Bass FG miss tipped?

Dr. K

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Just spent like 15 minutes of watching kicking YouTube videos. According to what I saw, You want to kick the ball on the left low side of the ball and sort of swing in to out.

on this kick, Bass planted way too close to the ball and hit it on the right side of the ball. That’s basically how you hook a golf ball too. 

I’m not knowledgeable on kicking technique. Someone out there surely is! Please step up and tell me what to think!

Is that a fluid swing?

Just now, Mike in Horseheads said:

lets not forget that college career as a FG kicker

😂😂I was buddies w our college kicker but I played different sport...I did get to take some kicks messing around after camp on the tees

I can kick the ***** out of a football

1 minute ago, The Helmet of said:

I’m not knowledgeable on kicking technique. Someone out there surely is! Please step up and tell me what to think!

Is that a fluid swing?

No

That weird little half step right when he starts his approach is indicative of bad timing imo

Could have been a miscommunication on the snap but either way not great

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

he didn’t slip. He just made a poor kick. Stop defending him. Last week it was the wind. This week you say he slipped when he didn’t. Excuses are going to run out. They aren’t working out kickers if they think Bass is doing a good job. 

Nah, they work out players at all positions at all times, including positions they are presently just fine at, to keep an updated list of guys available who they want to have already looked at and have an opinion on.

This might mean something. Or not. 

No way to tell.

35 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think the best explanation for it is that he missed.

Not trying to defend the guy trying to find the issue 

he seemed to be kicking better with less push to the right.

I thought he slipped a little watching live and said it in this post but seeing the replay it didn’t look that way.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

he didn’t slip. He just made a poor kick. Stop defending him. Last week it was the wind. This week you say he slipped when he didn’t. Excuses are going to run out. They aren’t working out kickers if they think Bass is doing a good job. 

Yikes...that was brutal after seeing the closeup replay...

main thing I see is that it looks like his plant foot is too far in front which means when his back leg follows thru, it is going to naturally turn his body to the right due to momentum.  This is kinda something basic that I would not expect to see from someone professionally kicking...this is something that happened to me when I first started kicking a football for the first month or so and gradually declined once you figured out where to put your plant foot and have your targets.

Almost like he is in his head and experimenting with a new stance/approach and he doesn't have it down yet. That is something that happens when you get in your own head...you start trying to make changes to what you are doing and then sometimes those changes lead to stuff like this because you don't have the years and years of muscle memory and practice with it.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yikes...that was brutal after seeing the closeup replay...

main thing I see is that it looks like his plant foot is too far in front which means when his back leg follows thru, it is going to naturally turn his body to the right due to momentum.  This is kinda something basic that I would not expect to see from someone professionally kicking...this is something that happened to me when I first started kicking a football for the first month or so and gradually declined once you figured out where to put your plant foot and have your targets.

Almost like he is in his head and experimenting with a new stance/approach and he doesn't have it down yet. That is something that happens when you get in your own head...you start trying to make changes to what you are doing and then sometimes those changes lead to stuff like this because you don't have the years and years of muscle memory and practice with it.

Oh, I thought you had seen this clip before.  Yeah it is a yikes.  I dont know kicking like you do, but I know a shank when I see one.

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Oh, I thought you had seen this clip before.  Yeah it is a yikes.  I dont know kicking like you do, but I know a shank when I see one.

His foot placement is halfway past the ball itself which is a pretty large overstep, I mean that's just terrible for a professional kicker to make that kind of gaffe...almost no chance of the ball going straight at that point.

I don't know if he lengthened his steps on approach or didn't set up properly at the start...typically it's some variation of two big steps back and one to two smaller steps sideways--each kicker has what they are comfortable with and usually once they have a system in place, they don't change it.  When you are experimenting with a new system or some sort of change to your setup this is that is the kind of stuff that happens because you haven't practiced it enough to be 100% consistent with it.

This is a clip I found that demonstrates where "normal" foot placement is on kicks...typically your toe is lined up with the back of the ball, which then allows you to open up your hips and have your other leg act almost like a "swinging gate" thru the ball.

550px-nowatermark-Kick-a-Field-Goal-Step

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

His foot placement is halfway past the ball itself which is a pretty large overstep...I don't know if he lengthened his steps on approach or didn't set up properly at the start...typically it's some variation of two steps back and one to two steps sideways--each kicker has what they are comfortable with and usually once they have a system in place, they don't change it.  When you are experimenting with a new system or some sort of change to your setup this is that is the kind of stuff that happens because you haven't practiced it enough to be 100% consistent with it.

This is a clip I found that demonstrates where normal foot placement is on kicks...typically your toe is lined up with the back of the ball.

550px-nowatermark-Kick-a-Field-Goal-Step

I remember in HS I was on the football team and the kicker was practicing kicks. I wanted to try. I nailed that damn ball. Except its skated along the ground pretty much lmao.  Never tried to kick again.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

I remember in HS I was on the football team and the kicker was practicing kicks. I wanted to try. I nailed that damn ball. Except its skated along the ground pretty much lmao.  Never tried to kick again.

Hahaha...yeah it took me a lot of tries to consistently hit the right part of the ball to get lift and avoid that.  I played soccer for a long time and the strike point on a soccer ball versus a football is completely different.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is pretty funny: kicking is too easy

now, and a proposal to narrow the posts.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/have-nfl-kickers-gotten-so-good-a-rule-change-is-in-order-204633916.html

Kickers with current records want to preserve them.

I think they should do opposite - make it easier for kickers.  Give each kicker a Mulligen a game.