Tua’s Broken Dome (now being placed on IR-out at least 4 games)

RunTheBall

IDK if this needs its own thread, I didn’t see one that seemed to fit, but feel free to merge it if appropriate.

I’m a doc, not a brain doc, but I’ve got enough experience with traumatic brain injury that I think I can opine with some credibility. I’ve always disliked Miami as a franchise but ever since 2022 I’ve had a searing hatred for them because I think they put Tua’s life in danger. 

The decision to allow Tua to play that Thursday night game after he got his first concussion against the Bills on a Sunday was criminal. When Tua fell/stumbled off the field and they said it was back spasms the NFL should have stepped in and said “WTF are you even thinking?!” That second concussion he suffered where he was fencing on the ground was the one that significantly scrambled his brain and has the potential to be life altering. Despite what that clown David Chao says, a fencing response is an indicator of a SEVERE concussion. You don’t get a fencing response on a minor concussion. What’s happening is near seizure like activity leading to spasticity and uncontrolled limb movements. 

We saw a fencing response from Tua again on Thursday night on what should have been a very minor head bonk. The reason Tua suffered another severe concussion on a minor hit was because his brain was significantly damaged back in 2022 and he’s highly vulnerable to future concussions and brain damage. There’s no question in my mind Tua should walk away from the game with his guaranteed millions and enjoy the rest of his life as healthy as he can. 

Miami is a disgusting franchise. The reason McDaniels looked so shell shocked on Thursday is because he knows he’s partially responsible for Tua’s marshmallow cranium. Every person who said it was ok for Tua to play that Thursday night in 2022, including the docs who signed off on it, should have been fired, and at the very least feel immense shame for what they did to Tua.

• Like (+1) 23
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 27
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 18

This is a good topic for me to chime in one......

The Fins have been irresponsible with Tua's safety in the past......they know it, Tua knows it, the league knows it and yet, no one steps in.

The league promotes the concussion protocol, which they have upped their standards as of late and yet, a guy like Tua gets shrugged off and thrown back into the games.

The whole Fins organization should be ashamed of themselves, the league should get looked at and force Tua into retirement before he cripples himself.

Also, Tua's head dive on Thursday night was irresponsible from a guy with prior concussions. He should have slid, he was shown how to slide properly and i believe he was trying to play "hero ball", due to his 2 previous INT's and trying to do too much.

My 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

IDK if this needs its own thread, I didn’t see one that seemed to fit, but feel free to merge it if appropriate.

I’m a doc, not a brain doc, but I’ve got enough experience with traumatic brain injury that I think I can opine with some credibility. I’ve always disliked Miami as a franchise but ever since 2022 I’ve had a searing hatred for them because I think they put Tua’s life in danger. 

The decision to allow Tua to play that Thursday night game after he got his first concussion against the Bills on a Sunday was criminal. When Tua fell/stumbled off the field and they said it was back spasms the NFL should have stepped in and said “WTF are you even thinking?!” That second concussion he suffered where he was fencing on the ground was the one that significantly scrambled his brain and has the potential to be life altering. Despite what that clown David Chao says, a fencing response is an indicator of a SEVERE concussion. You don’t get a fencing response on a minor concussion. What’s happening is near seizure like activity leading to spasticity and uncontrolled limb movements. 

We saw a fencing response from Tua again on Thursday night on what should have been a very minor head bonk. The reason Tua suffered another severe concussion on a minor hit was because his brain was significantly damaged back in 2022 and he’s highly vulnerable to future concussions and brain damage. There’s no question in my mind Tua should walk away from the game with his guaranteed millions and enjoy the rest of his life as healthy as he can. 

Miami is a disgusting franchise. The reason McDaniels looked so shell shocked on Thursday is because he knows he’s partially responsible for Tua’s marshmallow cranium. Every person who said it was ok for Tua to play that Thursday night in 2022, including the docs who signed off on it, should have been fired, and at the very least feel immense shame for what they did to Tua.

I posted this the other day:

It makes me sick listening to McDaniel talk about his concern for Tua and how he cares about him.

Going back to 2022 when they put him back into the game after the “back injury” I still feel that if they “cared” so much about him that would not have happened.

I will always believe that he never truly recovered from that and the Dolphins and Mr, “Caring” McDaniel should share in the blame regarding Tua’s situation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sweats said:

This is a good topic for me to chime in one......

The Fins have been irresponsible with Tua's safety in the past......they know it, Tua knows it, the league knows it and yet, no one steps in.

The league promotes the concussion protocol, which they have upped their standards as of late and yet, a guy like Tua gets shrugged off and thrown back into the games.

The whole Fins organization should be ashamed of themselves, the league should get looked at and force Tua into retirement before he cripples himself.

Also, Tua's head dive on Thursday night was irresponsible from a guy with prior concussions. He should have slid, he was shown how to slide properly and i believe he was trying to play "hero ball", due to his 2 previous INT's and trying to do too much.

My 2 cents.

Absurd--they can't force a grown man to retire.  He is well aware of the risks he incurs by playing.  

Where were you threads screaming for the Bills to force Morse to retire after countless concussions.  Look at Micah Hyde--had 2 seasons in a row with serious neck injury, had a cervical fusion and needs another....yet many here are craving to put his safety and health aside and join the Bills for a playoff run!

The Dolphin hate I get...butthis as the justification for your hate?  Nah...seems drummed up.  Everyone so concerned for a divisional rival QB's health!

come on...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

The reason McDaniels looked so shell shocked on Thursday is because he knows he’s partially responsible for Tua’s marshmallow cranium.

I thought the same thing, that look on his face after it happened was one of worry for the future but also it seemed like it was setting in what he had ultimately done to this young QB he supposedly "loves".  Someone needs (im not capable) to make a montage video of Dolphins staff brushing off the concussion from two years ago as a "back injury", that was laughably false and everyone knew it

• Like (+1) 4

The big problem here is the nfl and there transgressions to legislation of gambling.  Many people always say it is all about the money 💰 well it is.  

We are the people and the fans that pay for all the overpriced merchandise beer and food.  And I am sorry $100 bucks to park a car.

Tuas family should speak out while they can and say how much is to much.  Play with your kids enjoy your life.

There are over 6 Dr's on this board and we have 1000 others that want to be.  But listen to the real ones and just walk away with your dignity.

I for one hate to see anyone hurt ever.  Life is the most wonderful gift of all don't ruin it by playing another down for rich corporate types that make millions off your work.

Thanks Dr for being this topic up.

Have a great weekend bills fans and spend time with your families.

FYI Dr I went to John Hopkins.  (If you have every heard of that one).  Humor

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Absurd--they can't force a grown man to retire.  He is well aware of the risks he incurs by playing.  

Where were you threads screaming for the Bills to force Morse to retire after countless concussions.  Look at Micah Hyde--had 2 seasons in a row with serious neck injury, had a cervical fusion and needs another....yet many here are craving to put his safety and health aside and join the Bills for a playoff run!

The Dolphin hate I get...butthis as the justification for your hate?  Nah...seems drummed up.  Everyone so concerned for a divisional rival QB's health!

come on...

Of course they can't "force" him to retire, but they can give him a little nudge.....they can definitely suggest to players and organizations and agents, when a player should start looking at retirement over health concerns.

Tua is one major hit away from drinking out of a sippy cup and riding the short bus the rest of his life......i don't wish that on anyone.

Where is the NFLPA on this?  Why are they not insisting that Tua wear one of those enhanced helmets?
NFLPA resists attempts to add additional safety equipment when NFL tries to add it because it might reduce chances of getting incentives.

They also defend players on fines imposed when players deliberately hurt other players outside of rules.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm glad that Tua got his bag from the Fish before this career-ending (should be) concussion.  They done him wrong in 2022, first sending him back into the Bills game (independent neurologist my ass, NFL), and then throwing him out there on TNF to be savaged by Cincinnati. 

Second impact syndrome is no joke.  Tua needs to retire while he still has some of his marbles.  Unfortunately, I don't think he will.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Just now, Sweats said:

Of course they can't "force" him to retire, but they can give him a little nudge.....they can definitely suggest to players and organizations and agents, when a player should start looking at retirement over health concerns.

Tua is one major hit away from drinking out of a sippy cup and riding the short bus the rest of his life......i don't wish that on anyone.

Based on the theory of the mechanism of injury for CTE, they all are---likely beginning well before the entered the NFL.  Years of repetitive impacts, large and tiny/unnoticed.   

Boxing and MMA are still hugely popular---all they do is punch and kick each other in the head.  Hockey still allows fighting--guy toss their gloves so they can properly punch other players in the head.  No one cares--"it's part of the game"...etc.  No one is forced to retire after getting knocked out (which is the goal of any fight).

Players and their agents and their organization have proven over and over that they are not concerned with this.  They refuse to adapt almost any serious efforts to mitigate injury (they won't were those helmet guards, they continue to cheap shot and head shot each other, etc). If they are not concerned, it's hard for me to be overly concerned.  There are countless workers who take on far more risk to their health/lives for a tiny fraction NFL money.  

My point is that there are a lot of crocodile tears being shed here for a rival team's player....

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Thank you for posting this. Hyde should have retired twice already in my opinion. The same with Morse.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

During the pre-game interviews, my wife asked me if something was wrong with Tua. He was incoherent before the game fwiw. He also looked unusually off that night with his game, not to take anything away from our D. 

Perhaps there was something wrong with him before that "hit". I say that because it wasn't even a hit. 

Either way, the bigger picture for me is how bad the Tua situation is for football - whether he quits (which he should) or stays. If we don't do more to protect players' brains, parents will continue to stop allowing their kids to even play football which obviously will be the death knell for the sport we all love. 

On another note, from what I have read, CTE is believed to be caused more by nonconcussive hits - i.e. the small everyday jarrings that every athlete, from football players to horseback riders experience - than concussive ones. The Army, for instance, is facing a wave of CTE from infantry who fire large artillery due to the blowback of these guns, which are more powerful than ever. In other words, concussions are bad but it's the small hits over time that cause more damage. 

Edited by Just in Atlanta
  • Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Based on the theory of the mechanism of injury for CTE, they all are---likely beginning well before the entered the NFL.  Years of repetitive impacts, large and tiny/unnoticed.   

Boxing and MMA are still hugely popular---all they do is punch and kick each other in the head.  Hockey still allows fighting--guy toss their gloves so they can properly punch other players in the head.  No one cares--"it's part of the game"...etc.  No one is forced to retire after getting knocked out (which is the goal of any fight).

Players and their agents and their organization have proven over and over that they are not concerned with this.  They refuse to adapt almost any serious efforts to mitigate injury (they won't were those helmet guards, they continue to cheap shot and head shot each other, etc). If they are not concerned, it's hard for me to be overly concerned.  There are countless workers who take on far more risk to their health/lives for a tiny fraction NFL money.  

My point is that there are a lot of crocodile tears being shed here for a rival team's player....

So I’m partially in agreement with you, in that these are adults who can make their own decisions.

But why do you mention crocodile tears and a rival team?  I think people are genuinely upset to see someone putting himself through life altering head injuries.  We’re a social and empathetic species and some things transcend which team you’re rooting for.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 6

7 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

When I saw McDaniel asking people not to bring up Tua’s future, I could only laugh. I immediately thought about that “back injury” and how complicit he and the Fins franchise are Tua’s situation.

I heard that interview.  It actually made me feel kind of itchy to know what he was censoring himself from saying.  McDaniel knows he won’t be an NFL head coach ever again if he advocates for his team’s guaranteed contract quarterback retiring, but I think part of him really wanted to anyway.  I heard some self loathing.

• Like (+1) 1

It seems to me that everyone has a responsibility to get this right.

Tua, the Miami Dolphins organization, the NFL, the NFLPA and the doctors all have some skin in this game.

Football itself has come under fire for these issues so it should not be solely Tua's choice.

There is more at stake than just his health.  They all better think twice about putting him out on the field and consider what will

happen if he is permanently injured during another football game.  The doctors have a major responsibility in letting everyone

know what the true risks are in no uncertain terms.

On another note, I want to say they also better give some consideration to the players that will have to play against Tua if he is cleared

to play.  I felt sorry for Damar and actually watched his reaction after it was clear Tua was concussed.  He walked away into the endzone

and looked shook as one would expect.  How will it be for the next player who hits him feel especially if the injury is even more severe.

The NFLPA should be considering that too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

It took them six minutes to "decide" Tua had a concussion, a conclusion anyone could have come to within 5 seconds. Don't care that most of us are not "medical experts" man hits his head, goes unconscious, crumbles up and initiates an automatic "fencing pose," you can't hide that. Why did it take so long for the official word?? Because that is five minutes trying to invent some excuse as to why what is obviously a concussion was not a concussion -pay some fake team Dr. Nick Riviera to say "it's only soft tissue damage to-the hip" and cart him right back out there, in a desperation attempt to win a game that they needed to win, just like two years ago.  I don't want our team to be responsible for the death of a player-Miami has to do the right thing. I live in Florida though, and I can attest "doing the right thing" and "Florida" are just not congruent in this tropic dystopia. We look pretty. Everything else is a moral abyss.

It sucks it happened but Tua's a grown man and can make his own decisions.  I get trying to hide a concussion in the Bills game in 2022 but after the Bengals game, he should have re-evaluated his life.  He decided to keep playing and survived last season without a concussion.  Now if he continues to play, it's all on him.

• Like (+1) 5