Tua’s Broken Dome (now being placed on IR-out at least 4 games)

RunTheBall

3 hours ago, Sweats said:

Any doctor worth their sauce would get Tua to sign an agreement to not be held responsible for any outcome, if Tua should decide to keep playing.

They would likely do that but liability waivers aren't automatic get out of lawsuit free cards. It's just an extra layer of protection.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

They would likely do that but liability waivers aren't automatic get out of lawsuit free cards. It's just an extra layer of protection.

I know when i had to have neck surgery, the doctors made me sign a waiver that they would not be held liable if they damaged some nerves and i ended up paralyzed........seems reassuring, doesn't it?

I didn't sign it and they wouldn't do the surgery until i signed it.......it's been 8 years and counting where i am still waiting to have the surgery.

They won't do the surgery until i sign and i ain't signing it.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Virtually the same here. I’ve never seen anyone posture after a concussion. 

This surprises me.

Go do some searches for NFL, concussion, fencing, etc and I bet you can find dozens if you want.

I've seen it too many times.

21 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

If you're an nfl coach during live game action, your thoughts are on the game. There are 100 things going on and you can't be a therapist with injuries.

If the doctor green lights him, you put him in. It's really as simple as that.

The actual reality here, you're right. Only 32 HCs, piss an owner off, he might tag you at end of season (see Wade Phillips). They'll find someone who would've tried to put Hamlin back in 2022.

That's 100% the reality. I have no doubt being young, 1st time HC, he was feeling that pressure. Maybe not get another shot.

Factor in the pressure of Tua saying clear me. Doctors clearing him. Voiced or unvoiced pressure from all players when yall look like a good team.

Potentially losing your job for insubordination when: Tua himself, doctors, league, and ownership are saying I'm good to go. A part of him proli felt like it'd be OK after all that.

Like, technically I proli shouldn't do this, but feels like not wearing a seat belt JUST ONCE. "It'll be fine".

Part of me thinks an older established coach, with certainty in another HC job, would be the only one with the resolve to say NO. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Figster said:

You can force a grown man to wear the Guardian cap If your McDaniel.

NFL needs to dump money into making that thing much more hidden. Players sHoUld know better,but that's swimming up stream.

Get the dang thing to where you squint and can't tell who is/isn't wearing it, and it'll be at 95% voluntary wearing. Kids be stubborn lol

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

NFL needs to dump money into making that thing much more hidden. Players sHoUld know better,but that's swimming up stream.

Get the dang thing to where you squint and can't tell who is/isn't wearing it, and it'll be at 95% voluntary wearing. Kids be stubborn lol

I think they should make them even bigger and then have our entire DLine wearing them every snap

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

This would be a question more for the lawyers out there. but given the number and apparent intensity of the concussions Tua has had, is he legally competent to make a decision about whether to keep playing?

Insane question. I hope he doesn't play! But someone stating we should petition to force retirement and now "is he competent".

He's a grown arse man. Last thing anybody in this country needs is more people telling others how to live their life. Do better 

No plans on retiring.  Guy is nuts.  He's already going to have problems when he's older.  My uber uneducated take.  

8 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Insane question. I hope he doesn't play! But someone stating we should petition to force retirement and now "is he competent".

He's a grown arse man. Last thing anybody in this country needs is more people telling others how to live their life. Do better 

If you had a quadriplegic trying to do mma, would you let him?

If the dude dies on the field could the NFL be liable in some way?  

I dont even know what I think here but playing devil's advocate.   

On 9/14/2024 at 9:56 AM, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

I thought the same thing, that look on his face after it happened was one of worry for the future but also it seemed like it was setting in what he had ultimately done to this young QB he supposedly "loves".  Someone needs (im not capable) to make a montage video of Dolphins staff brushing off the concussion from two years ago as a "back injury", that was laughably false and everyone knew it

The "place where that happened" was inside the Dolphins locker room in their exam room, so yeah, nobody got footage of that.

On 9/15/2024 at 11:57 AM, Mr. WEO said:

It won't be as easy for the medical staff to clear him as it would be to pointing to a neck injury on an MRI..

not really, no

I'm not disagreeing about "fencing".  But the NFL would say that wasold news--obviously he recovered and has played the rest of '22 and all of '23, just fine.

That's not part of this discussion.  Why do the Cowboys keep re-signing Dak?  Dumb.  WHy does any team re-sign their QB?  WHy did the Falsons sign seriously injured Cousins?  This isn't a discussion about contracts.

What else are they going to do, cut Tua?  Of course not---they are going to pay him. 

We all saw that.  Then we saw him come back and win games that same season .  The following season he won 11 games and was the top passer in the NFL last year. 

Absolutely no one was calling for Tua to retire at any point  last year, even after his "fencing response" early in the previous season.  So it makes no sense for posters here now to reference their response to his 2022 hit when decrying his current injury.  It doesn't follow, logically.

Not really.  Other owners will not be in the room when/if he is cleared.  These guys do NOT like to tell others how to run their business--unless the others are stealing from them (see Dan Snyder).  The owners hate precedent setting (see Deshawn Watson) especially when it comes to money/contracts/roster making.

If Tua is cleared, there is no way for Terry and Jerry to know if the CBA negotiated "ducks" are in a row.  Simply because they absolutely don't want their colleagues nosing their way into future similar decisions they may need to make.

Actually yes, a lot of talk about Morris being to retire. 

Guys Tua is a football player ... As I said earlier up the thread they all know the risks 

When you get to this level of football.. sure some are playing for the money.. they lost the Love of the game a long time ago but are so talented and put their entire lives into the game they're going to get their bread 

Then you get guys like favre , Brady , Allen and yes tua 

These guys love the sport of football.. they identify as football players... Those guys would go out on their Shields if they could playing forever 

Brady tried and he was still throwing piss missiles at 43.. that's just the Love of the game 

Tua is a tough sob and he knows he's putting his health on the line and his cognition on the line

But just like hockey players or wrestlers... If that's all they know it's hard to tell them no

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Guys Tua is a football player ... As I said earlier up the thread they all know the risks 

When you get to this level of football.. sure some are playing for the money.. they lost the Love of the game a long time ago but are so talented and put their entire lives into the game they're going to get their bread 

Then you get guys like favre , Brady , Allen and yes tua 

These guys love the sport of football.. they identify as football players... Those guys would go out on their Shields if they could playing forever 

Brady tried and he was still throwing piss missiles at 43.. that's just the Love of the game 

Tua is a tough sob and he knows he's putting his health on the line and his cognition on the line

But just like hockey players or wrestlers... If that's all they know it's hard to tell them no

In this day and age, they should know better.

at this point, if he doesn’t retire, whatever happens with his health is all on him.

no excuses.

1 minute ago, Savage said:

In this day and age, they should know better.

at this point, if he doesn’t retire, whatever happens with his health is all on him.

no excuses.

Well that's the point 

He's a grown man.. doctors recommendations or even family doesn't even probably weigh that much to somebody who loves the game that much and still thinks he could play 

McMahon the bears quarterback also had terrible concussions if I recall correctly

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well that's the point 

He's a grown man.. doctors recommendations or even family doesn't even probably weigh that much to somebody who loves the game that much and still thinks he could play 

McMahon the bears quarterback also had terrible concussions if I recall correctly

Apparently McMahon is really messed up now.

12 minutes ago, Savage said:

Apparently McMahon is really messed up now.

I think McMahon is now fine. He had some sort of blocked artery, or something like that, that they were finally able to diagnose last I knew they cleaned it out and he’s living a normal life.

Edited by Beast

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The "place where that happened" was inside the Dolphins locker room in their exam room, so yeah, nobody got footage of that.

something like this is what i meant, theres a bunch where McD and Tua both were laughing off the concussion and claiming the back injury

6 hours ago, Sweats said:

I know when i had to have neck surgery, the doctors made me sign a waiver that they would not be held liable if they damaged some nerves and i ended up paralyzed........seems reassuring, doesn't it?

I didn't sign it and they wouldn't do the surgery until i signed it.......it's been 8 years and counting where i am still waiting to have the surgery.

They won't do the surgery until i sign and i ain't signing it.

Maybe you don’t need surgery.

• Agree 1