Narrative Busting

section122

Narrative:

The NY jets and Miami Dolphins have more talent than the Bills and will be better football teams in 2024, causing the Bills not to win the East and maybe not make the playoffs.

Tua is now out for the foreseeable future.  Rodgers looks a shadow of his former self.  It is pretty clear so far this season, that the AFC East still runs through Orchard Park.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

There's a mental sickness in the people who don't want to give Allen the props he deserves. 

I've been following Twitter and I'm seeing people go from "He's a turnover machine!" to "He's the #2 QB in the league!" pretty quickly. They're just not emotionally ready to consider placing him above Mahomes in anyway. It's an emotional thing. "Allen has to beat Mahomes in the playoffs!" as if 13 seconds never happened, and everybody beats Mahomes in the regular season like Allen does, or like we weren't a centimeter away from throwing a TD to Shakir last year. None of it actually makes sense. It's a nuance subject at least, but people don't want to deal with that. 

From the true hater side, I've been seeing narratives like "Why does he need to do that? He'll get hurt" after the Cardinals hurdle. And now my favorite "There are no good QBs in the league anymore, I miss the 2000s!". 

It's like, if there is even a chance Allen is the best in the league, then it's because the league sucks and not that Allen is that good. And when he does something amazing, instead of saying "Holy sh*t that was unbelievable!" they'll say things to make it seem like it was weird or unnecessary. 

All of this is classic haterade done for millenniums on all the greats. When the guy you hate is doing really good, start looking under the couch for quarters. Anything to keep them from getting the props they deserve. But they're clearly on their heels now, and every week the haters get more and more creative. It's a sickness. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, section122 said:

In a year with a lot of turnover and a lot of new names these things stood out to me as there was a lot  of negativity and consternation headed into this year.  Here are some interesting stats through 2 weeks for the Bills. I'm interested to see what other things can people find.

Narrative:  Josh has to do it all himself

Through 2 games, Josh Allen has 42 pass attempts.  There were 5 games last year where he had 40+ pass attempts.

Through 2 games, Josh has 41 yards rushing on 11 attempts.  He had more rushing yards in 4 of the last 4 games individually as well as more attempts in 3 of the last 4 games.

Narrative: The o-line was great last year, they shouldn't have messed with a good thing and moved a guy who hasn't played C since HS to such an important position

Through 2 games, Josh has been sacked 2 times.  He had 7 games last year where he was sacked at least twice.

Through 2 games, Josh has a 124.2 qb rating.  He only reached that number twice last year.

Narrative:  "everyone eats" is just because they don't have any good WRs not because they want to spread the ball around.

Through 2 games, The Bills do not have a 100 yard receiver.  Total not in either game.  Shakir is the leading receiver and has 96 yards through 2 games.  Next is Keon Coleman at 51 yards.

Narrative: The loss of Poyer, Hyde, and Tre White will cause major problems for the pass defense.

Through 2 games, The 3 leading tacklers on the team are Dorian Williams, Cam Lewis, and Damar Hamlin.

Through 2 games, Ja'Marcus Ingram is leading the team in both interceptions and passes defensed.

Through 2 games, the Bills are giving up 179 yards passing per game.  

Through 2 games we are 2-0. Bust that ya know what I'm sayinnnnnn???

• Agree 1

The Bills had many questions going into the season.  Through 2 games, the Bills are answering some of those questions.  It's a long season, but I like how Miller has looked so far, McGovern moved to center appears to be an upgrade, and young guys on defense stepping up.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I disagreed with the above 2 to begin with:

-The offensive line was not great last year. They had some good games run blocking, but also some games they couldn't do anything Run blocking they certainly were not great to me. And Pass blocking? I think most other QBs other than Allen would have been sacked a lot more.

-Poyer and Hyde, you could see they were losing a step over the last couple of years. Last year was even worse.  A lot of what you lose in their 'experience' I would rather make up with some added athleticisim.

Ah, but that just makes you a homer wearing rose-colored glasses!    The sky really IS falling!!!       //sarcasm off

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

There's a mental sickness in the people who don't want to give Allen the props he deserves. 

I've been following Twitter and I'm seeing people go from "He's a turnover machine!" to "He's the #2 QB in the league!" pretty quickly. They're just not emotionally ready to consider placing him above Mahomes in anyway. It's an emotional thing. "Allen has to beat Mahomes in the playoffs!" as if 13 seconds never happened, and everybody beats Mahomes in the regular season like Allen does, or like we weren't a centimeter away from throwing a TD to Shakir last year. None of it actually makes sense. It's a nuance subject at least, but people don't want to deal with that. 

From the true hater side, I've been seeing narratives like "Why does he need to do that? He'll get hurt" after the Cardinals hurdle. And now my favorite "There are no good QBs in the league anymore, I miss the 2000s!". 

It's like, if there is even a chance Allen is the best in the league, then it's because the league sucks and not that Allen is that good. And when he does something amazing, instead of saying "Holy sh*t that was unbelievable!" they'll say things to make it seem like it was weird or unnecessary. 

All of this is classic haterade done for millenniums on all the greats. When the guy you hate is doing really good, start looking under the couch for quarters. Anything to keep them from getting the props they deserve. But they're clearly on their heels now, and every week the haters get more and more creative. It's a sickness. 

It's Josh Derangement Syndrome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

During the pregame yesterday I heard one of the guys at WGR say this looks more like a Everyone starves kind of offense and not an everyone eats offense.

Drives me nuts there are so many people who make a living talking about sports and are just coasting along.

The offense as a whole didn’t do a lot yesterday.  The D really put them in great position.  They scored 24 points, which is good enough, but only had 2 sustained drives.   They basically stalled right where the D gave them the first TO, got a field goal.  Cook broke the one run on the first play of the series after getting the ball at the 50.  It was exactly what they needed, but let’s not pretend they looked dominant out there.  Shakir and Kincaid were the only players with more than one catch, so that starving theory isn’t that far off.   I’m not trying to be negative, but be realistic about it.  So far the O hasn’t been “impressive”.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 3

58 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The offense as a whole didn’t do a lot yesterday.  The D really put them in great position.  They scored 24 points, which is good enough, but only had 2 sustained drives.   They basically stalled right where the D gave them the first TO, got a field goal.  Cook broke the one run on the first play of the series after getting the ball at the 50.  It was exactly what they needed, but let’s not pretend they looked dominant out there.  Shakir and Kincaid were the only players with more than one catch, so that starving theory isn’t that far off.   I’m not trying to be negative, but be realistic about it.  So far the O hasn’t been “impressive”.

They scored 24 points in the first half.  The dolphins ran the clock out on themselves at half time bc they were so concerned with giving the ball back to the bills.  Then after half the pick 6 ended the game and they ran clock.  They were pretty impressive in the 1st half when they had to be.

It's weird to penalize them for the cook score not being a sustained drive.  They went td, punt, fg, td, td.  They scored tds on 60% of their drives and scored on 80% of drives.  That's impressive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

It's week 2. Let's see what happens with the league getting more and more film of the offensive changes and new defensive personnel and plan before we make definitive statements.

Early last season Ken Dorsey was the OC and they put up 145 points through the first 4 games.

Yes, but the way they up points matters. Buffalo’s offense is much more balanced than anything we’ve ever seen since McDermott got here. They are killing it on the ground and Allen is always available to make an insane play when they need it. Dorsey’s offenses always seemed inconsistent and Allen-reliant. The difference is we are out-physicalling (I know it’s not a word) other teams which is a first for a team that was much more technical in the past. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, section122 said:

They scored 24 points in the first half.  The dolphins ran the clock out on themselves at half time bc they were so concerned with giving the ball back to the bills.  Then after half the pick 6 ended the game and they ran clock.  They were pretty impressive in the 1st half when they had to be.

It's weird to penalize them for the cook score not being a sustained drive.  They went td, punt, fg, td, td.  They scored tds on 60% of their drives and scored on 80% of drives.  That's impressive.

Yes, they scored and ultimately that’s what matters.  That said, they didn’t exactly move the ball, they had a whopping 247 yards of offense and 13 first downs.  The defense set the O up very well; they scored 24 pts on 180 yards, that is not possible without extremely short fields.  They had one drive that would be a “normal” length drive.   I’m not trying to take anything away from them, they played the game and won, but the fact outsiders aren’t impressed with the offense isn’t unreasonable.   Allen’s stats for 2 games look like his typical stat line for one of his good days.  The leading receivers numbers are pedestrian and the RB yardage isn’t anything special either.  So I fail to see why anyone is shocked that critics are finding the offense underwhelming so far.  The idea that everyone is starving isn’t far off, they haven’t been passing a ton and everyone is getting a tiny morsel.  Shakir is the only one who got a decent amount of targets both games.

All that said, it COULD be a really good thing.  It makes it hard to scheme against if there’s nobody to target.  Also it appears they will adjust the plan to the opponent.  As long as points keep going on the board and wins stack up, I don’t care how they do it (as long as JA is healthy).

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Yes, they scored and ultimately that’s what matters.  That said, they didn’t exactly move the ball, they had a whopping 247 yards of offense and 13 first downs.  The defense set the O up very well; they scored 24 pts on 180 yards, that is not possible without extremely short fields.  They had one drive that would be a “normal” length drive.   I’m not trying to take anything away from them, they played the game and won, but the fact outsiders aren’t impressed with the offense isn’t unreasonable.   Allen’s stats for 2 games look like his typical stat line for one of his good days.  The leading receivers numbers are pedestrian and the RB yardage isn’t anything special either.  So I fail to see why anyone is shocked that critics are finding the offense underwhelming so far.  The idea that everyone is starving isn’t far off, they haven’t been passing a ton and everyone is getting a tiny morsel.  Shakir is the only one who got a decent amount of targets both games.

All that said, it COULD be a really good thing.  It makes it hard to scheme against if there’s nobody to target.  Also it appears they will adjust the plan to the opponent.  As long as points keep going on the board and wins stack up, I don’t care how they do it (as long as JA is healthy).

There was absolutely no reason for the offense to try to go from second gear to third gear, let alone fourth or fifth. 

For one thing, why show the rest of the league more than necessary?

For another thing, why subject players to injury?

For another thing, it's pretty low-class to pour it on when the other team is waving a white flag and is losing by an insurmountable difference.  Not only low-class, but the Bills do need to play the Dolphins again this year.  It's one thing for the Dolphins to tell each other, we got whooped so we need to play better, but everyone knows they lost because they aren't that good, and so the team just expects another loss.  It's another thing if the Bills embarrassed them by putting up 50.  Even a Tua-less Dolphins team would play like lions especially if the Bills are cruising toward the playoffs, and the Dolphins could hurt our seeding.  

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, section122 said:

In a year with a lot of turnover and a lot of new names these things stood out to me as there was a lot  of negativity and consternation headed into this year.  Here are some interesting stats through 2 weeks for the Bills. I'm interested to see what other things can people find.

Through 2 games, Josh Allen has 42 pass attempts.  There were 5 games last year where he had 40+ pass attempts.

Through 2 games, Josh has 41 yards rushing on 11 attempts.  He had more rushing yards in 4 of the last 4 games individually as well as more attempts in 3 of the last 4 games.

Narrative: The o-line was great last year, they shouldn't have messed with a good thing and moved a guy who hasn't played C since HS to such an important position

Through 2 games, Josh has been sacked 2 times.  He had 7 games last year where he was sacked at least twice.

Through 2 games, Josh has a 124.2 qb rating.  He only reached that number twice last year.

Narrative:  "everyone eats" is just because they don't have any good WRs not because they want to spread the ball around.

Through 2 games, The Bills do not have a 100 yard receiver.  Total not in either game.  Shakir is the leading receiver and has 96 yards through 2 games.  Next is Keon Coleman at 51 yards.

Narrative: The loss of Poyer, Hyde, and Tre White will cause major problems for the pass defense.

Through 2 games, The 3 leading tacklers on the team are Dorian Williams, Cam Lewis, and Damar Hamlin.

Through 2 games, Ja'Marcus Ingram is leading the team in both interceptions and passes defensed.

Remember defend your narrative if current team stats disprove them right now!

image.png.68c2835e968ee179a15b38212ff92214.png

12 hours ago, section122 said:

The Bills are off to a good start and there are a lot of encouraging signs.

12 hours ago, Malazan said:

There's one narrative that matters. It's that they can't beat KC in the playoffs and get to a Superbowl.

Good on you for embracing that thought. Guard it zealously. Invoke it often.

6 hours ago, DCofNC said:

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The Bills had 59 yards of offense in the 2nd half because they weren't trying to score. Both teams were playing out the second half to avoid injuries.

The stats you post are meaningless.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 4

On 9/13/2024 at 5:58 PM, DCofNC said:

let the defense take the win....

I have never seen anything like this team.   It's more than just Blue and Red Fan-Foria too.  So many weapons.  

Phrase of the NFL season "Everyone Eats" 

On 9/14/2024 at 1:32 AM, SoonerBillsFan said:

Its just 2 games, we can't bust any Narratives until at least December.

I'd put that at late October or early November, but yeah, this is the right idea.

The rest of the season might look like these two games, or maybe totally different. Too early to say at this point. This really is too small a sample size.

Sure looks good so far, though.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1