The QB school - Josh Allen Week 2 analysis - JT O'Sullivan

Fixxxer

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Incredible throws for sure. The Cook throw is pretty standard though.  Yeah it may get tipped but its still a pretty standard throw that happens all the time from any QB. I still don't view it as an MVP performance. To me an MVP carried the team. Cook carried the offense this week. The defense kinda carried the team getting 3 turnovers, pick 6, and giving us short fields.  Of course, to the people who vote, pretty much all that matters is who was the better 1 seed.

Of course Josh can still have an MVP season and I think he will, but this specific game I wouldnt call it that.  This is the typical game for Lamar almost every week last year.

But what if he doesn't make those throws and the Bills end up losing?

Just a rhetorical question.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I mean there are what like maybe 3-4 truely innovating Coordinators in the league.  Three of them are head coaches.  Expecting us to hire some innovative super nerd is asking a bit much.  I dont care about innovation.  I just want the offense to make sense.  This offense makes sense. Unlike Dorseys.

I also want to point out to the people that complained Josh didnt hit Diggs for the first down and instead tried to make a harder pass to Shakir for a TD last year.... aint none of you complained he didnt take the easier first down here.  This is the TD play to Ty.  He had Knox for a much easier FD.

Screenshot-2024-09-14-160551.png

Ya but f Ramsey 

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

But what if he doesn't make those throws and the Bills end up losing?

Just a rhetorical question.

Im gonna answer anyways.  You can say that about any QB in any game. Doesnt mean it was an MVP performance.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

@HappyDays

First play- O’Sullivan says- 

Absolutel gorgeous offensive execution and design-  it’s just high level football.  

not football 101

- the Samuel underthrow-  Brady got a LB on Samuel- clear mismatch.  Should’ve been a TD. Poor throw.  

Saw this on the replay.  The ball hit the defender on the back.  Samuel never had a shot at it

6 hours ago, Simon said:

Yeah, he had a guy around his knees and sort of short-armed it.

Getting it out a split second earlier wouldn't have hurt either.

To your point, at 6:09 in the video

josh osullivan film.jpg

Josh finished the throw hopping on one leg, so you could tell he didn't get the platform he wanted.

There was something odd to me about how Samuel ran his route - could you watch it and tell me what he's doing?

It's like he slowed to watch a couple times, did he have several windows?

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

There was something odd to me about how Samuel ran his route - could you watch it and tell me what he's doing?

It's like he slowed to watch a couple times, did he have several windows

My guess would be that Samuel assumed if he was getting the ball it would be coming in around the 5-10 yrd line but since Allen didn't settle on him until he'd given up on his first read, the ball comes in a bit late and deeper than he anticipated.

I think he wanted Knox on the skinny post but Ramsey and the LB did not play the coverage the way he was expecting so he tried to take advantage of the LB on Samuel at the last second but the timing was off and the throw was also affected by a defender around his lower legs.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think what is yet to be tested is can they win a true shootout. A game where it is clear at half time you might need to score every time you touch the ball second half and the run is taken out of it a bit and they have to be a volume passing offense. We haven't seen that. Houston is the week I think we might.

I worry about that.  Brady is getting a lot of points on the board with a balanced attack.  But I'm still not sold on his abilities as a pass game coordinator.  

If we get into a shootout, or if a defense starts focusing on the run, can Brady consistently get guys open downfield?   To me, that remains an open question.  

56 minutes ago, Simon said:

My guess would be that Samuel assumed if he was getting the ball it would be coming in around the 5-10 yrd line but since Allen didn't settle on him until he'd given up on his first read, the ball comes in a bit late and deeper than he anticipated.

I think he wanted Knox on the skinny post but Ramsey and the LB did not play the coverage the way he was expecting so he tried to take advantage of the LB on Samuel at the last second but the timing was off and the throw was also affected by a defender around his lower legs.

O’Sullivan seemed to feel the LB on Samuel shoulda been the go to matchup all along?

31 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

O’Sullivan seemed to feel the LB on Samuel shoulda been the go to matchup all along?

He would certainly know better than me.

I was just guessing based on where Allen was reading it and wondering if maybe he thought that LB was going to carry Knox up the seam and Ramsey was going to stay outside with Samuel. I thought maybe that was why Allen stayed with Knox for as long as he did and then switched to Samuel when the coverage surprised him.

54 minutes ago, Simon said:

He would certainly know better than me.

I was just guessing based on where Allen was reading it and wondering if maybe he thought that LB was going to carry Knox up the seam and Ramsey was going to stay outside with Samuel. I thought maybe that was why Allen stayed with Knox for as long as he did and then switched to Samuel when the coverage surprised him.

Yeah, I dunno.  It was Kincaid, not Knox - and to my eyes teams have been paying Kincaid a lot of attention, maybe seeing him as the best receiving option left on the team?  Ramsey peeled off to go with him PDQ.  You're correct that Josh's eyes were on Kincaid for a while but was that trying to manipulate coverage?

O'Sullivan does seem to agree with you that if Josh had gotten the ball out just a bit sooner (he points at footwork) it's a TD.  (And if Dawkins got a bit better block on his guy and kept him away from Allen's legs, likewise.)

The route still looks odd to me.  Maybe that the timing was off a bit on Samuel's part - it looked like it was designed for Kincaid to 'rub' the linebacker a bit and hinder him from getting over to cover Samuel.  Maybe asking Samuel to run the route starting 5 yds in the backfield is too big of an ask?  This is one of these things where I see something but I don't know what I'm seeing.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I worry about that.  Brady is getting a lot of points on the board with a balanced attack.  But I'm still not sold on his abilities as a pass game coordinator.  

If we get into a shootout, or if a defense starts focusing on the run, can Brady consistently get guys open downfield?   To me, that remains an open question.  

And that comes down to the players as well. Do we have the personnel to separate downfield? Through two weeks I don't see much downfield separation on tape.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen causes more analysts to throw their hands up, shake their head, or just laugh out loud than any player I can ever remember.

Especially guys who have played pro football, and especially former quarterbacks. They know firsthand how insane the plays he makes are, how impossible those plays should be to make, and how ridiculous it is that he makes them.

This video also highlighted at least two occasions where arm strength really does matter in the NFL. There's a common misconception that it's about how far you can throw it or how good your deep ball is, when that's not it at all. Arm strength is about fitting it into tight windows, making far hash throws, hitting a receiver in the honey hole between the corner and safety, those types of things. The down-the-middle throw to Shakir in the middle of three defenders and the throw to the far hash hitch to beat the blitz illustrate exactly why arm strength matters. So, incidentally, did Tua's failed throwaway attempt that went for six Bills points.

Josh is one of one. Unicorn.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Saw this on the replay.  The ball hit the defender on the back.  Samuel never had a shot at it

Yeah- bad throw 💯 

but the play call, getting him matched up with the LB was a great one.  

hopefully we can find a way to utilize Samuel better than we have to date.  I’m sure we will