A Few Thoughts about the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

15 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

No way am i ready to hand that title over. People forgot how nasty he was 2020, but solid 3 years for us.

~100 catches ~1k yards. He WAS our run game. The human first down. I think Shakir has potential to be better, but it's gunna take a ton to get there. Consistent high output, every game. I'd love to see it happen. Prime Cole was so fun, dude would have people pulling their hair out after every 3rd & 7. Kept defense fresh too

Oh dont get me wrong, I loved prime Cole.  But if you give Shakir the same number of targets as Cole I guarantee he gets more yards, first downs, YAC, TD's and probably with a higher catch rate too.

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He is already a better player than Beasley was, and that is not a knock on Beasley, but more a testament to Shakir.  Beasely did not have the same strength and YAC chops that Shakir does.  Shakir is a far more dangerous player than Cole was.  Both these guys are major move the chains weapons when needed a completion, but Shakir brings a whole other level or gear than Cole ever had with the ball in his hands, not to mention, Cole was really only effective short areas of the field where Shakir can attack all 3 zones.  

I really love what Beasley symbolized in this franchise's revival but I agree with you. Especially in YAC where Beas was almost a non-entity.

7 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

The Dolphins D-line definitely took a big hit with the losses of Wilkins, and Chubb. But no one in the media seems to talk about their loss of Van Ginkle. He was a difference maker for them. Huge loss.

At least they have Odell Beckham Jr.

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I must have missed Hill and Waddle temper tantrum?

Yes, this is the first I've heard of this. Were they mad at each other?

7 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

I'll just pile into your thread but to me, from first snap to final whistle the best player on the Bills defense was Christian Benford. Every time I looked up he was defending a pass, blanketing one of the speed threats, dumping runners to the turf, and even catching a ball. It was the best CB performance I've seen from anyone on any team so far this year.

Benford is an All Pro quality player. The only thing he's done wrong in his career is to miss games due to injury.

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

If I have one criticism of the Bills in this game, I’d have liked to see a better gameplan to run out the clock than simply rushing up the middle on nearly every play.  Short controlled passing with high completion % is in the playbook and utilized consistently.  I’d like to see some of those patterns run late in games like this one as well.

I have to disagree. 1) I don't want pass rushers hunting Josh for no real good reason 2) I don't want incompletions stopping the clock 3) I don't want to unveil any passing plays if not necessary

6 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

We've never had the same combination in the secondary when playing the McDaniel Dolphins - hell we haven't even had the same starting safety duo once. *****, we haven't even had 1 player who has played the majority of the snaps in every game...

The results turn out to be pretty much the same every time.We are their woes. 

2022 Week 3, Bills @ Dolphins (21-19 L)

Damar Hamlin (100%)
Jaquan Johnson (100%)

Kaiir Elam (100%)

Taron Johnson (100%)

Ja'Marcus Ingram (56%)

Tagovailoa

13-20

1-0

2022 Week 15, Dolphins @ Bills (32-29 W)

Jordan Poyer (100%)

Damar Hamlin (100%)

Tre'Davious White (100%)

Taron Johnson (100%)

Dane Jackson (53%)

Tagovailoa

17-30

2-0

2022 Wild Card Round, Dolphins @ Bills (34-31 W)

Jordan Poyer (100%)

Dean Marlowe (100%)

Tre'Davious White (100%)

Taron Johnson (100%)

Kaiir Elam (62%)

Thompson

18-45

1-2

2023 Week 4, Dolphins @ Bills (48-20 W)

Taylor Rapp (100%)

Micah Hyde (100%)

Taron Johnson (86%)

Dane Jackson (75%)

Tre'Davious White (72%)

Tagovailoa
25-35

1-1

2023 Week 18, Bills @ Dolphins (21-14 W)

Jordan Poyer (100%)

Micah Hyde (100%)

Taron Johnson (100%)

Christian Benford (100%)

Dane Jackson (52%)

Tagovailoa

17-27

1-2

2024 Week 2, Bills @ Dolphins (31-10 W)

Christian Benford (100%)

Cameron Lewis (92%)

Taylor Rapp (92%)

Damar Hamlin (92%)

Rasul Douglas (92%)

Tagovailoa/Thompson

25-39

1-3

Dolphins QBs vs the Bills under Mike McDaniel average...

58% Completion 

220 Yards Passing Per Game

1.2 TD Per Game

1.3 INT Per Game

Thank you for this great work!

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

Cooper sees himself as a #1 and would be unhappy here with how we distribute.  As of now, there’s no reason to believe we need an upgrade at WR 

Outside WR is definitely the biggest weakness on offense right now. We've done a good job hiding it but that is a tough vulnerability to get away with for an entire season. Trading for someone like Cooper or Metcalf or Hopkins is still the dream IMO. It's the kind of move a team makes when they realize they have a real shot at a championship and need one more splash to get across the finish line. Like the Rams did with Von Miller a few years ago.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

I had a ton of confidence in the offense going into the season. Thought we'd be very successful there.

I was deeply worried about the D. So far the defenders have really showed the league some things about themselves. The players have stepped up pretty much without exception. And McD's scheme has continued to show that it can hold teams down even when a few of it's best players are down, and that's not so usual.

It's a long season, but man, so far so good, even on D.

• Like (+1) 1

Was the Allen throw to Ty Johnson on 3rd and 12 to set up first and goal at the one, one of Allen's top 5 throws of his career? That was an unbelievable across the body throw. 

51 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I had a ton of confidence in the offense going into the season. Thought we'd be very successful there.

I was deeply worried about the D. So far the defenders have really showed the league some things about themselves. The players have stepped up pretty much without exception. And McD's scheme has continued to show that it can hold teams down even when a few of it's best players are down, and that's not so usual.

It's a long season, but man, so far so good, even on D.

Agreed. The secondary is playing absolutely lights out and the D-line is playing as well as advertised. If these two units can continue to play at a high level it will cover up our weakness at LB with the injuries. 

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, it was amazing.  Amazing how everything shut down in the second half.  

McDaniel in his press conference was almost totally incoherent talking about Tua.  I don't think he even knows what he's thinking.   He was lost.  

I have trouble seeing a guy with his personality and his overly-analytical style succeeding as a leader of men in this league.   He's an odd guy. 

Anyone else have a lot of trouble with prime.  There were instantaneous freezes throughout the game - either the video or the audio or both stopped for a few seconds.  I had a few total freezes where I had to log out and log back in.  But, of course, all the commercials ran fine.  

Yes! Same issues. I can't believe how poorly their productions are and that the NFL lets them get away with this. They are not equipped to handle NFL games.

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

McDaniel in his press conference was almost totally incoherent talking about Tua.  I don't think he even knows what he's thinking.   He was lost.  

I have trouble seeing a guy with his personality and his overly-analytical style succeeding as a leader of men in this league.   He's an odd guy. 

Anyone else have a lot of trouble with prime.  There were instantaneous freezes throughout the game - either the video or the audio or both stopped for a few seconds.  I had a few total freezes where I had to log out and log back in.  But, of course, all the commercials ran fine.  

Yeah, I wondered what the veteran Miami players thought when they met McDaniel for the first time after he was hired.  WTF?!

2 hours ago, Repulsif said:

in a game, as soon as I see JA wanting to go Superman in every down, i feel this is gonna be a hard game, and it's a tell for a very possible loss

JA never went superman in this game

I think he was likely told not to run with that injured left hand.

14 hours ago, Logic said:

Added bonus: How 'bout them UB boys, eh? Jamarcus Ingram looks like a FIND at corner, and Cam Lewis has taken a lot of the sting out of losing Taron Johnson. The Bulls-to-Bills pipeline looking strong in 2024!

Yeah, I really noticed it, even before the announcers said anything.

The Bulls should have plenty to crow about during recruiting. Come here, we've got a pipeline to the Bills and it isn't just guys barely making the roster, it's guys contributing in the NFL without having been highly touted recruits.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BobbyC81 said:

I think he was likely told not to run with that injured left hand.

This is funny. 

“Don’t you dare run Josh” 

🤣

or what?? 

josh has all the power. He makes more than the entire staff combined. They all have jobs because of him. He is the franchise. 

Edited by Shortchaz

2 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Can we talk about the Josh Allen throw to Ty Johnson? How did we ever think Edwards or Manuel were good? 

It was the one play where Allen had to be superman and he delivered.  We're leading 10 - 7 and it's 3rd and 13 from the 34.  If we don't convert it's a long FG try.  Miss it and game momentum turns on a dime. Instead he makes a spectacular throw to the one yard line and a play later Cook scores to make it 17 - 7 and we now have control of the game.

• Like (+1) 2

For Allen, this is the type of game people killed Lamar for last year when he won the MVP.  His team killed the other team so bad that he literally didn’t have to do anything. A lot of fans will look at the stats (like a lot of people did here) and count this against Allen. But Cook’s runs are in part because of Allen. Allen is still a very strong MVP candidate (again, which is meaningless in the long run) and just justifies Lamar’s MVP. You shouldn’t get penalized for killing teams. 

and that game was so easy and kinda boring. Love it and now we get a bye week. Also good for Poyer for retiring in Florida!

• Like (+1) 1

The All22 is now out and I wanted to go back and look at the design and whether Bills receivers were getting open / being schemed open at the same frequency as Sunday. I'd say not quite overall, but there still weren't many plays where receivers were blanketed. The Bills aren't getting tons of guys open on the same play but they are finding ways to get 1 or 2 people into space to be options for their Quarterback. And the pass protection is good! Sometimes Josh could show a tick more patience in the pocket before he starts to move, but also the WRs have to try and separate faster, especially on downfield routes where I think some of the limitations of that group are showing up. I think given what we have at receiver though the offensive scheming so far is pretty decent. Obviously tougher tests to come. 

Anyway, I've got through the first four drives, conclusions below:

First drive:

- 1st & 10 - designed quick hitter to Kincaid for 9 yards;

- 1st & 10 - designed quick hitter to Kincaid for 8 yards;

- 2nd & 2 - incomplete pass - play action roll out to the right, Dolphins saw it coming the whole way think in the end Allen throws away smartly as opposed to trying to fit in to Coleman, or Kincaid who in any event was short of the sticks;

- 4th & 3 - TOUCHDOWN - beautifully designed pick play to Cook out of backfield for 17 yard TD.

Second drive:

- 2nd & 7 - short pass to Shakir short of the sticks for 6 yards - nobody else open but excellent protection.

- 3rd & 1 - incomplete pass - Allen drops the snap, Hollins runs a really nice in route middle of the field is wide open if Allen doesn't drop the ball it's a simple completion for 10 yards with some RAC possibility with a well placed ball. Allen eventually tries to force it to him later in the route after recovering his fumble, ball batted down. 

Third drive:

- 2nd & 8 - Allen scrambles for 2 yards - Dolphins have an unguarded rusher off the left edge on the blitz. Once Josh evades him there is a chance to Knox middle of the field who is wide open and Allen does look at it but it would have been a bit of an across his body throw and probably not a risk needed at that stage, so he pump fakes and runs for 2. 

3rd & 6 - short pass to Shakir, 11 yards and first down - Protection is great and three Bills receivers win their assignment here. Shakir is probably the first to uncover and Josh takes what they give him and the first down, a split second later Kincaid uncovers on a corner route and there is a short throw to Hollins in the flat right at the sticks which might have been a first down had neither of the others been open. 

2nd & 7 - incomplete pass - Josh goes deep to Samuel in the endzone, incomplete. Was probably the right risk. Shakir was open underneath but Samuel has a step on the DB outside in pure 1v1. Allen leaves the pass a little short and the DB uses his bigger frame to ensure Samuel can't come back for the football. If the throw is out in front it may be a touchdown, but also does show some of the limitations of Samuel outside.

3rd & 7 - incomplete pass - Allen misses Shakir who runs a post route from the slot and ends up wide open. Protection is good, not sure why Josh tries to move out to his right to try and hit Ty Johnson in the the flat, poor throw but he probably isn't making the 1st anyway. Shakir, had he seen him and hit him, might be a touchdown. 

Fourth drive:

1st & 10 - designed screen to Davis loses a yard - don't love this design Allen fades back too far in the pocket and by the time Davis gets the ball he is a good 6 or 7 yards behind the sticks. 

2nd & 11 - complete to Shakir, 21 yards, first down and 15 yard penalty on Poyer - Shakir uncovers. He is the only open guy but he does have Coleman 1 on 1 outside to the right if he had wanted to try a jump ball.

2nd & 16 - complete to Shakir, 4 yards - didn't have anything deep down the field. Both Shakir and Samuel separated but both were only getting 4 or 5 yards back.

3rd & 12 - complete to Ty Johnson for 33 yards - did have Keon running a corner route to the left who found the zone between the corner and the safety and would have had the first down had he gone that way, but Josh was looking to his right the whole time and made the one "superman" play of the day. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

20 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Got error code 5004. Wouldn't come in. Watched on local ABC

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

3rd & 7 - incomplete pass - Allen misses Shakir who runs a post route from the slot and ends up wide open. Protection is good, not sure why Josh tries to move out to his right to try and hit Ty Johnson in the the flat, poor throw but he probably isn't making the 1st anyway. Shakir, had he seen him and hit him, might be a touchdown. 

Yes I saw Joe Marino break this down in his all-22 video for subscribers. He pointed out on the following drive Shakir ran basically the same route on 2nd and long and that time Allen saw him right away and got it to him (with an extra 15 yards gifted to us by Poyer). Allen probably saw the miss on his tablet on the sideline and made it a point to come back to it.

• Like (+1) 1