The QB school - Josh Allen Week 2 analysis - JT O'Sullivan

Fixxxer

@HappyDays

First play- O’Sullivan says- 

Absolutel gorgeous offensive execution and design-  it’s just high level football.  

not football 101

- the Samuel underthrow-  Brady got a LB on Samuel- clear mismatch.  Should’ve been a TD. Poor throw.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

@HappyDays

Absolutel gorgeous offensive execution and design-  it’s just high level football.  

not football 101

- the Samuel overthrow-  Brady got a LB on Samuel- clear mismatch.  Should’ve been a TD. Poor throw.  

Yea Samuel has his guy beat if Allen gets it out in front. But I would wanna see Samuel fight back better for the ball to try and draw a flag and his size possibly limits him from that.

• Agree 4

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

not football 101

Those concepts are football 101 (pick routes and motion) but that isn't an insult. Brady gets all the credit from me for using those concepts to design a great play, having his players ready to execute it perfectly, and calling it at the perfect time.

Like I've said the best thing Brady has done since taking over is getting the offense back to fundamentals and eliminating its boom or bust nature. The play calling feels a lot more intentional than whatever Dorsey was trying to do near the end of his time here. All of the players are being asked to do things that actually fit into their skill set. 

Reminds me of this post I made last year (had to dig to find it):

• Like (+1) 2

I always enjoy his analysis although I'd rather he do it in slow motion rather than multiple times of same film.

I do not know if JT O'Sullivan has a regular job anymore (last job listed in wiki is high school coach) or is retired but I think some team should grab him for their film room.  He appears better as analyst than fast reaction which is why he did not succeed as a player.

On 9/12/2024 at 9:54 PM, HappyDays said:

Agreed on McDermott, masterclass from his defense tonight. He has McDaniel's number.

I will be a wet blanket about Brady though. Thought it was a middling night from him. I still see very little creativity from his offense. Too vanilla for my liking, a lot of times he is asking the players to just win their matchups without using the scheme to help them. He continues to not use play action appropriately. I see a large gap between him and the top offensive coaches in this league.

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Those concepts are football 101 (pick routes and motion) but that isn't an insult. Brady gets all the credit from me for using those concepts to design a great play, having his players ready to execute it perfectly, and calling it at the perfect time.

Like I've said the best thing Brady has done since taking over is getting the offense back to fundamentals and eliminating its boom or bust nature. The play calling feels a lot more intentional than whatever Dorsey was trying to do near the end of his time here. All of the players are being asked to do things that actually fit into their skill set. 

Reminds me of this post I made last year (had to dig to find it):

Yet they are actually getting schemed open….and not just beating their matchups.  

cook was wide open because of the scheme.  Samuel had his man beat because of the scheme.  I haven’t combed through the entire game, but I’d bet that there were several people open partly due to the scheme.  

I’m not completely sold on him either, but he’s been impressive (to me) vs 2 poor defenses.  Just have to see it work vs the best defenses, because those are the teams we’ll be facing in the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yet they are actually getting schemed open….and not just beating their matchups.  

cook was wide open because of the scheme.  Samuel had his man beat because of the scheme.  I haven’t combed through the entire game, but I’d bet that there were several people open partly due to the scheme.  

I’m not completely sold on him either, but he’s been impressive (to me) vs 2 poor defenses.  Just have to see it work vs the best defenses, because those are the teams we’ll be facing in the playoffs. 

I regret saying it was a middling night. That's not a fair characterization. But nor do I believe it was a coaching clinic. I don't see innovation. Players are by and large just being asked to win their assignments. And that's fine. The players are at least being given assignments that their skill sets allow them to have a chance of winning. I'll take that over Dorsey who was, for example, asking Gabe Davis and Josh Allen to try and read an option route the same way even though it was as likely to result in an INT as a completion. Or asking Diggs to get YAC on bubble screens. No doubt we have vastly improved on his grab bag play sheet.

The 4th and 3 TD is a great example of a play where no one had to win their assignment, just run a pick play without making it too obvious to draw a penalty, deliver the pass and catch the ball. That's great stuff from Brady. He's still relatively young and inexperienced too. He has time to grow into an elite offensive coach. There are signs that the potential is there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

49 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Wasn't it an underthrow?

Yeah, he had a guy around his knees and sort of short-armed it.

Getting it out a split second earlier wouldn't have hurt either.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I regret saying it was a middling night. That's not a fair characterization. But nor do I believe it was a coaching clinic. I don't see innovation. Players are by and large just being asked to win their assignments. And that's fine. The players are at least being given assignments that their skill sets allow them to have a chance of winning. I'll take that over Dorsey who was, for example, asking Gabe Davis and Josh Allen to try and read an option route the same way even though it was as likely to result in an INT as a completion. Or asking Diggs to get YAC on bubble screens. No doubt we have vastly improved on his grab bag play sheet.

The 4th and 3 TD is a great example of a play where no one had to win their assignment, just run a pick play without making it too obvious to draw a penalty, deliver the pass and catch the ball. That's great stuff from Brady. He's still relatively young and inexperienced too. He has time to grow into an elite offensive coach. There are signs that the potential is there.

so in order to conduct a coaching clinic, one must be innovative?  That doesn’t compute.  Putting players in position to do what they do best is a big part of it being a clinic.  Not trying to be too cute (aka innovative) is also part of it being a clinic.  

again, I’m not completely sold yet-  let’s see how he does vs a great defense.  He’s faced two poor defenses with zero pass rush and terrible LBs so far.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

so in order to conduct a coaching clinic, one must be innovative?  That doesn’t compute.

What Daboll did to the Pats in the wildcard game was a coaching clinic. I'll say what McDermott/Babich did to the Dolphins offense was one as well, and has been in pretty much every matchup we've had against them in the McDermott era.

It doesn't really matter though, does it? It's just semantics ultimately. I wish Joe Brady was Kyle Shanahan or Ben Johnson but they aren't showing up at One Bills Drive tomorrow. Coaching the basics is like 80% of a good gameplan. He's the first OC we've had in the Josh Allen era that consistently comes into games attempting to exploit the opponents' weaknesses. Like against the Cardinals, the book on them was that they have a league-worst caliber run defense. I've seen our former OCs in recent years come into that game and inexplicably go pass-heavy which inevitably means the offense never finds any kind of rhythm. You could argue Brady went to the run a little too frequently especially after the Cardinals adjusted to it, but I'd rather see that than a disjointed offense that seemingly has no gameplan. Against the Dolphins it is obvious that Coleman vs Ramsey is a terrible matchup, so we stayed away from it entirely. I don't take any of this for granted. Too many coaches outthink themselves and I appreciate that Brady keeps it simple.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Overrated.

These were the type of games that got Lamar called a fraud MVP by a lot of folks here. 

as a guy who thinks Lamar is pretty good, that was BS and it would be BS to use this against Allen.  They stomped that team and he didn’t have to do anything in the second half. That’s what the Ravens did last year. It’s why I think Allen can be a MVP with much worst numbers. 

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What Daboll did to the Pats in the wildcard game was a coaching clinic. I'll say what McDermott/Babich did to the Dolphins offense was one as well, and has been in pretty much every matchup we've had against them in the McDermott era.

It doesn't really matter though, does it? It's just semantics ultimately. I wish Joe Brady was Kyle Shanahan or Ben Johnson but they aren't showing up at One Bills Drive tomorrow. Coaching the basics is like 80% of a good gameplan. He's the first OC we've had in the Josh Allen era that consistently comes into games attempting to exploit the opponents' weaknesses. Like against the Cardinals, the book on them was that they have a league-worst caliber run defense. I've seen our former OCs in recent years come into that game and inexplicably go pass-heavy which inevitably means the offense never finds any kind of rhythm. You could argue Brady went to the run a little too frequently especially after the Cardinals adjusted to it, but I'd rather see that than a disjointed offense that seemingly has no gameplan. Against the Dolphins it is obvious that Coleman vs Ramsey is a terrible matchup, so we stayed away from it entirely. I don't take any of this for granted. Too many coaches outthink themselves and I appreciate that Brady keeps it simple.

See when I watch the Lions what I see from Ben Johnson is exactly how you have described Brady. I don't think Johnson is an innovator particularly. His run scheme is a bit more creative but his pass scheme is pretty basic. What he does exceptionally well is he coaches to the skillset of the players he has. He doesn't ask St Brown to be an outside, vertical receiver. He doesn't ask Goff to make corner route throws into tight windows between safety and corner. He doesn't ask Jahmyr Gibbs to run between the tackles (or Montgomery really to run outside them). He leans into what his talent does well. If Williams is truly breaking out as another weapon they will be even better because he has a skillset Johnson hasn't had so far. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

These were the type of games that got Lamar called a fraud MVP by a lot of folks here. 

as a guy who thinks Lamar is pretty good, that was BS and it would be BS to use this against Allen.  They stomped that team and he didn’t have to do anything in the second half. That’s what the Ravens did last year. It’s why I think Allen can be a MVP with much worst numbers. 

You don’t think I was serious do you when I typed “Overrated.”?  Not sure if this reply is because you think that wasn’t sarcastic or if you know that and you’re just more initiating some convo.  To be clear, mine was a sarcastic comment.

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

The 4th and 3 plays are the kind of play calls Mahomes has benefitted from basically his whole career with Reid, especially in the red zone.

Its really nice that Brady has some

things In his bag of tricks that basically require Allen to do little besides make a quick pass.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3