Bass FG miss tipped?

Dr. K

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I looked at the highlights, and I'm pretty convinced that it was not tipped.  There was a Dolphins player who jumped up with a hand, but I found a shot where it looked as though the ball was heading wide L before it got to the Dolphins defenders.  I do think Bass slipped a bit as he planted to kick, though, which considering how everyone else on the field was slipping and falling would not be a huge shock.

It's staggering how stupid our equipment staff is judging what type of cleats to use when they knew the field was wet. We had several other players slipping all over the place. 

6 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I am not particularly confident in Bass either. His body language has been crap. He’s lost his swag. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt until he needs to make an important kick, but things are looking grim. 

We cant be a serious team with him in lineup, and im not kidding.  i get it, i get it, kickers are kitties, nobody likes them, but youre not getting to a SB with a kicker like him, let alone winning it.  hes already a mess. imagine we pound someone in WC, he misses from 39, and now his psyche is going to recover? Imagine tight game in a SB and youre at a 35yard kick..... you have to kick, its late, youre down 1, but you also know you cant kick lol no thanks. my hair turned grey typing that

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

We cant be a serious team with him in lineup, and im not kidding.  i get it, i get it, kickers are kitties, nobody likes them, but youre not getting to a SB with a kicker like him, let alone winning it.  hes already a mess. imagine we pound someone in WC, he misses from 39, and now his psyche is going to recover? Imagine tight game in a SB and youre at a 35yard kick..... you have to kick, its late, youre down 1, but you also know you cant kick lol no thanks. my hair turned grey typing that

We’ve seen it over and over again how a kicker can make or break you. Wide right volume 1 & 2, Butker constantly making clutch kicks against us, Adam Vintieri, etc. I am with you and I hope they are keeping an eye on who might be available if Bass keeps screwing up. I’ll sacrifice distance for a guy that is willing to make those 40-45 yarders 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I thought he might have had his plant foot slip...only thing that really makes sense to hit a ball that badly. Especially since players were slipping all over the place all night. Didn't see the replay, that was my first thought when I saw him hit it.

a slip is all that can explain a dead pull like that 

47 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

We’ve seen it over and over again how a kicker can make or break you. Wide right volume 1 & 2, Butker constantly making clutch kicks against us, Adam Vintieri, etc. I am with you and I hope they are keeping an eye on who might be available if Bass keeps screwing up. I’ll sacrifice distance for a guy that is willing to make those 40-45 yarders 

How the heck do you pull off an in season kicker trade?  If we plan to dominate trenches, run hard, stop the run, pressure the passer.  I think having a good K, or even just a trustworthy K becomes that much more important.

We can bully, rule time of possession, and not rely on Josh's solo magic to win. But youre shortening the game, and you can less afford to drive deep and walk out with 0 points.  

Side rant: how the heck can there be so many good college kickers, and none of them translate to NFL games? There's 134 D1 teams and most classes dont put out a roster-able kicker?  If its the rush thing, move the guy an extra yard back and sacrifice the extra 1 yd of range.  I cant understand it

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I know his stats.  He made 3 of 3 from inside the 43.  His problems are the longer kicks.

I for sure am not a Bass "hater" but no one can convince me he is not totally right in one way or another.

All good. I was just having fun on the West Coast drinking way to early 😁 🤙🏼

Have a great weekend! 

Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1

I want to root for Bass, I like him, and I want him to succeed. He's been in Buffalo for a (relatively) long time, and that's the kind of guy I root for. But, he's a bottom tier K, and we need better. Why hasn't Beane been on this? What do they see that I don't? It's out of character for Beane/McD to just let any position on the roster just slide-- but this is a key position!

9 hours ago, MJS said:

The Cover 1 guys were speculating that it was tipped. They didn't really show a good replay on the broadcast, so I don't know. But if it was tipped, that would be a relief.

im not even sure that feels better. 

a unit that consistently has issues allowing a blocked kick is a hefty concern too

1.  He slipped causing the kick to go awry.

2. The defender might have tipped it but only because it wasn't going straight to begin with.

3. I'm not getting down on him until I see him miss a kick under normal conditions, when the field isn't so slippery.  (There were multiple players slipping all through the game)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, uticaclub said:

I believe one of the announcers mentioned that the kick may have been tipped due to it being such a bad miss, but I haven't seen a replay confirming this. In my opinion, Bass doesn't seem to have confidence when kicking from the left hashmark. I hope he got injured during the kick and will have to go on IR. At this point, he's a liability.

Is it okay for someone to hope someone drinks wood alcohol accidentally and is blinded temporarily to Match? 

I don't think so but some others more reasonable people might.