Tua’s Broken Dome (now being placed on IR-out at least 4 games)

RunTheBall

1 hour ago, Saxum said:

Bills had a player Mark Kelso's who had repeated problems with concussions and did not have one after getting "Giant Helmet".

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/7/3/3134086/nfl-concussion-litigation-mark-kelso-buffalo-bills

The idea that helmets can prevent concussions is simply inaccurate. They offer minimal protection at best. 

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I've been under the assumption that there have been injury settlement negotiations going on behind the scenes. It feels like Tua and the Fish are playing a game of chicken. If Tua's is not allowed to play because of his injury, he gets paid. If he quits because of his injury, he doesn't. So far, neither side is flinching, and the NFL has declined to get involved (which is tantamount to siding with the Dolphins).

And still, Grier, and the Dolphins have done nothing to shore up their porous O-line, and give Tua some modicum of protection. Instead, they will continue with their get-the-ball-out-of-your-hands-as-fast-as-humaly-possible offensive scheme. Maybe they're hoping that opposing defenses will be easy on him, rather than take the risk of killing someone on the field?

There’s a contractual agreement between two parties.  Both understood the contract and agreed to it.  Tua had all the medical information he wanted from team and/or personal doctors.  How is a third party not getting involved “siding” with either?

14 minutes ago, Saxum said:

NFLPA is against most safety changes.   Such change proposed over 10 years ago would have empirical data about head collisions.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-expert-frustrated-helmet-technology-not-in-use-09000d5d82a16e67

Interesting.  I guess faulty data from systems like that could take some money out of player's pockets (contract negotiations) and unnecessarily remove a player from the field that feels fine.  The NFL as a whole would suffer because more star players would be ruled out of games.  Too much potential money lost so they're trying everything under the sun to prevent concussions besides that.

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

There’s a contractual agreement between two parties.  Both understood the contract and agreed to it.  Tua had all the medical information he wanted from team and/or personal doctors.  How is a third party not getting involved “siding” with either?

My only point is that if the NFL were to pressure the Dolphins into releasing Tua for health reasons (which is not an unreasonable stance) then that works to Tua's advantage. Tua's next concussion could be very serious, and a very bad look for the NFL-- a PR nightmare. But, the NFL also wants to maintain parity, and releasing Tua puts the Dolphins on the hook for a lot of coin.

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

My only point is that if the NFL were to pressure the Dolphins into releasing Tua for health reasons (which is not an unreasonable stance) then that works to Tua's advantage. Tua's next concussion could be very serious, and a very bad look for the NFL-- a PR nightmare. But, the NFL also wants to maintain parity, and releasing Tua puts the Dolphins on the hook for a lot of coin.

Signing an extension for Tua with those type of guarantees was dumb based upon previous injury history and dumbest other than Browns' contract.  Tue could have gotten an insurance contract paying for lost wages as other players have done but premium would have been high. 

Phish rolled the dice and got snake eyes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

So why wear them then?

To prevent against other types of head injuries. 

Can you or anyone else here explain how a helmet prevents the brain from moving inside the cranium and smashing into the inside of the scalp? Because if they cant, which they don’t, then they only offer a modicum of protection against concussions. They do, however, protect against lacerations, facial injuries, blows to the head, etc. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Saxum said:

Signing an extension for Tua with those type of guarantees was dumb based upon previous injury history and dumbest other than Browns' contract.  Tue could have gotten an insurance contract paying for lost wages as other players have done but premium would have been high. 

Phish rolled the dice and got snake eyes.

And all while taking a step back on an already lousy O-line. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

It is his choice right now.  He (and the whole football world) knows what could happen.

I will bring up (once again) what bugs me some.  How does Tua's opponents handle this?

Nobody wants to be the guy to give him another concussion, but these defenders have a job to do.

Every defense wants to "rough up" the opposing QB and get him worried about throwing the ball.

Will they be treated differently because of Tua's situation?

How much more extra "protection" will the officials give him?

One can even see that this puts and added level of worry to the Miami Dolphins OL.

None of them want to be the guy to miss a block and get Tua's bell rung again.

It is for sure Tua's decision, but it affects a lot of other people too.

I think we are over thinking this.  Every play anyone could get seriously hurt.  I dont think anyone is thinking of Tua on the field.  You think of your own safety and making a play so you dont become replaceable.  We applaud insane hits and crushing blows but then act like we care so much about someone's specific concussion.  Meanwhile these guys are just destroying their brains.  I find the so called concern for Tua to be hypocritical. 

The Boston University CTE Center announced today that they have now diagnosed 345 former NFL players with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) out of 376 former players studied (91.7 percent).

One-third of former professional football players reported in a new survey that they believe they have the degenerative brain disease known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE.

There are approximately 0.41 concussions per NFL game of American football: 67.7% of concussions involve impact by another player’s helmet, 20.9% involve impact by other body regions (e.g., a knee), and 11.4% involve impact on the ground (29, 31, 32, 40). It has been reported that 9.3% of the concussions involved loss of consciousness and 2.4% of the concussions resulted in hospitalization. Most (92%) of the players who sustain a concussion return to practice in less than 7 days; fewer (69%) of the players who experience loss of consciousness return to practice in less than 7 days.

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I think we are over thinking this.  Every play anyone could get seriously hurt.  I dont think anyone is thinking of Tua on the field.  You think of your own safety and making a play so you dont become replaceable.  We applaud insane hits and crushing blows but then act like we care so much about someone's specific concussion.  Meanwhile these guys are just destroying their brains.  I find the so called concern for Tua to be hypocritical. 

The Boston University CTE Center announced today that they have now diagnosed 345 former NFL players with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) out of 376 former players studied (91.7 percent).

One-third of former professional football players reported in a new survey that they believe they have the degenerative brain disease known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE.

There are approximately 0.41 concussions per NFL game of American football: 67.7% of concussions involve impact by another player’s helmet, 20.9% involve impact by other body regions (e.g., a knee), and 11.4% involve impact on the ground (29, 31, 32, 40). It has been reported that 9.3% of the concussions involved loss of consciousness and 2.4% of the concussions resulted in hospitalization. Most (92%) of the players who sustain a concussion return to practice in less than 7 days; fewer (69%) of the players who experience loss of consciousness return to practice in less than 7 days.

I don't think I'm over thinking it at all.  I'm going to say Tua will get another concussion, and it may even be worse than the others.

RTP is a concern of every defensive player, and it will be much more in the spotlight when playing against Tua.

Ooof. I don't like it on a number of levels.

For one I really just want the Dolphins to be bad and Tua is undeniably better than the scrubs they've had in. I still think the Bills are the better team and will be even better than their last matchup (Cooper will have been in, defense is recovering) and the Bills just have a schematic advantage with what they like to do (Phins are below average vs the run in YPG and YPC, Bills zone D has been consistently containing Miami's offense the entire Tua era)

On a human level I don't want him dying on the field. I remember our collective horror and the horror of the players when Hamiln had his heart stop and that was far more a freak chance than another traumatic hit for Tua. I don't care so much that I wish that on Tua.

Finally, as a fan of football: hitting is part of the game. I legitimately thought some of the Rapp hits would get him thrown out considering how the refs were flagging Dawkins, Epenesa and TJ. Those jarring hits saved touchdowns and killed drives and they were completely legal. We watched Epenesa put on a clinic of a wrap up tackle, attempt to strip sack and then brace his fall before he hit the ground and then rolled off Rodgers and they STILL flagged him. Imagine what will happen when Tua is out there.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Finally, as a fan of football: hitting is part of the game. I legitimately thought some of the Rapp hits would get him thrown out considering how the refs were flagging Dawkins, Epenesa and TJ. Those jarring hits saved touchdowns and killed drives and they were completely legal. We watched Epenesa put on a clinic of a wrap up tackle, attempt to strip sack and then brace his fall before he hit the ground and then rolled off Rodgers and they STILL flagged him. Imagine what will happen when Tua is out there.

Notice Epenesa did not get fined for the hit.  It was a bogus call and Rodgers said so after the game.

Uggh I’m concerned for the kid. I give Miami credit for putting him on IR so there wasn’t any pressure to play him. It’s just a matter of time before it happens again. Hopefully it’s not a bad one and he decides to hang it up.

BTW, Josh definitely had his bell rung in the Houston game and I’m dumbfounded how he was allowed back into the game and wasn’t even placed in the protocol. I know they evaluated him but yikes.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Uggh I’m concerned for the kid. I give Miami credit for putting him on IR so there wasn’t any pressure to play him. It’s just a matter of time before it happens again. Hopefully it’s not a bad one and he decides to hang it up.

BTW, Josh definitely had his bell rung in the Houston game and I’m dumbfounded how he was allowed back into the game and wasn’t even placed in the protocol. I know they evaluated him but yikes.

This is just stupid ego on his part.