A Few Thoughts about the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Just now, Virgil said:

You'd think writing about a 31-10 win, on the road, on short rest, against a divisional opponent would be an easy thing to do.  However, if you watched the game, you'd know it was a snoozefest in the second half, where both coaches were just trying to get off the field in one piece.  With that being said, I'll do my best.

And that, my friend, in a nutshell is why I am not writing this week.  

• Like (+1) 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Shaw66 said:

And that, my friend, in a nutshell is why I am not writing this week.  

I 100% get it.  I never really have plan for these things.  However, once I got going, it kind of flowed out.  I almost gave McDaniel his own spot too honestly.

That was just a really strange game

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I 100% get it.  I never really have plan for these things.  However, once I got going, it kind of flowed out.  I almost gave McDaniel his own spot too honestly.

That was just a really strange game

Yes, it was amazing.  Amazing how everything shut down in the second half.  

McDaniel in his press conference was almost totally incoherent talking about Tua.  I don't think he even knows what he's thinking.   He was lost.  

I have trouble seeing a guy with his personality and his overly-analytical style succeeding as a leader of men in this league.   He's an odd guy. 

Anyone else have a lot of trouble with prime.  There were instantaneous freezes throughout the game - either the video or the audio or both stopped for a few seconds.  I had a few total freezes where I had to log out and log back in.  But, of course, all the commercials ran fine.  

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, Shaw66 said:

I have trouble seeing a guy with his personality and his overly-analytical style succeeding as a leader of men in this league.   He's an odd guy. 

Anyone else have a lot of trouble with prime.  There were instantaneous freezes throughout the game - either the video or the audio or both stopped for a few seconds.  I had a few total freezes where I had to log out and log back in.  But, of course, all the commercials ran fine.  

I think it's a coaching style that works until it doesn't.  When the wins stop, players start to get annoyed with it.

Prime was great for me.  No issues

17 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You'd think writing about a 31-10 win, on the road, on short rest, against a divisional opponent would be an easy thing to do.  However, if you watched the game, you'd know it was a snoozefest in the second half, where both coaches were just trying to get off the field in one piece.  With that being said, I'll do my best.

1 - Cook - World, Meet James Cook.  James Cook, meet the world.  I mean, what can you say about Cook besides Wow.  On a night where you weren't sure if the Bills offense was going to be in rhythm or capitalize on the Dolphins turnovers, Cook put those thoughts to rest quickly.  If you were waiting for the next Cook drop or turnover, you'll have to wait another week more because he showed the potential tonight to be a top 5 RB in the league.  Cook showed great blocking, speed, hands, and reminded everyone in the most poster-ized way, why we don't need Jordan Poyer on this team.  His long run for our last offensive touchdown turned into a track meet vs Poyer and you all know the outcome.  If before this game, teams didn't think they had to game plan for Cook, they sure do now.

2 - Safeties - As promised, I don't look up stats if I can help it, so give me a break.  While Tua left the game early, Waddle and Hill were held to under 65 frustrating combined yards, and it was a thing of beauty to see them meltdown on the sidelines.  McDaniel's play calling definitely drew the irk of the fans, but let's just give Rapp and Hamlin the benefit of the doubt to them taking away any deep shots.  On the one deep shot I do remember, Hill was blanket covered and almost resulted in an interception.  This is a backfield that I was very worried about going into this game, and they were brilliant.

3 - Oliver - If last week was the Groot show, this week was the Oliver show.  This isn't to say that Von and Groot didn't play well, because they absolutely did.  Von got his second sack in as many games and Groot chased Tua down from behind on a great stop.  However, Oliver literally was throwing offensive lineman around like they were nothing.  He single handedly stuffed a 3rd down FB run and had a 4th down sack in the type of way that makes an offense change where they run the ball.  I know the Dolphins had some offensive line injury concerns, but still...I hope to see Oliver's Lasso dance every week this season.

4 - "I hope that either all of us or none of us are judged by the actions of our weakest moments, but rather by the strength we show when and if we're ever given a second chance."

5 - Ingram - Is there a better story on this team than how this kid is playing?  And that says a lot, because a lot of players are having their first big moments.  His first interception was great awareness and hands.  His second interception, which I think everyone thought was a throw-away, resulted in a game sealing pick six.  There's two types of people in this world:  Those who knew Ingram would lead the team with 3 interceptions through week two, and dirty ***** liars.  The fact that he earned a post game interview and his humbleness during it, just makes me love all the success he is having.

6 - Tackles for a loss - I can't even remember half of the plays at this point, but can you remember a game where more Bills players just destroyed their blocked and made amazing shoe lace tackles in the backfield?  I know Douglas had a great highlight play, but I think we had 10 tackles for a loss in this game alone.  These guys were fired up and ready.

7 - Lewis - Okay, maybe I owe him an apology.  If you asked me who the biggest liability on defense was this season, I would have said Lewis first and then Hamlin second.  I'm so incredibly happy to be wrong through two games.  Cam has really stepped up so far and, while I want TJ back immediately, really has made that loss not feel so bad.  Cam had some create plays in coverage and open field tackles.  

8 - Selfless - I wanted to talk about Shakir here, as he looks to be our completion leader this season, but how do I ignore the selfless play off all our pass catchers.  I know it's early in the season and things can change, but every time I see the sideline, all the receivers are smiling, dapping each other up, and seem to be really bonding as a team.  I think it's only a matter of time until Josh hits MVS deep, and then the opposing defenses are just plain *****.  Seriously, with how our offensive line is blocking, Cook is running, and we are distributing the ball; if we start hitting the deep shots...watch out.  I mean, just in this recap alone, I'm not even going to list Josh and we won by 21!  Besides the injury to TB, this was the best possible scenario for this team on a short week.  

9 - Tua - I have to take a moment out of respect for Tua's injury.  I don't want to kick a man while he's down, but I have to put that injury on him.  You know that Hamlin doesn't want to be on the other side of that hit, if you can even call it a hit.  Tua had the first down, could have slid, but still went head first into Hamlin.  Watching him T-Rex after that hit was horrifying and I hated to see it.  Everything you hear about Tua is that he's a good dude, and I never want to win due to an injury.  I really hope the league (and I think they will), makes Tua take his time away from the game and re-evaluate his career.  If he didn't learn how to slide after the 2022 season, then maybe this isn't the right sport for him.  He already has his money to retire and maybe that's what is best for him.  

10 - McD - This Bills team scared me on defense coming into the season and I didn't feel great after week 1.  But in going back and looking at the stats in the second half against the Cardinals and then seeing the absolute clinic we put up during this game, I have to give the man credit.  We bent a few times, but really didn't break.  I don't think anyone saw us only giving up 10 points through almost 3 quarters.  I don't think anyone saw the Hill/Waddle temper tantrum on the sidelines coming.  Credit to Babich as well, as he is calling the plays, but McD has had this team ready to go now for the last 6 quarters, seems to have the right coordinators on both sides of the ball, and it's going to be a very interesting season.

Misc - I really hope we spend some money to bring in a veteran LB this week.  It's great that TB is only out for about a month and Milano will be back eventually, but with the injuries this season and last, we are already skating on thin ice.  We need more insurance there and would hate to see things get derailed again due to injuries.  We have the Jags, Raven, and Texans all coming up and we need to be at our very possible best.  

Go Bills!

Need to keep Browns number on speed dial. If they bomb out Sunday they might blow it up to dump Watson. They have a stockpile of corners and a few decent LB.

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks @Virgil - as always a nice recap and as you and @Shaw66 have said - a weird game all around.  Was awesome to see Hill and the Waddler melting down.  Too bad about Po but his time is over......

Prime for the most part was OK for me too.....when it is lined up and working right the pix is unreal!!

GO BILLS!!!!!

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

my wonderful spousal unit (ver. 2.0) decided during the game it was a good time to rewire a lamp she made. Of course what could go wrong - the next thing I know the house is plunged into almost total darkness. After several flips of the circuit breakers power was restored about 15 minutes later. then it took forever to get the internet booted up again. Missed an entire quarter-she's too cute and snarky (and usually handy around the house) to jettison.

• Haha (+1) 9

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

Virgil, your thoughts on the OL coming together and if they miss Mitch at all. 

I'd say they are already a top 5-10 unit in the league.  Between Cooks performance and Josh's time in the pocket (sans blitz), I think they are playing great.  Also, only one penalty all game?  That's really impressive from where we were last week and last season.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

IMO, McDaniel's scheme is hugely flawed and it gets exposed every game McDermott plays against him.  They don't have any answers for what the Bills do defensively which is basically take away deep throws and force runs and patient underneath throws.  They have ferrari's and porsche's and lambo's and bugatti's and want to drive 200 mph but the Bills put roadblocks and potholes in the way and force them to slow down and drive with their hazards on.

Been that way pretty much every game against them. We make them look average offensively. The games aren't usually close and other teams seem to be catching on and following the Bills lead increasingly often.  

The Fins are all flash and glitz but no substance when it comes down to it.  When you take away the flash and force them to actually play sound, fundamental football, they fold like cheap tents because they don't know how to do it since they rely on tricks, misdirection and motions so often to prevent them from having to do it.

Bills take away deep shots and crowd the middle of the field to clog the crossers. Play physical at the LOS with the WR's to disrupt timing and routes. They basically tell the Fins to run the ball and throw short passes to the backs and TE's if they are going to try and beat them.  Achane always has good games against us, but so what?  We are giving them that based on the gameplan and light boxes. We don't care about him running for 100 yards. That's irrelevant to the outcome of the game.  They are never winning that way. Fins refuse to stick with it long enough to force the Bills out of it and even if they did, I don't know if it would force them out of it.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

IMO, McDaniel's scheme is hugely flawed and it gets exposed every game McDermott plays against him.  They don't have any answers for what the Bills do defensively which is basically take away deep throws and force runs and patient underneath throws.  They have ferrari's and porsche's and lambo's and bugatti's and want to drive 200 mph but the Bills put roadblocks and potholes in the way and force them to slow down and drive with their hazards on.

Been that way pretty much every game against them. We make them look average offensively. The games aren't usually close and other teams seem to be catching on and following the Bills lead increasingly often.  

The Fins are all flash and glitz but no substance when it comes down to it.  When you take away the flash and force them to actually play sound, fundamental football, they fold like cheap tents because they don't know how to do it since they rely on tricks, misdirection and motions so often to prevent them from having to do it.

Bills take away deep shots and crowd the middle of the field to clog the crossers. They basically tell the Fins to run the ball and throw short passes to the backs and TE's if they are going to try and beat them.  Achane always has good games against us, but so what?  We are giving them that based on the gameplan and light boxes. We don't care about him running for 100 yards. That's irrelevant to the outcome of the game.  They are never winning that way. Fins refuse to stick with it long enough to force the Bills out of it and even if they did, I don't know if it would force them out of it.

I give McD a lot of credit for not breaking.  The Dolphins were moving down the field and many coaches might have adjusted quicker, possibly giving up the big play.  McD doesn't do that and won the staring contest

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Misc - I really hope we spend some money to bring in a veteran LB this week.  It's great that TB is only out for about a month and Milano will be back eventually, but with the injuries this season and last, we are already skating on thin ice.  We need more insurance there and would hate to see things get derailed again due to injuries.  We have the Jags, Raven, and Texans all coming up and we need to be at our very possible best.  

If we held last years most explosive offense to 10 points, I'm fine just rolling with what we have and giving the young guys like Andreesen some experience.   

• Agree 1

Tua should absolutely not be playing in the NFL. That hit he took was into Hamlin's gut. Hamlin wasn't running anywhere near full speed. That hit was far less than the knee that Kincaid took to the head (that didn't get flagged), or the helmet to helmet that Poyer laid on Shakir. If that had been Allen in that situation (unfair as that comparison may be), not only would Allen have shook the hit off, but Hamlin would have been ass-over-elbows. 

Allowing Tua to continue would be irresponsible for all concerned.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks for the great writeup, as always.

Three things stood out to me:

1.) Team defense. Yes, there were some great plays by individual players (Oliver, Ingram, I'm looking at you), but by and large, the defense simply looked good AS A UNIT out there. Pre-play checks were made, communication was good, players were passed off when they were supposed to be, defenders rallied to the football once a receiver caught it, gap integrity was mostly kept. It was a "do your job" night on defense, and everyone pretty much did theirs, and the total result was defensive dominance.

2.) Winning both lines of scrimmage. Our offensive line opened up big lanes in the running game and also kept #17 clean all night long. Our defensive line penetrated into the Dolphins' backfield repeatedly, harassed Tua, and generally looked like they were vastly superior to the Dolphins' o-line -- which they were. Winning the lines of scrimmage is, was, and will always be how you win football games, and the Bills did it on both sides last night.

3.) Khalil Shakir is Hines Ward. That's who I see. A thickly built route technician who just knows how to get open and make big catches, and who can also run after the catch, and who is also a tenacious blocker. He will never be the big highlight reel, cover-of-Madden kind of guy (though, to be fair, he's already had a highlight reel play or two this season). But what he WILL be is a dependable option, a chain mover, and a tone setter. And at the end of the season, you'll look up and see that he quietly accumulated over 1,000 yards and was the Bills' most productive receiver.

Added bonus: How 'bout them UB boys, eh? Jamarcus Ingram looks like a FIND at corner, and Cam Lewis has taken a lot of the sting out of losing Taron Johnson. The Bulls-to-Bills pipeline looking strong in 2024!

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

1 - Cook - World, Meet James Cook.  James Cook, meet the world.  I mean, what can you say about Cook besides Wow.  On a night where you weren't sure if the Bills offense was going to be in rhythm or capitalize on the Dolphins turnovers, Cook put those thoughts to rest quickly.  If you were waiting for the next Cook drop or turnover, you'll have to wait another week more because he showed the potential tonight to be a top 5 RB in the league.  Cook showed great blocking, speed, hands, and reminded everyone in the most poster-ized way, why we don't need Jordan Poyer on this team.  His long run for our last offensive touchdown turned into a track meet vs Poyer and you all know the outcome.  If before this game, teams didn't think they had to game plan for Cook, they sure do now.

2 - Safeties - As promised, I don't look up stats if I can help it, so give me a break.  While Tua left the game early, Waddle and Hill were held to under 65 frustrating combined yards, and it was a thing of beauty to see them meltdown on the sidelines.  McDaniel's play calling definitely drew the irk of the fans, but let's just give Rapp and Hamlin the benefit of the doubt to them taking away any deep shots.  On the one deep shot I do remember, Hill was blanket covered and almost resulted in an interception.  This is a backfield that I was very worried about going into this game, and they were brilliant.

3 - Oliver - If last week was the Groot show, this week was the Oliver show.  This isn't to say that Von and Groot didn't play well, because they absolutely did.  Von got his second sack in as many games and Groot chased Tua down from behind on a great stop.  However, Oliver literally was throwing offensive lineman around like they were nothing.  He single handedly stuffed a 3rd down FB run and had a 4th down sack in the type of way that makes an offense change where they run the ball.  I know the Dolphins had some offensive line injury concerns, but still...I hope to see Oliver's Lasso dance every week this season.

4 - "I hope that either all of us or none of us are judged by the actions of our weakest moments, but rather by the strength we show when and if we're ever given a second chance."

5 - Ingram - Is there a better story on this team than how this kid is playing?  And that says a lot, because a lot of players are having their first big moments.  His first interception was great awareness and hands.  His second interception, which I think everyone thought was a throw-away, resulted in a game sealing pick six.  There's two types of people in this world:  Those who knew Ingram would lead the team with 3 interceptions through week two, and dirty ***** liars.  The fact that he earned a post game interview and his humbleness during it, just makes me love all the success he is having.

6 - Tackles for a loss - I can't even remember half of the plays at this point, but can you remember a game where more Bills players just destroyed their blocked and made amazing shoe lace tackles in the backfield?  I know Douglas had a great highlight play, but I think we had 10 tackles for a loss in this game alone.  These guys were fired up and ready.

7 - Lewis - Okay, maybe I owe him an apology.  If you asked me who the biggest liability on defense was this season, I would have said Lewis first and then Hamlin second.  I'm so incredibly happy to be wrong through two games.  Cam has really stepped up so far and, while I want TJ back immediately, really has made that loss not feel so bad.  Cam had some create plays in coverage and open field tackles.  

8 - Selfless - I wanted to talk about Shakir here, as he looks to be our completion leader this season, but how do I ignore the selfless play off all our pass catchers.  I know it's early in the season and things can change, but every time I see the sideline, all the receivers are smiling, dapping each other up, and seem to be really bonding as a team.  I think it's only a matter of time until Josh hits MVS deep, and then the opposing defenses are just plain *****.  Seriously, with how our offensive line is blocking, Cook is running, and we are distributing the ball; if we start hitting the deep shots...watch out.  I mean, just in this recap alone, I'm not even going to list Josh and we won by 21!  Besides the injury to TB, this was the best possible scenario for this team on a short week.  

9 - Tua - I have to take a moment out of respect for Tua's injury.  I don't want to kick a man while he's down, but I have to put that injury on him.  You know that Hamlin doesn't want to be on the other side of that hit, if you can even call it a hit.  Tua had the first down, could have slid, but still went head first into Hamlin.  Watching him T-Rex after that hit was horrifying and I hated to see it.  Everything you hear about Tua is that he's a good dude, and I never want to win due to an injury.  I really hope the league (and I think they will), makes Tua take his time away from the game and re-evaluate his career.  If he didn't learn how to slide after the 2022 season, then maybe this isn't the right sport for him.  He already has his money to retire and maybe that's what is best for him.  

10 - McD - This Bills team scared me on defense coming into the season and I didn't feel great after week 1.  But in going back and looking at the stats in the second half against the Cardinals and then seeing the absolute clinic we put up during this game, I have to give the man credit.  We bent a few times, but really didn't break.  I don't think anyone saw us only giving up 10 points through almost 3 quarters.  I don't think anyone saw the Hill/Waddle temper tantrum on the sidelines coming.  Credit to Babich as well, as he is calling the plays, but McD has had this team ready to go now for the last 6 quarters, seems to have the right coordinators on both sides of the ball, and it's going to be a very interesting season.

Go Bills!

Outstanding. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1