Tua’s Broken Dome (now being placed on IR-out at least 4 games)

RunTheBall

4 hours ago, Beast said:

Sure they have. However, concussions effect everyone differently. I have been watching football for 50 years and have only seen players T-Rex on the field about 4 or 5 times. 2 of those have been Tua.

I've never seen it other than Tua...who else did that happen to?

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I've never seen it other than Tua...who else did that happen to?

TV coverage in the past 10 years has become incredible.

every player, angle, bench, etc… is on camera every single play.

in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, TV coverage is nothing like now, can’t even be compared.

You can be sure there were many similar situations, and worse, just not within camera shot.

3 minutes ago, Savage said:

TV coverage in the past 10 years has become incredible.

every player, angle, bench, etc… is on camera every single play.

in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, TV coverage is nothing like now, can’t even be compared.

You can be sure there were many similar situations, and worse, just not within camera shot.

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that back in the 50s or 60s a player died on the field and they just took him off and kept playing. Until Hamlin technically "died" he was the only one.

Edited by Big Turk

Just now, Big Turk said:

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that back in the 50s or 60s a player died on the field and they just took him off and kept playing.

It wouldn’t surprise me.

it also wouldn’t surprise me if it happened now, if the NFL was actually capable of sweeping it under the carpet, like they are doing to Tua.

a hell of a shame what is happening to that kid.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Hes a football coach. Not a life coach or a doctor. His job is to win football games.

If the doctors clear him, he has to go by that. If he didn't , then he's not built out to be an nfl coach 

Dave Mason time.  The medical clearance was bull####, and that doesn't let McDaniel, the Fish, or the NFL off the hook.

6 hours ago, Success said:

I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one:  haven't other players (including Mitch Morse) had more concussions than Tua?

I don't recall any of Morse's being so obvious watching on TV as Tua's have been.   And he's a center so not all the publicity about it.  That's the problem the league and the Dolphins have, this  is being publicized so much.  I doubt the league could force him to retire so are kind of foced to leave the choice up to Tua.

57 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Dave Mason time.  The medical clearance was bull####, and that doesn't let McDaniel, the Fish, or the NFL off the hook.

If you're an nfl coach during live game action, your thoughts are on the game. There are 100 things going on and you can't be a therapist with injuries.

If the doctor green lights him, you put him in. It's really as simple as that.

• Disagree 3

31 minutes ago, Beast said:

I can’t remember names….college and pro. Like you I’ve watched many, many games.

At SOME point, if the same guy keeps showing up in the highlights, somebody should take special notice. 

But I honestly don’t know how they can tell a player who is cleared he can’t play. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hamlin received CPR during a game, and his return was the feel good story of the decade, despite medical science still knowing exactly happened to him (commotio cordis is a diagnosis of exclusion).  Countless players have taken that same hit over the history of the league, how many went into cardiac arrest on the field?

Yet everyone was saying he should play "if they clear him", ignoring the fact that their is no way for any medical evaluator to determine whether he is prone to this, or at higher risk of recurrence.

they should have cut him?

Concussions have a cumulative traumatic effect on the brain.  Concussions that occur is close proximity of time generally have more of a traumatic effect.  Exposing Tua to the repetitive concussions doesn't guarantee a horrible long term outcome but it does stack the odds against him.  People that express concern about his well being don't all hold the opinion that he should be forced into retirement.  It is his decision to make and I believe he will continue to play because the draw of the money is so intoxicating.  Fans will continue to watch him play but when he retires, few if any, will care about his quality of life after football.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that back in the 50s or 60s a player died on the field and they just took him off and kept playing. Until Hamlin technically "died" he was the only one.

I linked it up thread.  It was 1971.  There wasn’t much time left in the game and yeah, they kept playing.

3 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

If you're an nfl coach during live game action, your thoughts are on the game. There are 100 things going on and you can't be a therapist with injuries.

If the doctor green lights him, you put him in. It's really as simple as that.

I do agree with that.  But then, you’re watching film, you can watch the film of your “beloved” QB concussion and say “whoa, buddy let’s get you mor thoroughly evaluated” so I also agree that McDaniel still has responsibility

Edited by Beck Water

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I linked it up thread.  It was 1971.  There wasn’t much time left in the game and yeah, they kept playing.

I do agree with that.  But then, you’re watching film, you can watch the film of your “beloved” QB concussion and say “whoa, buddy let’s get you mor thoroughly evaluated” so I also agree that McDaniel still has responsibility

I hear you.

But if I'm the head coach..

And doctors clear him. I'm going with what the doctors say and I'm playing my guy

I personally think this responsibility 100 percent falls on the doctors

Edited by BillsFan130

On 9/14/2024 at 10:27 AM, RunTheBall said:

IDK if this needs its own thread, I didn’t see one that seemed to fit, but feel free to merge it if appropriate.

I’m a doc, not a brain doc, but I’ve got enough experience with traumatic brain injury that I think I can opine with some credibility. I’ve always disliked Miami as a franchise but ever since 2022 I’ve had a searing hatred for them because I think they put Tua’s life in danger. 

The decision to allow Tua to play that Thursday night game after he got his first concussion against the Bills on a Sunday was criminal. When Tua fell/stumbled off the field and they said it was back spasms the NFL should have stepped in and said “WTF are you even thinking?!” That second concussion he suffered where he was fencing on the ground was the one that significantly scrambled his brain and has the potential to be life altering. Despite what that clown David Chao says, a fencing response is an indicator of a SEVERE concussion. You don’t get a fencing response on a minor concussion. What’s happening is near seizure like activity leading to spasticity and uncontrolled limb movements. 

We saw a fencing response from Tua again on Thursday night on what should have been a very minor head bonk. The reason Tua suffered another severe concussion on a minor hit was because his brain was significantly damaged back in 2022 and he’s highly vulnerable to future concussions and brain damage. There’s no question in my mind Tua should walk away from the game with his guaranteed millions and enjoy the rest of his life as healthy as he can. 

Miami is a disgusting franchise. The reason McDaniels looked so shell shocked on Thursday is because he knows he’s partially responsible for Tua’s marshmallow cranium. Every person who said it was ok for Tua to play that Thursday night in 2022, including the docs who signed off on it, should have been fired, and at the very least feel immense shame for what they did to Tua.

They should be held liable if and when the symptoms begin. I’m talking serious law suits including the Dolphins organization for allowing this to continue..but that’s my opinion.

Too bad, we as fans, cannot start a petition asking the NFL to step in and force him to retire.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1