems when he's older.  My uber uneducated take.  

If you had a quadriplegic trying to do mma, would you let him?

If the dude dies on the field could the NFL be liable in some way?  

I dont even know what I think here but playing devil's advocate.   

That's for the doctors to assess. 

8 hours ago, Figster said:

Spot on and that's what I meant. Find a way to make it less dorky and use will go up

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/14/2024 at 11:44 AM, Doc said:

It sucks it happened but Tua's a grown man and can make his own decisions.  I get trying to hide a concussion in the Bills game in 2022 but after the Bengals game, he should have re-evaluated his life.  He decided to keep playing and survived last season without a concussion.  Now if he continues to play, it's all on him.

I am with you... I dont think it is advantageous to have the NFL make or encourage or nudge anyone to retire. This is amongst the most personal decisions anyone can make. Its a slippery slope from there when you start to mess with some ones career. That being said, they should be providing him and lets hope they are with independent consult and resources so he and his family clearly understand his situation the risks etc...and can make the best decision for him. For his sake I hope he does make the right call... but without the benefit of the doctors or information I wont presume what that call should be. I wish him the best.  

15 hours ago, Savage said:

Apparently McMahon is really messed up now.

I looked.  Most recent interview said his head still bothers him but he has had several surgeries and treatments and says he is overall doing much better.  He's apparently getting out and about some now.

There was a period of time where he admits he wanted to end his own life because his chronic pain was so bad it felt like someone was stabbing him in the head with icepicks constantly, even when he laid in a darkened room all the time (which, understandably, caused situationally appropriate depression). 

He didn't go into detail about what helped him that I found. 

But there's some stuff about usingVestibular physical therapy and vision therapy to help reduce post-concussion symptoms, and in fact, those espousing this say that the advice to lie in the dark and avoid using screens etc. is actually counterproductive and instead what is needed, in addition to lots of rest, is systematic re-introduction of stimuli.              

This kind of thing:

https://www.cognitivefxusa.com/blog/post-concussion-syndrome-treatment-what-to-know

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Seems the Fins just picked up Tyler Huntley from the Ravens.......i don't think Tua will retire, but he could be out for the long haul this time.

In 2022 he suffered a head injury against the Bills early in the year. He was running off the field then had to take a knee and go to the ground. I think the Dolphins put him back in the game which was insane. Then there was the Bengals game where he is lying on the ground and fingers looked out of whack. That was a concussion. Then on Christmas he suffered another one against GB. This makes four head injuries in a short period of time. He should listen to his doctors, wife, family and his own body. He needs to put his health first. He asking for major problems going forward risking another head injury. If he wants to stay in football, he can look at coaching or announcing. He is a part of the NFL fraternity so he could find a job either at the NFL level or college.

Edited by Gregg

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I looked.  Most recent interview said his head still bothers him but he has had several surgeries and treatments and says he is overall doing much better.  He's apparently getting out and about some now.

There was a period of time where he admits he wanted to end his own life because his chronic pain was so bad it felt like someone was stabbing him in the head with icepicks constantly, even when he laid in a darkened room all the time (which, understandably, caused situationally appropriate depression). 

He didn't go into detail about what helped him that I found. 

But there's some stuff about usingVestibular physical therapy and vision therapy to help reduce post-concussion symptoms, and in fact, those espousing this say that the advice to lie in the dark and avoid using screens etc. is actually counterproductive and instead what is needed, in addition to lots of rest, is systematic re-introduction of stimuli.              

This kind of thing:

https://www.cognitivefxusa.com/blog/post-concussion-syndrome-treatment-what-to-know

Tua should give him a call.

On 9/14/2024 at 10:53 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Absurd--they can't force a grown man to retire.  He is well aware of the risks he incurs by playing.  

Where were you threads screaming for the Bills to force Morse to retire after countless concussions.  Look at Micah Hyde--had 2 seasons in a row with serious neck injury, had a cervical fusion and needs another....yet many here are craving to put his safety and health aside and join the Bills for a playoff run!

The Dolphin hate I get...butthis as the justification for your hate?  Nah...seems drummed up.  Everyone so concerned for a divisional rival QB's health!

come on...

NFL : "Sir you don't work here anymore due to the risk of severe injury"
Tua: "But I want to"
NFL: "No"

See how easy that was...

Everyday companies and government agencies across theses here United States force people into retirement What world do you live in?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

NFL : "Sir you don't work here anymore due to the risk of severe injury"
Tua: "But I want to"
NFL: "No"

See how easy that was...

Everyday companies and government agencies across theses here United States force people into retirement What world do you live in?

Things like this always come down to what is in writing. Where in Tua’s contract or the CBA does the league have this power? They need to have the right to force him to retire, and I don’t think they do. 

On 9/15/2024 at 10:14 AM, May Day 10 said:

He has to say he has no plans to retire at this point 

If doctors tell him he cant/shouldn't play again, I can see miami trying to somehow claim he was going to retire anyway and fight for the $

100%. His contract has huge money protected against injury. So when the time comes and he walks away it will go like this: 

Tua: I want to play footbal.
Doctor: Yeah...I can't clear you to do that.
Tua: Ah shucks. Guess I will go home then. (Profit)

14 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Some celebrities want a doctor who'll prescribe them drugs.

Some athletes want a doctor who'll clear them to play.

I wouldn't assume Tua wants a doctor who cares about his health.

You would think they would have both.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

100%. His contract has huge money protected against injury. So when the time comes and he walks away it will go like this: 

Tua: I want to play footbal.
Doctor: Yeah...I can't clear you to do that.
Tua: Ah shucks. Guess I will go home then. (Profit)

Good for him. He didn't put a gun to anybody's head to give him that huge contract.

• Like (+1) 1