Bass FG miss tipped?

Dr. K

21 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Of course, but how hard is it to find some kickers to bring into camp to compete with Bass? 

Because the dead cap for cutting him was 3.5M more than his cap hit for keeping him.  They like the kid.  They don’t want to give up on him after 1 bad season. 

it wouldn’t have been hard to bring in another kicker, but you’d still have Bass as your kicker.  There was no chance of replacing him.  

10 hours ago, Utah John said:

1.  He slipped causing the kick to go awry.

2. The defender might have tipped it but only because it wasn't going straight to begin with.

3. I'm not getting down on him until I see him miss a kick under normal conditions, when the field isn't so slippery.  (There were multiple players slipping all through the game)

Agree with 1 especially, the field was unacceptable and a kicker is so routined that his plant foot moving 2 inches too far forward means he shanks it

21 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I thought it was just a really bad shank.

Reminds me of when I tee off with an iron playing a par 3.

i have always felt like kicking is the same as golf. I do know that when I am trying to correct a bad block or slice right, if I over-correct, it is a pull hook— similar to that Bass miss. 

• Like (+1) 1

At this point, does it matter? Dude has to have no confidence in a job where it is all about confidence. The Bills are in a tough spot because I don’t think there are a lot of good kickers on the market. Plus, you build relationships with guys and want to stand by them when times are tough. 

but man if he misses a big kick, it’s going to be really, really bad. 

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i have always felt like kicking is the same as golf. I do know that when I am trying to correct a bad block or slice right, if I over-correct, it is a pull hook— similar to that Bass miss. 

Now imagine if millions of people, who are irrationally invested, and millions of dollars are on the line. 

It is wild that glorified soccer players can have such a huge impact on a sport. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Kicking is alot like golf. The side of the foot must be squared to the target like a club face. Inside of 45 yards, Tyler has tons of confidence. But beyond that he's a mess.  He's had 2 seasons around 87% and 2 bad seasons at 82%. If he can't occasionally hit a longer fg this team will be forced to move on from him. Dead cap or not.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, MJS said:

The Cover 1 guys were speculating that it was tipped. They didn't really show a good replay on the broadcast, so I don't know. But if it was tipped, that would be a relief.

Prior to that miss I was feeling more confident about Bass. He hit all the “Gimmie” kicks against AZ and all the extra points and then he crushed the 43 yard field goal against the Fins. 

So I was really hoping that was a sign of Bass’s confidence. But then he missed the longer field goal which made me think he’s still got the yips. But if it was tipped that’s a better sign I guess 

• Agree 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Prior to that miss I was feeling more confident about Bass. He hit all the “Gimmie” kicks against AZ and all the extra points and then he crushed the 43 yard field goal against the Fins. 

So I was really hoping that was a sign of Bass’s confidence. But then he missed the longer field goal which made me think he’s still got the yips. But if it was tipped that’s a better sign I guess 

Still looked like he slipped and hit it fat but haven’t seen a replay 

At what point does the league nudge Miami to think about a dome?  Huge market in South Florida, weather & temperature impact a lot of games.

not the first game in recent memory where the Miami turf conditions have been less than stellar.

Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Arizona, Vegas -  all hot weather cities NORTH of Miami have domes.

Just a thought.

Edited by BearNorth

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You can’t keep a shaky kicker.  I’d rather cycle through a couple until we find a clutch one by the end of the season.  Bass is done.  

We can somewhat get out of Bass's contract next year with a 3M dead cap. I'm sick of watching so many teams with guys who can kick 55+ with ease.  Take a look at Ryan Fitzgerald front FSU.  Accurate with a big leg.

On 9/14/2024 at 11:02 AM, Orlando Buffalo said:

Agree with 1 especially, the field was unacceptable and a kicker is so routined that his plant foot moving 2 inches too far forward means he shanks it

Yeah it's tough on wet fields...you have to shorten your stride with your plant foot to make sure it stays underneath you but you also have to make sure it's long enough so you can generate enough power on longer kicks.

It's a tough balance to strike, especially when you aren't getting much practice with it...it's not a normal thing that happens a lot.

Shorter FGs are non-issue because you don't need much of a stride since you can almost just leg the ball thru from a standing position...kicks over 40 can't do that tho.

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah it's tough on wet fields...you have to shorten your stride with your plant foot to make sure it stays underneath you but you also have to make sure it's long enough so you can generate enough power on longer kicks.

It's a tough balance to strike, especially when you aren't getting much practice with it...it's not a normal thing that happens a lot.

Shorter FGs are non-issue because you don't need much of a stride since you can almost just leg the ball thru from a standing position...kicks over 40 can't do that tho.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say Bass's missed kick was the worst for any kicker in the NFL this season, even considering the conditions. 

Both kickers playing on that slip-n-slide field in Brazil week1 did better in worse conditions. They went 5/6 with the 1 miss hitting the upright.

Bass hasn't made a 51+ yarder since week 4 last season. McD won't even let him attempt 55+

13 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I don't think it's hyperbole to say Bass's missed kick was the worst for any kicker in the NFL this season, even considering the conditions. 

Both kickers playing on that slip-n-slide field in Brazil week1 did better in worse conditions. They went 5/6 with the 1 miss hitting the upright.

Bass hasn't made a 51+ yarder since week 4 last season. McD won't even let him attempt 55+

Have you ever kicked a football before at all, let alone in a game in live conditions?

If not you should probably defer to the person who did it for 3 years.

Just saying.

Edited by Big Turk