Bass FG miss tipped?

Dr. K

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Have you ever kicked a football before at all, let alone in a game in live conditions?

Wow!! What a pick!!

Not sure how this is germane to the conversation, but yes I have kicked a football before (never in live conditions). I'm not claiming to be some expert on the matter. I'm just some schlub posting on TBD. 

I'm claiming that his kick against the Dolphins was the worst FG attempt in the NFL this season. Do you have an example of a worse kick?

I'm also claiming that his kick was not in the worst conditions this season. Do you think the field in Miami week 2 was worse than the field in Brazil week 1 ?

Based on the above, and how bad he's looked since the Giants game last season I think it's time to cut bait before this Bass costs us more games. 

10 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Not sure how this is germane to the conversation, but yes I have kicked a football before (never in live conditions). I'm not claiming to be some expert on the matter. I'm just some schlub posting on TBD. 

I'm claiming that his kick against the Dolphins was the worst FG attempt in the NFL this season. Do you have an example of a worse kick?

I'm also claiming that his kick was not in the worst conditions this season. Do you think the field in Miami week 2 was worse than the field in Brazil week 1 ?

Based on the above, and how bad he's looked since the Giants game last season I think it's time to cut bait before this Bass costs us more games. 

It's really irrelevant because his foot slipped. Of course it's going to be a horrible kick. Any time that happens, and it happens quite a bit over the course of a season in the NFL, the kick is going to look like that.

I don't know how they compare. All I know is that players during the game were slipping all over the place and it had rained heavily prior to the game and for several days prior so the field was wet.

He has been fine this year. Has made all the kicks he hasn't slipped on, that's really all you can ask for.

I'm much more upset about his kick out of bounds than I am about a misswd FG when he slipped. It's a one off play, nothing to really see there, unless it starts happening every other kick or something.

Edited by Big Turk

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's really irrelevant because his foot slipped. Of course it's going to be a horrible kick. Any time that happens, and it happens quite a bit over the course of a season in the NFL, the kick is going to look like that.

I don't know how they compare. All I know is that players during the game were slipping all over the place and it had rained heavily prior to the game and for several days prior so the field was wet.

He has been fine this year. Has made all the kicks he hasn't slipped on, that's really all you can ask for.

I'm much more upset about his kick out of bounds than I am about a misswd FG when he slipped. It's a one off play, nothing to really see there.

Admittedly it's a small sample size, but we're 2 weeks in and no other kicker in the league has slipped/missed like that (even though some have played in worse conditions).

This isn't some one-off, it's a long term concerning trend. 

He's kicking 69% in his last 16 games and 55.6% in the last 4 games (regular and post season games combined). That 16 game stretch only includes 3 attempts of 50+ yards of which he made 1. 

Bass has 4 awful misses in his last 4 games (PITT game blocked kick and shanked 27 yarder, KC game missed 44 yarder, and the MIA game missed 45). It's not just that he missed those kicks, it's how those kicks looked. He had a kickoff short of the EZ in the Cards game returned for a TD (***** coverage to be fair) and a kickoff OOB. Weather conditions played a factor in all of those games, be it cold, snow, wind, or a damp field, but do you really trust this guy to make kicks at Orchard Park (or Arrowhead, or Paycore, or anywhere really) in January?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

So far thru 2 weeks the league is 33/37 beyond 50 yards. That's almost 90%. Tyler Bass career (incl. playoffs) is 15/22=68%.  Why in God's name did we extend him to "top 5 money" when he's a bottom 10 kicker?

Big Baller Beane

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

So far thru 2 weeks the league is 33/37 beyond 50 yards. That's almost 90%. Tyler Bass career (incl. playoffs) is 15/22=68%.  Why in God's name did we extend him to "top 5 money" when he's a bottom 10 kicker?

First, I did not like the extension, his numbers were good but he had very little pressure kicks before the extension and even now still has a small amount.  The one big one, he shanked.  But you are cherry picking numbers.  He is 14th in active kickers in FG%, but when he signed he was higher.  Beane likes to lean forward with signings, it worked with Josh and Oliver, this one was a more surprising to me though because they gave him a lot of guaranteed money.  He looks scared to me.  Butker runs on the field and swings his leg warming up on the way out, he just exudes confidence.  Bass is the total opposite.

• Agree 1

On 9/15/2024 at 11:12 PM, Big Turk said:

I'm much more upset about his kick out of bounds than I am about a misswd FG when he slipped. It's a one off play, nothing to really see there, unless it starts happening every other kick or something.

he didn’t slip. He just made a poor kick. Stop defending him. Last week it was the wind. This week you say he slipped when he didn’t. Excuses are going to run out. They aren’t working out kickers if they think Bass is doing a good job. 

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Shank

Just spent like 15 minutes of watching kicking YouTube videos. According to what I saw, You want to kick the ball on the left low side of the ball and sort of swing in to out.

on this kick, Bass planted way too close to the ball and hit it on the right side of the ball. That’s basically how you hook a golf ball too. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

he didn’t slip. He just made a poor kick. Stop defending him. Last week it was the wind. This week you say he slipped when he didn’t. Excuses are going to run out. They aren’t working out kickers if they think Bass is doing a good job. 

Correct

I kicked in HS fwiw

his run up has always been weird to me...too short and not enough angle. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1