A Few Thoughts about the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

52 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Shakir is starting to become a Cole Beasley type WR for Josh! 

He is already a better player than Beasley was, and that is not a knock on Beasley, but more a testament to Shakir.  Beasely did not have the same strength and YAC chops that Shakir does.  Shakir is a far more dangerous player than Cole was.  Both these guys are major move the chains weapons when needed a completion, but Shakir brings a whole other level or gear than Cole ever had with the ball in his hands, not to mention, Cole was really only effective short areas of the field where Shakir can attack all 3 zones.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, it was amazing.  Amazing how everything shut down in the second half.  

McDaniel in his press conference was almost totally incoherent talking about Tua.  I don't think he even knows what he's thinking.   He was lost.  

I have trouble seeing a guy with his personality and his overly-analytical style succeeding as a leader of men in this league.   He's an odd guy. 

Anyone else have a lot of trouble with prime.  There were instantaneous freezes throughout the game - either the video or the audio or both stopped for a few seconds.  I had a few total freezes where I had to log out and log back in.  But, of course, all the commercials ran fine.  

I had problems with Prime as well.  Yes the commercials ran without a hitch.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, jcamm1966 said:

Need to keep Browns number on speed dial. If they bomb out Sunday they might blow it up to dump Watson. They have a stockpile of corners and a few decent LB.

Amari Cooper would be a 1.2M Cap Hit if the Bills traded for him. 

I'm fairly ok with the offense but the one real upgrade the Bills can do is get MVS off the field as the primary deep threat. Cooper here would be a MASSIVE upgrade and probably worth a 2nd rounder as a 1 year rental

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He is already a better player than Beasley was, and that is not a knock on Beasley, but more a testament to Shakir.  Beasely did not have the same strength and YAC chops that Shakir does.  Shakir is a far more dangerous player than Cole was.  Both these guys are major move the chains weapons when needed a completion, but Shakir brings a whole other level or gear than Cole ever had with the ball in his hands, not to mention, Cole was really only effective short areas of the field where Shakir can attack all 3 zones.  

100% completion over two games!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I have trouble seeing a guy with his personality and his overly-analytical style succeeding as a leader of men in this league.   He's an odd guy. 

Last night I watched some interviews with him, and he seems to have trouble putting his thoughts together and being articulate

Seems like he should a more "behind the scenes" participant than a head coach

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

McDaniel in his press conference was almost totally incoherent talking about Tua.  I don't think he even knows what he's thinking.   He was lost.  

Anyone else have a lot of trouble with prime.  There were instantaneous freezes throughout the game - either the video or the audio or both stopped for a few seconds.  I had a few total freezes where I had to log out and log back in.  But, of course, all the commercials ran fine.  

McDaniel is a bit different.  

I think he's good at Xs and Os even if he didn't demonstrate it last night.  He's smart.  And, according to reports, he's the kind of coach who demonstrates confidence in his players and builds his players up.  I like that - and studies say it's the right approach.

But I agree about the leader of men thing.  There's just a lot of little things that make me wonder about the guy.  The goofy things he says.  The bad judgment and weakness of character he displayed when he tried to slyly hide his vaping on the sideline.  The way last night he let his defeatism show on his face.  And so on.   I want a leader to have a little more gravitas and demonstrate more stregth.  

(PS, I had no problem with Prime during the game but had some freezing during the postgame show).  

I'll just pile into your thread but to me, from first snap to final whistle the best player on the Bills defense was Christian Benford. Every time I looked up he was defending a pass, blanketing one of the speed threats, dumping runners to the turf, and even catching a ball. It was the best CB performance I've seen from anyone on any team so far this year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

Hearing alot of talk on local radio about McDermott and his masterclass defense. While I will enjoy this win and enjoy anxiety free football on Sunday, I would say pump the brakes a little. The Dolphins were awful last night. AWFUL. bills defense benefited greatly from the Dolphins woes. So while I give alot of credit to the bills for doing what they did last night, I'm still hesitant to crown them just yet. 

1 hour ago, entropyrules said:

my wonderful spousal unit (ver. 2.0) decided during the game it was a good time to rewire a lamp she made. Of course what could go wrong - the next thing I know the house is plunged into almost total darkness. After several flips of the circuit breakers power was restored about 15 minutes later. then it took forever to get the internet booted up again. Missed an entire quarter-she's too cute and snarky (and usually handy around the house) to jettison.

But the next time!!!!

bride torture GIF by South Park

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Hearing alot of talk on local radio about McDermott and his masterclass defense. While I will enjoy this win and enjoy anxiety free football on Sunday, I would say pump the brakes a little. The Dolphins were awful last night. AWFUL. bills defense benefited greatly from the Dolphins woes. So while I give alot of credit to the bills for doing what they did last night, I'm still hesitant to crown them just yet. 

I agree that the Dolphins were terrible.  In particular, Tua, pre-injury.  He was high and wide on lots of passes, including the 2nd interception, which sailed way over the receiver's head.  And while Ingram's pick-6 was fun as a Bills fan, what an absolutely horrible pass for a NFL QB to throw!  Those picks, along with the one in the early going that bounced off the receiver's shoulder pad really made it easy for the Bills.  All this said, the Bills capitalized on all of the opportunities presented and also helped create their own luck.  Some of the reason Tua's throws were off was that he was feeling the heat from the Bills pass rush and hurrying his throws, leading to a lack of accuracy.  And Cook was terrific.  And Josh made several key throws on 3rd downs to keep drives alive.

And credit the Bills coaching staff for doing this without:  Diggs, Davis, Morse, Hyde, Poyer, Milano, T. Johnson, and Bernard.

• Like (+1) 2

If I have one criticism of the Bills in this game, I’d have liked to see a better gameplan to run out the clock than simply rushing up the middle on nearly every play.  Short controlled passing with high completion % is in the playbook and utilized consistently.  I’d like to see some of those patterns run late in games like this one as well.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks for the great writeup, as always.

Three things stood out to me:

1.) Team defense. Yes, there were some great plays by individual players (Oliver, Ingram, I'm looking at you), but by and large, the defense simply looked good AS A UNIT out there. Pre-play checks were made, communication was good, players were passed off when they were supposed to be, defenders rallied to the football once a receiver caught it, gap integrity was mostly kept. It was a "do your job" night on defense, and everyone pretty much did theirs, and the total result was defensive dominance.

2.) Winning both lines of scrimmage. Our offensive line opened up big lanes in the running game and also kept #17 clean all night long. Our defensive line penetrated into the Dolphins' backfield repeatedly, harassed Tua, and generally looked like they were vastly superior to the Dolphins' o-line -- which they were. Winning the lines of scrimmage is, was, and will always be how you win football games, and the Bills did it on both sides last night.

3.) Khalil Shakir is Hines Ward. That's who I see. A thickly built route technician who just knows how to get open and make big catches, and who can also run after the catch, and who is also a tenacious blocker. He will never be the big highlight reel, cover-of-Madden kind of guy (though, to be fair, he's already had a highlight reel play or two this season). But what he WILL be is a dependable option, a chain mover, and a tone setter. And at the end of the season, you'll look up and see that he quietly accumulated over 1,000 yards and was the Bills' most productive receiver.

Added bonus: How 'bout them UB boys, eh? Jamarcus Ingram looks like a FIND at corner, and Cam Lewis has taken a lot of the sting out of losing Taron Johnson. The Bulls-to-Bills pipeline looking strong in 2024!

But, but, but, he has short arms😵‍💫

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I was at at a friend's house and he had same issue.  Amazon will need to raise prices again to fix video issues and will say it is to increase quality of programming again.

35 minutes ago, Steptide said:

We've never had the same combination in the secondary when playing the McDaniel Dolphins - hell we haven't even had the same starting safety duo once. *****, we haven't even had 1 player who has played the majority of the snaps in every game...

The results turn out to be pretty much the same every time.We are their woes. 

2022 Week 3, Bills @ Dolphins (21-19 L)

Damar Hamlin (100%)
Jaquan Johnson (100%)

Kaiir Elam (100%)

Taron Johnson (100%)

Ja'Marcus Ingram (56%)

Tagovailoa

13-20

1-0

2022 Week 15, Dolphins @ Bills (32-29 W)

Jordan Poyer (100%)

Damar Hamlin (100%)

Tre'Davious White (100%)

Taron Johnson (100%)

Dane Jackson (53%)

Tagovailoa

17-30

2-0

2022 Wild Card Round, Dolphins @ Bills (34-31 W)

Jordan Poyer (100%)

Dean Marlowe (100%)

Tre'Davious White (100%)

Taron Johnson (100%)

Kaiir Elam (62%)

Thompson

18-45

1-2

2023 Week 4, Dolphins @ Bills (48-20 W)

Taylor Rapp (100%)

Micah Hyde (100%)

Taron Johnson (86%)

Dane Jackson (75%)

Tre'Davious White (72%)

Tagovailoa
25-35

1-1

2023 Week 18, Bills @ Dolphins (21-14 W)

Jordan Poyer (100%)

Micah Hyde (100%)

Taron Johnson (100%)

Christian Benford (100%)

Dane Jackson (52%)

Tagovailoa

17-27

1-2

2024 Week 2, Bills @ Dolphins (31-10 W)

Christian Benford (100%)

Cameron Lewis (92%)

Taylor Rapp (92%)

Damar Hamlin (92%)

Rasul Douglas (92%)

Tagovailoa/Thompson

25-39

1-3

Dolphins QBs vs the Bills under Mike McDaniel average...

58% Completion 

220 Yards Passing Per Game

1.2 TD Per Game

1.3 INT Per Game

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

I'll just pile into your thread but to me, from first snap to final whistle the best player on the Bills defense was Christian Benford. Every time I looked up he was defending a pass, blanketing one of the speed threats, dumping runners to the turf, and even catching a ball. It was the best CB performance I've seen from anyone on any team so far this year.

Even on the first Ingram interception, it was Benford who had the receiver covered with a blanket and forced the deflection that got picked.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I had to refresh once early on but other than that no problems.